Comparatives and Superlatives Sentence Transformation for B1 - PET Cambridge
Comparatives and Superlatives Sentence Transformation for B1 - PET CambridgeDescripción completa
Comparatives and Superlatives Sentence Transformation for B1 - PET CambridgeFull description
Sentence Completion Questions on CATFull description
SENTENCE TRANSFORMATION PRACTICE LEVEL B Rewrite each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed above it : 1. Tom is sorry that he he didn’t didn’t watch watch the footba football ll match match last last night. night. - Tom wishes ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 2. The test test we did yester yesterday day was so so difficult difficult that that we couldn’t couldn’t finish finish it in two hours. hours. - Yesterday we did ____________________________ _________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________ ______________________________________ _____ 3. “How “How many many studen students ts are are there there in your your clas class s ?” - The man asked me _______________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________ 4. “You “You sho shoul uld d go to to the the lect lectur ure” e” - The teacher advised us _______________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________ ____ 5. You must must hurry hurry or or we’ll we’ll miss miss the the train train.. - Unless we ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 6. It’s It’s not not diffic difficult ult to make make bread. bread. - Bread is ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 7. Jack said, “I have have studied studied English English for five five years, years, Mary.” Mary.” - Jack told_______________________________________________________________ told________________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________ 8. Unless Unless they they leave a lamp beside beside that hole, hole, somebod somebody y will fall fall into into it. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 9. The work workers ers repa repaire ired d the brid bridge ge last last week. week. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 10. No one could could open the door door of the house. house. - The door ________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________ 11. The city city where we were were born is very very small. - The city in _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 12. She has studied studied French French for five five years. - She S he began______________________________________________________________________________________________________ began______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 13. They left very early in the morning. They didn’t want anybody to see them.(so that) -_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 14. He collects collects old old coins. coins. He is likes it. it. - He is fond______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 15. She said, said, “ Have you got a new new car, Jack Jack ?” - She asked______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 16. He said to her, her, “ Give my regards regards to your parents parents.” .” - He told_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 17. “Don’t talk talk to that that man”, she she said. - She told ______________________________ ____________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________ 18. I didn’t understand the lesson because I didn’t go to school school yesterday. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 19. Jane can’t can’t go to your party because because you don’t invite invite her. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 20. They haven’t haven’t finished finished their homework homework yet. yet. - Their homework ______________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________ 21. Jim was absent absent because because he was ill. ill. - Because of_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 22. We were late for for the play because of the long line at the ticket-window. ticket-window. - Because there _________________________________________________________________________________________________ 23. I couldn’t couldn’t see anything anything because because it was so dark. - Because of_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 24. Because the weather weather is warm and damp, rice grows very well well here. - Because of_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 25. Jane never says a hard word to Tom Tom because of her love for him. - Because Jane___________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________ 26. Nobody Nobody could solve this mathematic mathematical al problem. _______________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ _______________________ → This _________________________ 27. They believe believe that he will pass pass the final exam. exam. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________ → He ____________________________________________________________________ 28. She was too too old to carry carry that heavy heavy case. → She was so ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 29. He seldom seldom keeps keeps his promise. promise. → Seldom________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 30. I have never never travelled travelled by plane in my life. life. → Never __________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ __________________________________ 31. Jack is not not old enough enough to see horror horror films. films. → Jack is too ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
32. You will catch cold if you don’t keep your feet dry. → Unless ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 33. People saw him leave the office yesterday. → He ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 34. She came late because of the rain. → Because it ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 35. “You’d better not lend them any more money.” said Alice. → Alice advised _________________________________________________________________________________________________ 36. She decided to help him with some money. → She made _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 37. We have to notice the teacher’s explanation. → We have to pay _______________________________________________________________________________________________ 38. This flower is very beautiful. → What__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 39. He spent 2 hours doing the mathematical exercises. → It took ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 40. They have to change the date of the meeting again. → The date ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 41. It was so late that nothing could be done. → It was too _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 42. I didn’t go out because it rained. → If _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 43. I have fewer books than she has. → She has _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 44. Mary visited us three days ago. → Mary paid _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 45. The plumber repaired the leak this morning. → They had _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 46. Although he’s got an English name, he is in fact German. → Despite________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 47. I found a place to live but it was difficult. → I had difficulty_________________________________________________________________________________________________ 48. The book was so good that I couldn’t put it down. → They had _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 49. He’s fat because he doesn’t take any exercises. → But if _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 50. Turn off all the switches before leaving the workshop. → All the switches _______________________________________________________________________________________________ 51. “You’d better not go out without a raincoat.”He said. → He advised____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 52. You will miss the train if you don’t hurry. → Unless you____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 53. That factory is producing more and more pollution. → More and more pollution ______________________________________________________________________________________ 54. My brother is not tall.I am not tall. → Neither _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 55. Although his leg was broken,he managed to get out of the car. → In spite _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 56. The driver said, “Don’t get off the bus while it’s moving!” → The driver asked the passengers ______________________________________________________________________________ 57. He repaired the bicycle in two hours. → It took ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 58. I have never heard him shout at his children. → He ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 59. The enemy used to attack this place. → This place _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 60. Doing exercises before going to school is important. → It is ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 61. Rice won’t grow if there isn’t enough rain. → Unless ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 62. “Why don’t you close the door, John ?”, Nam asked. → Nam asked ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 63. We have been doing our work since 8 o’clock. → Our work _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 64. They didn’t leave the house early. They were so late for the play. → If _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
65. She won’t stay with us. → I wish _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 66. Keep quiet or I’ll scream. - Unless _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 67. I regret speaking to him so severely yesterday. - I wish __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 68. Unless he phones immediately, he won’t get any information. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 69. We got lost because we didn’t have a map. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 70. We didn’t have enough rain, so we could not grow rice. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 71. The sky was so clear that I could see millions of stars. - It was __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 72. It was such long homework that I couldn’t finish it. - The homework _________________________________________________________________________________________________ 73. It’s a long time since I last went to a football match. - I haven’t _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 74. The last time I saw Dick was in 1995. - I haven’t _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 75. We had lunch and then went for a walk by the river. - After we _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 76. He said to his wife,”Are you cooking in the kitchen now?” - He _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 77. He said ,”I didn’t know what to do.” - He _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 78. I said to him,”How did you go to school yesterday?” - I _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 79. He said to the boy,”Put your briefcase on this table.” - He _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 80. The boy said to his friends,”Don’t make too much noise!” - The boy ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 81. I started work for this company a year ago. - I‘ve been _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 82. “You’d better not lend him any more money, Paul,” said Tom. - Tom advised Paul ______________________________________________________________________________________________ 83. Tom is not as tall as his brother. - Tom’s brother __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 84. Although the traffic was bad, I arrived on time. - In spite of ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 85. His father is taller than his mother. - His mother _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 86. Will you please open the door ? → Would you mind ______________________________________________________________________________________________ 87. Although it was raining heavily, they still came to the party. → Despite _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 88. She seldom went to the movies last year. → Seldom _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 89. He has decided to make a tour of England. → He has made _________________________________________________________________________________________________ 90. He often swims with his friends. → He often has __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 91. She sometimes walks with her pet dog. → She sometimes has ___________________________________________________________________________________________ 92. They decided to go to the zoo in spite of the heavy rain. → Though _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 93. Because the weather was bad,the plane couldn’t take off. → Because of ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 94. They had no intention of travelling around the world. → They didn’t intend ____________________________________________________________________________________________ 95. He said to me, “I don’t want you to make such a silly mistake again” → He told _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 96. She said, “I didn’t know you.” → She said ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 97. The boy said, “I don’t know what I’ll do” → The boy said __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 98. She asked him, “Have you read this book ?” → She asked him ________________________________________________________________________________________________ 99. He asked, “Why didn’t you come to school yesterday?”
He asked _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 100. The teacher said to me, “You have to learn the lesson by heart.” → The teacher told ______________________________________________________________________________________________ 101. Somebody has taken away some of my books. → Some of my books ____________________________________________________________________________________________ 102. They can’t make tea with cold water. → Tea ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ →
103. He has made much progress in his study. → Much progress ________________________________________________________________________________________________ 104. They will hold the meeting before May Day. → The meeting __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 105. People spend a lot of money on advertising every year. → A lot of money ______________________________________________ 106. The store was opened in 1932 by John. → John __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 107. We can avoid waiting by booking the tickets in advance. → If _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 108. The teacher asked me whether I had any books. → “Do ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 109. “I like films, books and music” Mike replied. → Mike said that _________________________________________________________________________________________________ 110. It took Jane three hours to sort out her stamps. → Jane spent ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 111. That scientific discovery was so important that it has affected every man’s way of life. → That was such ________________________________________________________________________________________________ 112. He was given a chance to stay on at this garage. → They __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 113. They said that he had left Paris secretly in his private car. → He ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 114. He made a great discovery. He was very proud of it. → He was very proud of _________________________________________________________________________________________ 115. We’ve never talked to an interesting person like you before. → Never before __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 116. They cancelled the flight because it was foggy. → Because of ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 117. Because the traffic is heavy, I sometimes come to my office late. → Because of ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 118. I’m sorry I missed your birthday party. → I wish _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 119. You’d better put your money in the bank. → I advise _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 120. He prefers golf to tennis. → He’d rather ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 121. It is necessary to master English. → Mastering _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 122. He spent two hours writing the essay. → It took ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 123. He is too young to ride a motorbike. → He isn’t _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 124. The bag was so heavy that she couldn’t carry it upstairs. → The bag was too ______________________________________________________________________________________________ 125. He expects to hear from her as soon as possible. → He is looking forward _________________________________________________________________________________________ 126. Her mother said, “Try to learn your lesson carefully, Lan”. -> Lan’s mother told ___________________________________ 127. Mary doesn’t have a modern calculator . - Mary wishes _______________________________________ 128. He never does his homework. - Never _____________________________________________ 129. He studied English at school. He succeeded in it. - He succeeded in _____________________________________ 130. The children like to walk in the rain. - The children enjoy ____________________________________ 131. The children couldn’t go swimming because the sea was rough. - The sea was too _______________________________________ 132. Who does this bicycle belong to? - Whose _______________________________________________?
133. We learned this after a long time. - It took _________________________________________________ 134. I’ll lend you the book, but you must promise to return it next week. - If _____________________________________________________ 135. The car is too expensive for him to buy. - He isn’t _________________________________________________ 136. Would you close the door, please? - Would you mind __________________________________________? 137. They didn’t allow us to smoke in here. - They didn’t let _____________________________________________ 138. My teacher advised buying that book. - My teacher advised us _______________________________________ 139. The thief forced the bank manager to lie on the ground. - The thief made _____________________________________________ 140. He has studied English for six years. - He began ___________________________________________________ 141. They have considered me as their great friend. → I ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 142. She looked after her old mother at home. → Her old mother _______________________________________________________________________________________________ 143. They are growing trees round their school to make a fence. → Trees _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 144. We have to pay attention to lessons. → Lessons _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 145. “How many stars are there in the sky?” asked he. → He asked _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 146. Because of the absence of atmosphere on the moon, the sky is black just as in space. → Because ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 147. I advise you to put your money in the bank. → You’d _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 148. “Don’t leave the house until I get back, William!” his mother said. → William’s mother ______________________________________________________________________________________________ 149. Robert can’t cook so well as Jane can. → Jane __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 150. You ‘d better apologize to Sally. → I advise _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 151. She worked hard. She wanted to become a good teacher of English.(..so that ..) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ → 152. The sportsmen take first place at the Olympic Games. They receive gold medals. → The sportsmen wh- ___________________________________________________________________________________________ 153. Mr.Miller lost his job because he was late every day. → If _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 154. They travelled across India, and then flew to Japan. → After __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 155. They asked him about the countries. He visited them last month. → They asked ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 156. He gave me a book for my birthday. → I ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 157. Your house is bigger than mine. → My house _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 158. The question was so difficult that we can’t answer it. → The question was too _________________________________________________________________________________________ 159. He did his homework,then he went to bed. → After __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 160. Jane doesn’t speak English as well as Betty. → Betty _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 161. We can’t work. We don’t use a good dictionary. - Without ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 162. He must practise it everyday. That is the only way for him to be successful. - Only by_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 163. He is going to retire at the end of the term. It was decided. - The fact that____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 164. His father didn’t want to watch TV. His wife didn’t want to watch TV. - Neither_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 165. He was ill. He went to school. - In spite of_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 166. Think carefully. Answer my question. - Before _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 167. I can’t cook as well as my mother does.
- My mother _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 168. Unless it stops raining,we won’t go out. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 169. She cooked better than you did. - You ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 170. Unless someone has a key,we can’t get into the house. - We can only ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 171. Because of her carefulness, she didn’t make any mistakes in her answers. - Because _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 172. She said, ‘I spent my holiday in Italy last year.” - She said _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 173. She didn’t buy it because the price was too high. - Because of _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 174. We didn’t go on holiday because we didn’t have enough money. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 175. The question was so difficult that we can’t answer it. - The question was too___________________________________________________________________________________________ 176. My father said I could use his car. → My father allowed _____________________________________________________________________________________________ 177. Scientists began to carry out researches on AIDS in 1980. → Researches on AIDS___________________________________________________________________________________________ 178. That girl is very beautiful. → How___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 179. The last time I wrote to him was in 1996. → I haven’t______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 180. It took him only ten minutes to get there. → He spent______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 181. I didn’t meet him yesterday so I couldn’t tell him about that. → If______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 182. Could you turn the radio down please? → Would you mind ______________________________________________________________________________________________ 183. The man was very tired , so he didn’t answer my question. → The man was too______________________________________________________________________________________________ 184. Nobody could move the piano. It was too heavy. → It was such____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 185. You’d better apologize to Sally. → I advise________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 186. All the teachers love him because his behaviour is good. - Because of _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 187. He gave up his job because he was ill. - Because of _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 188. Because of the darkness, he couldn’t read the letter. - Because it _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 189. Mr. David no longer works here. - No longer ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 190. I didn’t have time. I didn’t go shopping. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 191. They had converted the major part of the temple into “Lenin’s room”. - The major part of the temple ___________________________________________________________________________________ 192. I’m sorry that I didn’t learnt to type. - I wish __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 193. She has to quit smoking or she will die. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 194. He spent a whole day repairing the radio. - It took _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 195. More newspapers are being sold in this city. - People _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 196. She sings more beautifully than you do. - You don’t ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 197. You had to pay the bill before the fifth of the month. - The bill _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 198. The tea was too hot for her to drink. - The tea was so _________________________________________________________________________________________________ 199. If it doesn’t rain, they will go for a picnic. - Unless__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 200. The child will die if nobody sends for a doctor. - Unless__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 201. I don’t have enough money, so I can’t buy a computer. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 202. If you don’t rest yourself you will be ill.
- Unless__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 203. It was such a crazy story that nobody believe it. - The story ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 204. They had such a good crop that they decided to give a party. - Their crop ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 205. “How long will it take us to get there?” she said. - She wanted to know ____________________________________________________________________________________________ 206. The child is living with his aunt. His parents died in the air crash. - The child wh-___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 207. This place used to be the site of an animal market. You were standing there. - This place,______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 208. If she doesn’t work harder, she’ll lose her job. - Unless _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 209. We must leave now, or we will miss the plane. - We will miss ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 210. They will change the day of the meeting again. - The day ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 211. Unless they leave a lamp beside that hole, somebody will fall into it. - If _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 212. The workers repaired the bridge last week. - The bridge _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 213. No one could open the door of the house. - The door _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 214. The city where we were born is very small. - The city in _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 215. She has studied French for five years. - She started ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 216. They left very early in the morning. They didn’t want anybody to see them. - They_____________ ______________ so that ________________________________________________________________________ 217. He collects old coins. He is interested in it. - He is interested ________________________________________________________________________________________________ 218. The last time I saw her was in 1985. - I haven’t________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 219. That meal was excellent. - How____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 220. That factory is producing more and more pollution. - More and more pollution _______________________________________________________________________________________ 221. We must leave now or we’ll miss the train. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 222. She is a faster and more careless driver than I am. - She drives _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 223. How old do you think this building is? - When do you think______________________________________________________________________________________________ 224. He is sorry now that he didn’t invite Jane to his party. - He wishes______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 225. This furniture is so old that it is not worth keeping. - This is__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 226. We spent five hours getting to London. - It_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 227. When I arrived in London, I wrote a letter home. - On______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 228. I hope to see you at Christmas. - I’m looking forward_____________________________________________________________________________________________ 229. I’ve never seen such a mess in my life. - Never in my life_________________________________________________________________________________________________ 230. Don’t try to escape. It’s no use. - It’s no use______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 231. It won’t be difficult to get a ticket for the concert. - You won’t have any_____________________________________________________________________________________________ 232. Whose is this handbag? - Who __________________________________________________________________________________________________________? 233. My father often walks in the park with my mother every morning. → My father often has ___________________________________________________________________________________________ 234. They seldom went to the cinema last year. → Seldom________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 235. We didn’t intend to go for a walk with them. → We had________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 236. He doesn’t smoke anymore, but he smoked a lot 2 year ago. → He used to____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 237. Apples are usually cheaper than oranges.
Apples are not_________________________________________________________________________________________________ 238. My salary is high but his is very high. → His salary_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 239. I can’t cook as well as my mother does. → My mother____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 240. Unless it stops raining,we won’t go out. → If______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 241. She didn’t cook as well as you did. → You____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 242. Unless someone has a key,we can’t get into the house. → We can only___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 243. Because of being careful, she didn’t make any mistakes in her answers. → Because she___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 244. She said,”I’ll spend my holiday in Italy next year.” → She said_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 245. She didn’t buy it because the price was too high. → Because of____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 246. We didn’t go on holiday because we didn’t have enough money. → If we__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 247. The question was so difficult that we can’t answer it. → The question was too__________________________________________________________________________________________ 248. She has just completed the picture. The composition of the picture was suggested by me. - The picture_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 249. Such a situation should never again be allowed to arise. - Never again____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 250. If you want to make your life worth living, make yourself useful. - Making youself useful___________________________________________________________________________________________ 251. They said he had left Paris secretly in his private car. - It_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 252. Tom didn’t do his test well because he didn’t study his lessons carefully. - If Tom__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 253. They had such a good crop that they decided to give a party. - The crop was___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 254. He made a great discovery. He took pride in it. - He took pride___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 255. You may be intelligent, but you should be careful about this. - No matter______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 256. He asked me if I was ready to carry out other assignments. - He said to me: “_______________________________________________________________________________________________“ 257. “Which of you has put the ink on my chair ?” The teacher said . - The teacher asked______________________________________________________________________________________________ 258. I must thank the people. I got a present from them. -_______________________________________________________ 259. The people were nice. We visited their house. -_______________________________________________________ 260. The town is small. I grew up there. -_______________________________________________________ 261. Yesterday I ran across an old friend. I hadn’t seen him for years. -_______________________________________________________ 262. 1960 is the year. The revolution took place then. -_______________________________________________________ 263. Mr. Lee teaches chemistry. I met him yesterday. -_______________________________________________________ 264. Martin speaks both Spanish and English . Her mother is Spanish. -_______________________________________________________ 265. I haven’t seen him since the year. They got married in that year. -_______________________________________________________ 266. We finished the work in two hours. → It took ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 267. To advertise this new kind of soap is necessary. → We find it _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 268. I’m very pleased that I’ll go to London next week. → I’m looking ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 269. He started playing football five years ago. → He has ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 270. Whose is the car? It’s parked outside. → Whose ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 271. The room is going to be painted next week. → We ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ →
272. We must finish those letters by 5 o’clock. → Those letters __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 273. Because of driving too fast, he caused a serious accident. → Because he ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 274. She wrote a letter in thirty minutes. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 275. Tom finds it difficult to meet people. → Tom has ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 276. I expect that he will get there by lunch time. → I expect him __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 277. Keep quiet or I’ll scream. → Unless ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 278. I regret speaking to him so severely yesterday. → I wish _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 279. Unless he phones immediately, he won’t get any information. → If______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 280. We got lost because we didn’t have a map. → If______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 281. We didn’t have enough rain, so we could not grow rice. → If______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 282. The sky was so clear that I could see millions of stars. → It was_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 283. It was such a long homework that I couldn’t finish it. → The home work _______________________________________________________________________________________________ 284. It’s a long time since I last went to a football match. → I haven’t ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 285. The last time I saw Dick was in 1985. → I haven’t ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 286. Jane doesn’t speak English as well as Betty. → Betty _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 287. He did his homework, then he went to bed. → After he _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 288. Your house is bigger than mine. → My house _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 289. The lesson is so difficult that we can’t understand it. → It is such ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 290. The weather was so cold that we didn’t go out. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 291. The room was so dark that I couldn’t see anything. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 292. The car is so old that he can’t drive it. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 293. The book is so bad that nobody read it. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 294. The homework is so long that I can’t finish it. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 295. The film was so interesting that we couldn’t miss it. → It _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 296. He usually played tennis on Sundays, but now he doesn’t any more. → He usually used _______________________________________________________________________________________________ 297. The British people drive on the left. They are used to it . → The British people are used ___________________________________________________________________________________ 298. We have lived in the countryside for many years. We are used to it. → We are used __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 299. They lived in a big city many year ago. Now they live in a small village. → They used ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 300. She travelled a lot , but now she doesn’t any more. → She used _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 301. My boss doesn’t smoke in his office. He isn’t used to it. → He isn’t used __________________________________________________________________________________________________ 302. Japanese men don’t shake hands to say good-bye. → Japanese men aren’t used ____________________________________________________________________________________ 303. American women earn their own money. They are used to it. → American women are used ____________________________________________________________________________________ 304. Ann enjoyed classical music a lot. But now she likes pop music. → Ann used _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 305. My father smoked a lot. But he gave up smoking a week ago.
My father used ________________________________________________________________________________________________ 306. His father is taller than his mother . - His mother is not_______________________________________________________________________________________________ 307. Tom didn’t come to the party. Ann didn’t come to the party, either. - Neither Tom____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 308. Although the traffic was bad, I arrived on time. - In spite of_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 309. If you have a car, you are able to travel around more easily. - Having a car enables___________________________________________________________________________________________ 310. The sudden noise caused me to jump. - The sudden noise made_________________________________________________________________________________________ 311. My father said I could use his car. - My father allowed_______________________________________________________________________________________________ 312. She wouldn’t allow me to read the letter. - She wouldn’t let________________________________________________________________________________________________ 313. Tom is ill. He became ill three days ago. - Tom has________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 314. I can’t give up smoking, but I’d like to. - I wish __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 315. She often writes to him and he often writes to her. - They____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 316. The teacher explained the lesson again. He wanted his students to grasp the main points of this difficult lesson. (so that) - The teacher_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ →
317. They’re taking a train from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi. They want to see more and their trip will cost less. (so that) - They’re_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 318. We decided to leave early for the picnic. We didn’t want to get home late. - We_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 319. I suggest you take a map of the city with you. I don’t want you to get lost. - You_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 320. I spoke very slowly. I wanted the man to understand what I said. - I________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 321. My brother lent me this book. - I________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 322. The children were frightened by the noise. - The noise_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 323. The crops are late this year because the weather is cold. - Because of_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 324. They didn’t go to the movies because of the bad weather. - Because________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 325. He walked slowly because of his injured legs. - Because_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 326. He retired last month because of his illness. - Because________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 327. Could you open the door, please? - Would you mind________________________________________________________________________________________________ 328. My teacher asked me, “Where did you go last night ?” - My teacher asked_______________________________________________________________________________________________ 329. She said, “I don’t know what I’ll do.” - She said________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 330. My friend had excellent ideas. He did a good job, too. (not only ..... but ...... as well) -_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 331. He didn’t go to school yesterday, so he didn’t understand the lesson. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 332. People say that the price of gold is going up. - If_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 333. I hadn’t known her until he told me. - Not until________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 334. She never in life felt happy. - Never in life____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 335. I thanked the woman. This woman had helped me. - I thanked ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 336. Do you know the building ? The windows of the building are painted green. - Do you _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 337. I recently went back to the town. I was born in that town nearly 15 years ago. - I _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 338. I went to see the house. I used to live in it. - I _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 339. She asked him,”Have you read that book ? “
- She asked______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 340. He asked me ,”Why didn’t you go to class yesterday?”_____________________________________________________ - She asked______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 341. If you don’t hurry, you’ll be late. - Unless__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 342. Jane is a better cook than Mary. - Mary can’t______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 343. Jack is too young to get married. - Jack is not______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 344. I don’t really want to go to the museum. - I’d rather_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 345. Despite taking a taxi, Bill arrived late for the concert. - Although _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 346. She made herself ill because she worked very hard. - She worked so__________________________________________________________________________________________________ 347. The book was so good that I couldn’t put it down. - It was such_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 348. Nobody can solve this problem. - This problem___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 349. The man injured in the accident was taken to the hospital. - The man who___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 350. That girl is very beautiful. - What___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 351. He studied English at school. He succeeded in it. - He succeeded in________________________________________________________________________________________________ 352. She went to the bookshop. She wanted to buy a dictionary. - She went to the bookshop in order______________________________________________________________________________ 353. We visited Hyde Park. It is a very big park in London. - We visited Hyde Park, __________________________________________________________________________________________ 354. The man turned off the lights. He went out. - Turning_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 355. Tom was punished by the teacher. He was very sad. - Tom was very sad about________________________________________________________________________________________ 356. “Please sit down”, the teacher said to me. - The teacher asked me__________________________________________________________________________________________ 357. Let’s go camping now. - Why don’t______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 358. I fell asleep because the film was boring. - The film was so_________________________________________________________________________________________________ 359. “What are you doing?”, she asked me. - She wondered__________________________________________________________________________________________________ 360. Cars cause pollution but people still want them. - Although________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 361. Please don’t play your music so loudly. - Would you mind _______________________________________________________________________________________________? 362. I don’t find it difficult to get up early in the morning. - I am used ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 363. Larry didn’t buy the shirt because she didn’t have enough money. - If Larry_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 364. “When did you leave school?” the interviewer asked me. - The interviewer asked me ______________________________________________________________________________________ 365. Employment is the most important thing to the youth today. - Employment is said_____________________________________________________________________________________________ 366. They spend half an hour watching the news on TV every day. - It takes_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 367. She was seriously ill but she enjoyed life very much. - Although________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 368. “Do you like music?” Jane asked Lan. - Jane asked Lan_________________________________________________________________________________________________ 369. I am sorry to have kept you waiting. - I must apologize________________________________________________________________________________________________ 370. It is more dangerous to ride a motorbike than to drive a car. - Riding__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 371. He is too young to understand this problem. - He isn’t_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 372. They worked very hard in spite of their old age. - Although________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 373. Shall we go for a ride ? - What about____________________________________________________________________________________________________? 374. Would you please do it for me ? - Would you mind_______________________________________________________________________________________________?
375. They don’t usually drink beer. - They are not used______________________________________________________________________________________________ 376. The flight was delayed because of the bad weather. - Because the weather___________________________________________________________________________________________ 377. “Why didn’t you make an appointment earlier?”the doctor asked. - The doctor asked her___________________________________________________________________________________________ 378. The bridge was so low that the lorry couldn’t go under it. - It was such_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 379. Someone was cleaning the classroom when we arrived. - The classroom__________________________________________________________________________________________________ 380. We didn’t go on holiday because we didn’t have enough money. - If we____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 381. “What’s your name?”, said the policeman to the little boy. - The policeman asked the little boy______________________________________________________________________________ 382. Jane can swim further than I can. - I can’t swim____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 383. He didn’t go to school because of his illness. - Because he____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 384. They went out in spite of the heavy rain. - Although________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 385. I’ll help you if you promise to work harder. - Unless__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 386. She doesn’t usually stay up late. - She is not used_________________________________________________________________________________________________ 387. Somebody stole his watch yesterday. - His watch_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 388. The wardrobe was so heavy that we couldn’t move it. - It was such_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 389. “Peter, please don’t tell anyone my new address”. said Anna. - Anna asked_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 390. Laser can kill diseased cells while leaving healthy neighbours unharmed. - Diseased cells__________________________________________________________________________________________________ 391. The last time she had a swim was five years ago. - She_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 392. The children went to bed. We watched television. - After the children_______________________________________________________________________________________________ 393. It was so dark that nothing could be seen. - It was too_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 394. Nobody invited her to the party. - She_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 395. He spoke very loudly. He wanted everyone to hear him.(so that) - He___________________________so that____________________________________________________________________________ 396. Nam is sorry now that he didn’t accept the job. - Nam now wishes that___________________________________________________________________________________________ 397. I was very busy. I couldn’t go to the meeting. - If I______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 398. I wanted to see Mr Brown. I phoned his company. - Because I_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 399. He gets up early in the morning and he’s used to it. - He’s used to____________________________________________________________________________________________________