Juego de tablero para practicar la voz pasiva en ESODescripción completa
RPP PASSIVE VOICE K13Full description
bahasa inggrisDeskripsi lengkap
RPP PASSIVE VOICE K13Full description
ejercicios de voz pasiva en inglesDescripción completa
THE PASSIVE VOICE SECTION I. THE FORMATION OF THE PASSIVE VOICE To be + Participle 2 Tense S I M P L E
C O N T I N U O U S P E R F E C T P E R F . C O N T
a& is as!e$ are %as %ere as!e$ %ill be as!e$
a& is are
a& is are
Note the action is done to the subject He as!s/ He is as!e$
He is as!in'/ He is bein' as!e$
%as %ere as!in' %ill be as!in'
%as bein' as!e$ %ere (((
Have )as as!e$ Ha$ as!e$
)ave )as )a$
*ill )ave as!e$
%ill )ave been as!e$
Have )as been as!in'
as!in'..for.../ )as He as!e$...for...
been as!e$ been as!e$
)a$ been as!in'
%ill %ill )ave )ave be been en as!in'
a& are 'oin' to as! is 'oin' to be as!e$ is are
He %ill be as!e$. He )as as!e$/ He )as been as!e$
He is going to ask He is going to be asked
can/could may/might must/have to should/would should/would needn’t
be $one )ave been $one
The sb/ect of a passive verb corresponds to the ob/ect of an active verb SU SUBJECT Passie! This house was built in in 1486
SUBJECT German is spoken in Austria
in 1486 "ctie! They built this house in #BJECT
Austrians speak German German #BJECT
0SES OF THE PASSIVE VOICE PEC0,IAR TO THE EN1,ISH ,AN10A1E
Passie sentences describe $hat happens to peop%e or things& often as a resu%t of action b' other peop%e or things. 1. (e use the passie $hen it is not so i)portant *or unkno$n+ $ho or $hat did the action. • ,' artic%e %as pblis)e$ 'esterda'. • -o)e %asnt bilt in one da'. • The origin of the Unierse %ill be e3plaine$. n thes thesee kind kindss of cont conte et& t& the the pers person on do doin ing g the the acti action on is ofte often n no nott i)portant& or it is difficu%t to sa' $ho it is. 2. t0s $rong to consider the passie to be another $a' of epressing a sentence in the actie oice. (e use it on%' $hen $e don0t $ant to sa' $ho did it. • He%en %ikes Eng%ish *But not English is lied by !elen 2. t sounds funn' in Eng%ish+. 3. #n%' the erb $hich take on ob3ect can go into the passie. ntransitie erbs can0t be used in the Passie oice. The' are! " to #ly$ to arrive 4 to be$ to become
" to have$ to lac$ to %ossess$ to consist$ to belong " to hold$ to suit$ to resemble$ to #it " to a%%ear$ to seem$ to come $to go$ to last • The ha%% )ol$s 677 peop%e. • The' )ave a nice house. • ,' shoes $ont 4it )e. • S'%ia rese&bles a 8reek goddess. • ,' )other lac!s the fact. . There are sentences in the active having a %assive meaning& • This shirt irons $e%%. • 9our book rea$s $e%%. • This coat %ill %ear a %ifeti)e. • The door close$ and there $as si%ence in the roo). !. f 'ou $ant to sa' $ho did it or $hat caused the action& use b5 or %it). • The house %as bilt by )' grandfather. • t %as $estro5e$ by fire. • The roo) %as 4ille$ with s)oke. • The $ood can be ct with a knife ". (e use the infinitie after )oda% erbs and a nu)ber of other erbs. The passie passie infini infiniti tiee is to be $one 6 to )ave $one. • %ant to be le4t a%one • The )usic col$ be )ear$ far a$a' • ,' bic'c%e has disappeared. t &st )ave been sto%en. #. f it is possib%e to )ake t$o different passie sentences& it is )ore usua% for the passie sentence to begin $ith the person. • Ann wasn’t o##ered the the 3ob • The 3ob wasn’t o##ered to Ann. ST07 THE PATTERN is
%as %ill be
tol$ o44ere$ 'iven pro&ise$
$. So)e erbs can be used on%' in the fo%%o$ing t'pe of constructions! e3plaine$ annonce$ $escribe$ repeate$ $ictate$ pointe$ ot
%as %ill be
The ne$s %as annonce$ to eer'bod'. Eer'thing %ill be e3plaine$ to 'ou %ater.
%. Passie constructions $ith the erb to a$vise8 to allo%8 to a%ar$8 to $en58 to 4orbi$8 to 4or'ive8 to 'rant8 to o44er8 to or$er8 to pa58 to pro&ise8 to re4se8 to s)o%8 to teac)8 to env5 present so)e difficu%ties. n Eng%ish the sub3ect of such constructions corresponds to the -ussian indirect ob3ect. The center of passie construction in Eng%ish is not changed. Pa' attention to the fo%%o$ing difference.
He %as 'iven a ten da's0 %eae. Have 'ou been s)o%n the docu)entsG The' %ere tol$ to $ait.
1&. The erbs $hich take persona% ob3ect can for) passie construction of the fo%%o$ing pattern! * the %ist of such erbs is gien be%o$+. is
smb smth • •
%as %ill be
The fi%) $as )uch spoken about. The doctor $as sent for.
sent #or spo!en about la')e$ at
,ind the p%ace of the preposition in -ussian and Eng%ish Rssian
,-. *0 I>= >DK>L. *20 M=N= N=O=
En'lis) He is often %augh at
He $as )uch spoken about
The erbs taking prepositiona% ob3ects. t shou%d be re)e)bered that not a%% of the) retain this preposition in -ussian. '. to agree to/$ith to agree on/upon to arrie at an agree)ent to arrie at a co)pro)ise to arrie at a conc%usion to arrie at a decision to ca%% for& on to count on to dea% $ith to hear of to insist on/upon to interfere $ith to %augh at to %ook after to %ook at to put up $ith to refer to to re%' on/upon to send for to speak about/of& to to ta%k about to think of to $rite about to find fau%t $ith to )ake fun of to pa' attention to to take care of
The boat %as soon lost si')t o4. The chi%d s)ol$ be ta!en care o4 He re)ark %as ta!en notice o4.
11. The %assive is fre[uent%' used to describe scientific or )echanica% processes& or in for)a% ep%anations! • The passie is fre[uent%' se$ 12. The passie is often used in ne$s reports! • " nu)ber of po%itica% prisoners )ave been release$. • Ta%ks %ill be )el$ in \ondon net $eek. t is not essentia% to repeat the aui%iar' erb to be in a %ist of processes! The cars are $ashed& c%eaned checked& and then gien to the ports.
n ^en)ark& 5 peop%e $ere %eft hanging upside do$n $hen a ro%%er coaster car )ade an unschedu%ed stop. The passengers $ere stranded ]7 feet in the air for 57 )inutes before fire)en arried $ith %adders. "n officia% for the fairground& at "%borg in (estern ^en)ark& said the riders had been fir)%' %ocked in and not been in danger. The' $ere gien their )one' back2& the officia% said. E). 2. Un*e-line all t+e passi,es.
"cid rain is caused b' burning coa% and oi%. (hen either fue% is burned& it re%eases poisonous gases $hich are carried up into the at)osphere and so)eti)es transported %ong distances. #er :777 research pro3ects hae been carried out to %ook into acid rain& and a decision to tack%e the prob%e) has been taken in )ost of the $estern European countries. ,easures hae been taken in Scandinaia and in Centra% Europe to stop the po%%ution before it is du)ped on the eniron)ent! and a dip%o)atic ca)paign has been %aunched to countries that the prob%e) has to be considered as a )a3or eco%ogica% threat. Fie 'ears ago this issue $as not being treated serious%'&2 sa's one of the %eading eniron)enta% group& but no$ that da)age has been reported in %arge areas of forest and \ake%and our po%iticians are being forced to take action. This prob%e) )ust be so%ed [uick%'! if goern)ents do nothing& the' $i%% be faced in t$o or three 'ears ti)e $ith the accusation that the' hae a%%o$ed our forests to die.2 " )a3or internationa% initiatie to co)bat acid rain is epected in the near future.
2. SIMP,E FORMS
_ote that the ru%es for choice of tense are the sa)e in the passie as the' are in the actie sentences. E). 3. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e ,oie.
1. (e hear a sound of a io%in in the ha%%. 5. His father a%$a's praises hi) $hen he $orks hard.
:. ,' sister often takes Bob for his brother. . ,' )other $akens )e at ` o0c%ock eer' )orning. 6. (e use this roo) for specia% occasions. ]. n so)e districts far)ers use pigs to find truff%es. `. The' )ake these artificia% f%o$ers of si%k. . The' feed the sea%s at the oo t$ice a da'. . Beaers )ake these da)s. 17. The' se%% soft drinks here. 11. ,ost peop%e oppose such things. 15. Usua%%' students do a %ot of $ork in spring. 1:. The' don0t ad)it chi%dren under siteen. 1. _o$ the' start these engines b' e%ectricit'. 16. The' neer discuss it in her presence. E).. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e ,oie.
She found the ene%ope at %ast behind the dining4roo) c%ock. bought this book a $eak ago a $eek ago. " great artist painted this picture. John broke the $indo$ the other da' The )ob broke a%% the shop $indo$s in recent riots. The' rang the church be%%s as a f%ood $arning. t is high ti)e so)eone to%d hi) to stop behaing %ike a chi%d. The 3udge gae hi) t$o $eeks in $hich to pa' the fine. "n uneas' si%ence succeeded the shot. The' sho$ed her the easiest $a' to do it. \ightning struck the o%d oak. " 3e%%'4fish stung her. ^id the idea interest 'ouG The' used to start these engines b' hand. (ho $rote itG
E). !. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e ,oie.
1. sha%% post this %etter to)orro$. 5. The' $i%% discuss 'our report net $eek. :. The secretar' $i%% change our ti)e4tab%e in a $eek. . To) $i%% )eet us at station. 6. So)eone $i%% sere refresh)ents.
]. The %a$'er $i%% gie hi) the detai%s of his unc%e0s $i%%. `. The c%osure of the $orkshops $i%% )ake a %ot of peop%e redundant. . (e $i%% not ad)it chi%dren under siteen. . She $i%% $ear an eening dress. 17. The organisers $i%% ehibit the paintings ti%% the end of the )onth. 11. The' $i%% sa' nothing )ore about the )atter. 15. The po%ice $i%% interie$ hi) to)orro$. 1:. (e sha%% discuss this prob%e) %ater. 1. (hat )easures sha%% $e takeG 16. sha%% send hi) this report to)orro$. E) ". Mi)e* Tenses. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e. 1
a+ The' to%d )e an interesting stor' 'esterda'. b+ The' offered hi) a cup of tea. c+ The' pro)ised us a interesting book. d+ The' pa' hi) regu%ar%'. e+ The' $i%% sho$ us so)e ne$ )againes. f+ The' teach the chi%dren French and 8er)an. g+ The' gae hi) an initation card to the part'. h+ The' granted hi) the fi%) a %ong ter) credit.
Fire a%)ost co)p%ete%' destro'ed the -o'a% Hote% %ast night. B' the ti)e so)eone ca%%ed the Fire Brigade& the hote% $as a%read' b%aing. ")bu%ance took fifteen peop%e to hospita% suffering fro) seere burns. The' sa' that seen of the) are in a serious condition. Peop%e think that a discarded cigarette started the fire. 3E&g& The 5oyal !otel was almost com%letely destroyed by #ire last night y the time the 7ire rigade was/were called$ &&& 3
\ast )onth the Counci% put for$ard a p%an to )ake the seafront traffic free. ,an' of the shop and restaurant o$ners support the p%an as the' be%iee that a )ore p%easant eniron)ent $i%% i)proe their trade. Ho$eer& the hote% o$ners are %ess enthusiastic and sa'
that the traffic restriction $i%% )ake access to their car parks er' difficu%t. There hae a%so been protects fro) %oca% residents $ho co)p%ain that the c%osure of the seafront road $i%% )ake their 3ourne's around the to$n )uch %onger. E). #. Open t+e b-akets.
1. ,' car *da)age+ %ast night. 5. This co)puter *)ake+ in the US". :. The )achine *)ake+ in Scot%and. . The President *ki%%+ %ast night. 6. The )one' *change into do%%ars+ at the bank. ]. The parce% *post+ 'esterda'. `. Cheese *)ake+ fro) )i%k. . The chi%dren *gie+ so)e food. . The house *paint+ eer' ear. 17. Seera% peop%e *hurt+ in an accident %ast night. 11. He *sho$+ the $a' to the station. 15. She *te%%+ the ne$s $hen she returned ho)e. 1:. The' *offer+ the goods at a %o$ price. 1. Chi%dren *teach+ foreign %anguages at schoo%. 16. The' *pa'+ t$ice a )onth. 1]. He *offer+ so)e interesting $ork.. 1`. He *pro)ise+ i))ediate he%p. 1. The bu'ers *grant+ a credit of si )onths. 1. The' *gie+ detai%ed directions to)orro$. 57. The fi%) *sho$+ to us at ] o0c%ock. 51. The chi%d hopes he *gie+ a co)puter b' Santa C%aus& but his parents )ade up their )inds that the bo' *present+ $ith a ne$ scooter. 55. The boss assured the stuff the' *te%%+ about the co)ing changes. To' *te%%+ of )' future p%ans2& he said. 5:. ^on0t $orr' The burg%ars *catch+ b' the po%ice. H)& but the' are sure the' *not catch+. 5. 8et 'our passport read'& the' *ea)ine+ b' the officer. ^o to' re)e)ber $e $ere $arned that our papers *ea)ine+ hereG 56. The ho%e nation hoped he *e%ect+ Pri)e4,inister. 5]. ,ind& 'ou *punish+ if 'ou disobe' )' orders. 5`. $onder $hen )' pro3ect paper *pub%ish+. 5. The chi%d *bring up+ in a respectab%e fa)i%'. 5. The' )ade sure that the chi%d *bring up+ b' the decent peop%e.
:7. :1. :5. ::. :. :6.
^on0t %eae 'our outside. t *stea%+. (hen he turns up he *te%%+ the truth. The ne$ spaceship *%aunch+ in F%orida in so)e da's. The de%egation *)eet+ at the airport. _o one epected that the f%ight *de%a'+. (e fe%t happ' that the car *repair+ the net da'.
:. PRO1RESSIVE FORMS E). $. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e ,oie.
1. The' are pu%%ing do$n the o%d theatre. 5. Peop%e are spending far )ore )one' on food no$. :. The %ibrarian sa's that the' are starting a ne$ s'ste) because peop%e $ere not returning books. . The' are bui%ding a ne$ road here. 6. ,ike is doing a %ot of $ork. ]. The' $i%% be %engthening the run$a's at a%% the )ain airports. `. t is no$ ] a.). and at )ost of the hospita%s in the countr' the' are a$akening patients $ith cup of tea. . The' $ere to$ing the da)aged ship Titanic into harbour $hen the to$4%ine broke. . She is sti%% t'ping the %etters. 17. The' $ere taking )ore effectie )easures at the ti)e. 11. The' $i%% be bui%ding a ne$ )oie theatre in this s[uare net 'ear. 15. The' are ea)ining the students in roo) 57]. 1:. The goern)ent is spending %itt%e )one' on roads. 1. The' $ere thro$ing stones into the sea. 16. 9our can0t go in. The' are interie$ing her for the T. 1]. #ur scientists are ea)ining a ne$ spaceship. 1`. #ur friends are )aking preparation to )eet the). 1. The' are preparing the )ea% no$. 1. To) and Harr' $ere carr'ing our suitcases. 57. The' $i%% be discussing a er' i)portant [uestion at the )eeting to)orro$. E). %. Put t+e ,e-bs in b-akets into t+e P-esent Siple o- P-esent P-o4-essi,e Passi,e.
1. 5. :.
Such )istakes *)ake+ b' een the best students. The houses *bui%d+ of stone& brick and $ood. " ne$ )useu) no$ *open+.
. " specia% ru%e *)ake+ for students to be taken to the Uniersit'. 6. The goods *ea)ine+ at the )o)ent. ]. Papers *de%ier+ usua%%' at in the )orning& the' *%ook through+ at the )o)ent and 'ou0%% get 'ours soon. `. ^ress *)ake+ preferab%' of cotton in hot countries. This $onderfu% costu)e *)ake+ specia%%' for this perfor)ance no$. . 4 (hat strange sounds 4 #h& our piano *tune+. . 4 (here is 'our carG 17. 4 t *fi%%+ usua%%' on the garage at the )o)ent. 11. Tea *%a'+ usua%%' on the ba%con' in fine $eather. 15. (e are finishing the %ast preparations for the part'! the %ights *s$itch on+& the tab%es *%a'+. ^o to' think $e0%% be read' on ti)eG 1:. 0e got t$o [uestions to 'ou. First! (hat %anguage *speak+ a%% oer the $or%dG Second! (hat %anguage *speak+ in this roo)G 1. The $itness *[uestion+ b' the po%ice4inspector no$. 16. The o%d )otor$a' *use+ b' )an' peop%e& but it0s not er' conent& that0s $h' a ne$ ring4road *bui%d+ in the cit'. 1]. #ur %uggage *ea)ine+ at the Custo) no$. "n' %uggage going abroad *check+ usua%%' here. 1`. (e *gie+ a %ot of adice b' our parents. 1. "%% the contacts *sign+ b' the President. 1. 9ou0%% hae 'our cop' soon& the contract *t'pe+. 57. \ots of peop%e *operate on+ in this c%inic. "nd no$ unfortunate%' )' unc%e John *operate+ on here. E). 1&. Put t+e ,e-bs in b-akets into Past Siple o- Past P-o4-essi,e Passi,e 5o-.
1. The student *ask+ to te%% the stor' again. 5. (hi%e the professor *speak+ no sound $as uttered. :. " )odern tune *p%a'+ $hen $e ca)e into the ha%%. . Eer' )orning the bo's *te%%+ $hat the' had to do. 6. sat do$n for a rest $hi%e the repairs *do+. ]. "t %ast the prob%e) *so%e+ to eer'one0s satisfaction. `. The %ife of )an *change+ b' the ndustria% -eo%ution in the th 1 centur'. . " $eek ago the students of our group *choose+ for 3ur' serice. . The ga)e *p%a'+ $ith est b' both tea)s. 17. \ast Frida' he *)eet+ at the rai%$a' station. 11. ,an' to$ns *destro'+ b' the earth[uake in Japan %ast 'ear.
15. The he%icopter *construct+ in -ussia. 1:. He *thro$+ out of c%ass cheating. 1. The pop singers arried at the airport and *$e%co)e+ b' thousands of fans. F%o$ers *thro$+ at the) a%% the $a' to the eit. 16. The eposition *open+ $hen $e droe up to the picture ga%%er'. 1]. He cou%dn0t go out as his suit and shirt *c%ean+. 1`. The petro% tank *fi%%+ %ast $eek. 1. The po%ice)an noticed that the suitcase *carr'+ b' the porter in a )ost strange $a'. 1. The naught' bo' *teach+ a er' good %esson b' his friends. 57. (hen ca)e to the skating4rink he *teach+ to skate b' his e%der brother. 51. His cousin *fine+ for eceeding speed %i)it 'esterda'. 55. droe up to the shop 3ust as it *c%ose+& but the o$ner $as kind enough to %et )e in. 5:. The' *a$ard+ the highest prie. 5. She $atched te%eision $hi%e the dinner *prepare+. 56. (hen ca)e into the kitchen s)e%t so)ething de%icious. ,' faourite cookies *bake+ in the oen.
;. PERFECT FORMS
E). 11. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e 6oie. 9#
1. The secretar' has recent%' brought this %etter. 5. Jack has 3ust spi%%ed the )i%k. :. ,' %itt%e brother has broken this cup. . She has dusted the roo) carefu%%'. 6. He fe%t better $hen he had reached the post office& bought a registered ene%ope and posted the %etter. ]. B' the ti)e the director ca)e she had t'ped the %etters. `. The' $ent ho)e after the' had finished the $ork. . He $ondered $h' $e had not isited hi) before. . car has been %ent to )e for the $eek. 17. The' $i%% hae passed the ea)s b' the end of June. 11. So)ebod' had c%eaned )' shoes and brushed )' suit. 15. Preious c%i)bers had cut steps in the ice. 1:. (e sha%% hae finished this report b' ] o0c%ock. 1. So)ebod' had s%ashed the picture $ith a knife.
16. The burg%ars had cut an enor)ous ho%e in the stee% door. 1]. So)eone has a%read' to%d her to report for dut' at si. 1`. Co)pare c%othes $hich $e hae $ashed $ith c%othes $hich an' other %aundr' has $ashed. 1. The author $i%% hae $ritten a specia% edition for chi%dren b' the end of the 'ear. 1. Hae the' bought the booksG 57. _obod' hae noticed the gir%. 51. Hae 'ou gien the chi%dren their )i%kG 55. (hat hae 'ou done about itG 5:. The' hae bui%t the house in record ti)e. 5. B' the ti)e he ca)e $e had done it a%%. 56. The' hae proed the scientific theor' to be fa%se. 2#
1. So)eone to%d us a er' funn' stor' 'esterda'. 5. The peop%e gae hi) a heart' $e%co)e. :. The' hae offered )' brother a er' good 3ob. . The house agents sho$ed us er' nice f%ats. 6. The secretar' didn0t te%% )e the eact ti)e of )' appoint)ent. ]. The' hae neer taught that that rood bo' good )anners. `. The teacher hasn0t asked Peter an' [uestions at this %esson. . Peop%e $ished the ne$%' )arried coup%e a %ong and happ' %ife. . The' neer te%% )e the fa)i%' ne$s. 17. The ea)iners didn0t gie us enough ti)e to ans$er a%% the [uestions. 11. " guide $i%% sho$ the tourists )ost of the sights of \ondon. 15. The' $aste a %ot of ti)e discussing uni)portant things. 1:. The' t'pe the %etters in the other office. The' $i%% t'pe 'ours in a )inute. 1. The' are repairing )' piano at the )o)ent. 16. The guests ate a%% the sand$iches& and drank a%% the %e)onade. The' %est nothing. 1]. Has so)eone posted )' parce%. 1`. (h' did no one infor)ed )e of the change of the p%anG 1. 0) afraid $e hae so%d a%% our copies but $e hae ordered )ore. 1. The' haen0t sta)ped the %etter. 57. She didn0t introduce )e to her )other. 51. "n earth[uake destro'ed the to$n. 55. He didn0t te%% )e the $ho%e truth.
E). 12 Put t+e ,e-bs in b-akets into t+e Past Siple Passi,e o- P-esent Pe-5et Passi,e.
1. The decorations *co)p%ete+ an hour ago. 5. The preparations for the part' 3ust *finish+ and the guests are a%read' arriing. :. The bab' *feed+ an hour ago. . Christopher *feed+ 'etG 4 _ot 'et. 6. He *not see+ for a $eek a%read'. ]. The paper *not read'+ b' an'one 'et. `. The suit *not $ear+ for a %ong ti)e. . This fact *not )ention+ in his %ast speech. . 0) happ' as 3ust *a%%o$+ to sta' here for an etra da'. 17. She *teach+ )usic in her chi%dhood. 11. 9ou eer *teach+ ho$ to p%a' chessG 15. 3ust *adise+ to keep to a diet. 1:. The sports)en *gie+ instructions before the )atch. 1. The )otorist *dis[ua%if'+ so)e fie )onths ago. 16. can0t be%iee )' e'es ,' book *pub%ish+ a%read' E). 13. Coplete t+e te)t wit+ e)p-essions 4i,en below.
had been gien had been to%d had neer been taught $as gien 3twice $as offered $as pro)ised $as sho$n $asn0t being paid $as sent 0%% neer forget )' first da' at that office. *1+ to arrie at .:7& but $hen got there the $ho%e p%ace see)ed to be e)pt'. didn0t kno$ $hat to do& because *5+ no infor)ation about the bui%ding or $here $as going to $ork& so 3ust $aited around unti% so)e of the secretaries began to turn up. Fina%%' *:+ a dirt' %itt%e office on the fifth f%oor& $here *+ a desk in a corner. _othing happened for an hourj then *6+ so)e %etters to t'pe on a co)puter b' one of the senior secretaries. This $asn0t er' successfu%& because *]+ ho$ to use a co)puter. *in the %etter *`+ $hen *+ the 3ob& *+ co)puter training& but the'0d obious%' forgotten about this.+ B' %unchti)e things hadn0t got an' better& and decided that *17+ enough to put up $ith the nonsense& so $a%ked out and didn0t go back.
SECTION III. 9. THE PASSIVE MI
E). 1. Open t+e b-akets7 usin4 t+e o--et 5o- in t+e Passi,e.
1. ^on0t enter the roo) " student *to ea)ine+ there. 5. The eent *to report+ b' the ne$spapers before the' arried ho)e. :. "fter the accident he *to take+ ho)e i))ediate%'. . The %etter *to t'pe+ b' the t'pist $hen ca)e in. 6. a) sure that his $ork *to co)p%ete+ b' the end of the )onth. ]. So)e ne$ )againes 3ust *to bring+. (ou%d 'ou %ike to %ook the) throughG `. The eercises usua%%' *to correct+ b' the teacher at ho)e. . can0t sho$ 'ou )' $ritten $ork as it not *to return+ b' )' teacher. . ,an' ne$ houses *to bui%d+ in our to$n %ate%'. 17. (e think that the ship * to charter+ net $eek. 11. The goods not *to ea)ine+ 'et at the custo)4house. (hen the' *to ea)ine+G 15. The [uestion $hich *to discuss+ no$ at the conference is er' i)portant. 1:. This bridge *to bui%d+ in 16. 1. The contract *to t'pe+ before the director co)es to the office. 16. )portant scientific $ork *to carr' on+ b' that institute. 1]. "%% the students *to ea)ine+ b' fie o0c%ock. 1`. The docu)ents not *to sign+ 'et b' the )anager. The' to check no$. 1. She *to frighten+ b' a %oud noise in the street. 1. This book *pub%ish+ soon. 57. "nn *ask+ $hen entered the c%assroo). 51. 0) not $earing )' b%ack shoes toda'. The' *)end+. 55. This cop' *not read+. The pages *not cut+. 5:. (h' the car *not %ock+ or *put+ at the garageG 5. The da)aged ship *to$+ into harbour $hen the to$%ine broke. 56. This roo) *use+ on%' on specia% occasions. 5]. Bic'c%es )ust not *%eae+ in the ha%%. 5`. He $as taken to hospita% this afternoon& and *operate on+ to)orro$ )orning. 5. t $as a %one%' road& and the gir% $as afraidj she thought she *fo%%o$+.
5. The paintings *ehibit+ ti%% the end of the )onth. :7. The %itt%e gir% is the on%' chi%d& and she *spoi%+ b' her parents and grandparents. :1. _or)a%%' this street *s$eep+ eer' da'& but it *not s$eep+ 'esterda'. :5. t $as er' co%d 'esterda' afternoon& but $e cou%dn0t %ight a fire in the sitting roo)j the chi)ne' *s$eep+. ::. This purse *%eae+ in a c%assroo) 'esterda'& it *find+ b' the c%eaner. :. Thousands of ne$ houses *bui%d+ eer' 'ear. :6. (hen sa$ the car& it *drie+ at oer fift' )i%es an hour. :]. This roo) *not used+ for ages. :`. The chi%dren are er' eited this )orning. The' *take+ to the circus this afternoon.. :. ,' ke's *return+ to )ej the' *pick up+ in the street. E). 1!. Open t+e b-akets. Use t+e neessa-/ tenses in t+e Passi,e 6oie.
1. \ook There0s nothing here. Eer'thing *to take+ a$a'. 5. (e *to te%%+ to $ait because the )an *to [uestion+ 3ust. :. f an'one co)es in 'ou *to find+ %ooking through his papers. . (e can0t get there in ti)e. B' the ti)e $e get there the papers *to destro'+. 6. (h' nothing *to do+ about it at the ti)eG ]. 9ou can0t go in. She *to interie$+ for the T. `. She pro)ised that nothing *to do+ ti%% he ca)e back . had a )ost unp%easant fee%ing that *to $atch+. . She %ooked a different gir%. Her face *to $atch+& her hair *to co)b+. 17. (e cou%d sti%% see the tracks $here the car *to drag+ off the road. E). 1". Use t+e ,e-b in b-akets in t+e app-op-iate 5o-.
1. 9ou can0t use the refrigerator at the )o)ent& it *to fi+ b' the )echanic. 5. " ne$ )etro %ine *to construct+ no$. #ne of its station *to bui%d+ in our street. :. \ike )an' )ediea% cities& ,osco$ dee%oped round the $a%%s of a strongho%d. First a brick $a%% *to bui%d+ around the )erchants0 [uarter $hich *to kno$+ as itaigorod& then& in the 1] th centur'& a ne$ $a%% *to erect+ round the so4ca%%ed Be%' 8orod.
. ,aie *to use+ b' )an' peop%es of the $or%d to )ake their bread. 6. " second ta%k on ho$ to hand%e the ne$ )achine *to gie+ to)orro$ at the sa)e ti)e b' one of the inentors. ]. _o ob3ections to the p%an *to offer+ so far& but it *not to introduce+ unti% it *to put+ to ote. `. Eer'bod' $as bus' as a $e%co)ing part' *to operate+ in honour of the distinguished isitors. . So)e fina% touches *to put+ to the picturej it *to co)p%ete+ in a [uarter of an hour. . Eident%' the tea *to s$eeten+ before put sugar into it. E).1#. -ite passi,e sentenes.
1. Chinese *speak+ in Singapore. 5. The Ta3 ,aha% *bui%d+ around 1]7. :. The ne$ hospita% *open+ net 'ear. . She *interie$+ no$ 6. re%eased *fo%%o$+. ]. *9ou inite+ to "nd'0s part'. `. He found that a%% his )one' *stea%+. . These co)puters *)ake+ in orea. . Passengers *ask+ not to speak to the drier. 17. Sorr' about the noise 4 the road *)end+. 11. The i%%age church *burn do$n+ %ast 'ear. 15. " -o)an pae)ent *3ust find+ under #ford street. E). 1$. Put t+e ,e-bs in b-akets into a suitable tense in t+e passi,e.
The bui%ding at the top of the High Street is Barford Ha%%. t *bui%d+ in 15` and toda' it *regard+ as the finest 8eorgian bui%ding in the countr'. " nu)ber of changes *)ake+ since it $as bui%t& but the front of the bui%ding *not change+. Toda' the Ha%% *o$n+ b' Barda%e Counci%& and for the %ast ten 'ears it *use+ as a ho)e for Barford "rts Centre. "t the )o)ent a s)a%% art ga%%er' *bui%d+ behind the Ha%%.
E). 1%. Put t+e ,e-bs into a suitable tense in t+e passi,e. 8-aatise t+e *ialo4ue. Rew-ite t+e *ialo4ue in t+e Repo-te* Spee+.
,"-9! _E\! ,"-9! _E\! ,"-9! _E\! ,"-9!
_E\! ,"-9! _E\! ,"-9! _E\!
_E\! ,"-9! _E\!
Hi 0) back. Sorr' 0) %ate. He%%o. (hat kept 'ouG had to use the ring road and *stick+ in a traffic 3a) for fort' )inutes. (h' didn0t 'ou use the usua% routeG Because the road *c%ose+ unti% $ork on the access road to the ne$ hospita% *co)p%ete+. (hen is it due to *finish+G (e%%& the access road *open+ b' the ,a'or net $eek& according to the ne$spaper& and the Hea%th ,inister *inite+ to open the hospita% on the sa)e da'& but the' don0t kno$ 'et $hether she0s definite%' co)ing. " %ot of )one' *$aste+ if she doesn0t co)e. (h' is thatG Haen0t 'ou seen a%% those rose bushes that *p%ant+ round the hospita%G SoG The'0%% be %oe%' for the patients. But the patients $on0t bee ab%e to see the)& because the'0re round the entrance& and the $ards %ook out in the other direction. " %ot of peop%e protested about it& but a%% their co)p%ains *ignore+ unti% it $as too %ate. f the' had )one' to spare& it *spend+ on faci%ities for patients& not on )aking the front %ook prett' for the ,inister. "bso%ute%'. t0s t'pica% of this %oca% counci%. The' *e%ect+ to sae )one'& but the' do 3ust the opposite. Perhaps the' *thro$+ out at the net e%ection. hope so. _o$& are 'ou read' for supperG
E). 2&. Rew-ite t+ese sentenes in t+e Passi,e.
1. 8%inka co)posed the opera an Susanin. 5. This )ine $i%% produce %arge [uantities of coa% this 'ear. :. " rai%$a' %ine connects the i%%age $ith the to$n. . " fa)ous architect designed this theatre. 6. This p%ant had fu%fi%%ed the 'ear%' p%an b' the 16 th _oe)ber. ]. The student read the tet a%oud `. The teacher $i%% correct the student0s co)position.
. Soiet scientists are )aking $onderfu% discoeries. . (ho has $ritten this artic%eG 17. The $orkers are un%oading the stea)er. 11. The director has 3ust signed the %etter. 15. The custo)s officer is counting the cases. 1:. (hen he entered the roo)& the %ega% adiser $as checking the contract. 1. The bu'ers $i%% insure the cargo $ith 8osstrakh. 16. "s the bu'ers had not opened a %etter of credit& $e cou%d not ship the goods. 2. ACTIVE OR PASSIVE= MI
E). 21. Put t+e ,e-b in b-akets into t+e Past In*e5inite in t+e 'ti,e o- in t+e Passi,e 6oie.
1. " note *bring+ in& addressed to E%eanor& and *put+ on a tab%e to a$ait her. 5. (hen the door *c%ose+& o%d Jo%'on *drop+ his paper& and *stare+ %ong and anious%' in front of hi). :. To his kno$ing e'es the scene be%o$ easi%' *ep%ain+. . Then the door *shut+ behind hi)/ 6. Fina%%' his na)e *ca%%+& and the bo' *push+ for$ard to her. ]. Taking the %a)p& the' *go+ into the $oodshed $here the coa% *deposit+. `. Fina%%' he *persuade+ b' Bass to go a$a'. . But $hen autu)n *co)e+ the co$s *drie+ ho)e fro) the grass. . *%ead+ the $a' up and as *reach+ the top& the door *open+ b' ,r. S)ith. 17. "t %unch nothing *discuss+ but the %atest ne$s. 11. Bass& a er' )uch astonished bo'& *set+ free. 15. (i%% 'ou $ork on this 3ob a%% 'our %ifeG The [uestion *ask+ $ith sincere interest. 1:. Jerr' *kno$+ he *hide+ b' darkness and the )assie fo%iage. She *tap+ on the door. John *open+ it 1. For the fe$ first )inutes he *occup'+ $ith eatingj then as his appetite *[uiet+& he *take+ his ti)e. 16. The %iing4roo) *s$eep+& *)op+ and *dust+.
E) 22. Put t+e ,e-b in b-akets into t+e Past Siple7 t+e Past Continuous an* t+e Past Pe-5et in t+e 'ti,e o- in t+e Passi,e 6oie.
1. Each of the chi%dren *receie+ a due share of ,rs. 8erhardt0s attention. The %itt%e bab' c%ose%' *%ook+ after her. 5. Fro) the c%ink of dishes one cou%d te%% that supper *prepare+. :. He *take+ the) out to the house& and 8eorge *sho$+ the $a' to the office. . The front door of his house *un%ock+ as he *%eae+ it. 6. ,rs. Bro$n *co)e+ to infor) her that dinner a%read' *sere+. ]. His phrase *greet+ b' a strange %augh fro) a student $ho *sit+ near the $a%%. `. Jennie *%eae+ a%one& but& the $ood4doe& she *be7 a oice of s$eetness in the su))er4ti)e. . "nne *not see+ Henr' unti% the part' *seat+. . n the )eanti)e the eening )ea% *announce+& and she *go+ and *3oin+ the fa)i%'. 17. \ester *not attend+ the $edding& though he *inite+. 11. (hi%e the supper *eat+ Sebastian *offer+ a suggestion to go there i))ediate%'. 15. "nne *shake+ b' the incredib%e change of his tone. 1:. She *$ant+ things not so )uch for herse%f as for her chi%d & and she *be+ anious to do $hateer she *te%%+. 1. The house *%ook+ after $ith scrupu%ous care b' others& for Jennie *be+ incapab%e of attending to it herse%f. 16. "s she *co)e+ to the carriage the door *open+ and *see+ a $o)an there. 1]. (hen the phone *ring+& *reach+ for the phone& and *te%%+ *ca%%+ fro) ,osco$. 1`. n the )ean$hi%e Jennie *%eae+ to brood. 1. "t the er' second the beautifu% )usic she *%isten+ to *%isten+ b' eer'one $ho *be+ there. 1. ,ark *open+ his e'es hard& *shake+ his head& and *%ook+ at the other bed. t *not s%eep+ in. E). 23. Put t+e ,e-b in b-akets into t+e -e9ui-e* tense in t+e 'ti,e o- in t+e Passi,e 6oie. 9.# 1. (e constant%' *disturb+ b' unnecessar' te%ephone ca%%s 'esterda'. 5. *take+ aback b' $hat 'ou *te%%+ )e 3ust no$.
:. Te%% Te%% )e the truth& truth& 'ou *shock+ b' $hat *sa'+G . The office office *fi%%+ $ith the actiit' of of the radio sho$. 6. The ga)e *p%a'+ $e%% b' both tea)s %ast Sunda'. Sunda'. ]. C%ee%and %ike eer' other gro$ing cit' at this ti)e ti)e *cro$d+ $ith those $ho *seek+ *se ek+ e)p%o')ent. `. "t Bass0s suggest suggestion ion Jennie Jennie *$rite+ her )other )other to co)e at once& and a $eek are or %ater a suitab%e house *find+ and *rent+. . Eer' )orning )orning the bo's *te%%7 $hat to do. . The stor'te%%er stor'te%%er *ask+ *ask+ to te%% the ta%e again. again. 2#
1. (hen $e *co)e+ *co)e+ in a )ea% *prepare+ *prepare+ for us. us. 5. (hat tune tune *p%a'+ $hen $hen $e *co)e+ *co)e+ inG :. *sit+ do$n do$n for a rest $hi%e the shoes *repair+. . The )an *operate+ on $hen the the %ights %ights *go+ out. 6. t take take a )o)ent ent bef before ore _ick _ick *rea *rea%%ise+ ise+ that that he *of *offer+ er+ a ne$spaper. ]. cou%dn cou%dn0t 0t take an' photog photograp raphs hs because )' ca)era ca)era *repair *repair++ at that ti)e. :#
1. suppose 'ou *te%%+ *te%%+ this this before. before. 5. Co)e in and hae 'our )i%k. t *keep+ hot for 'ou %ong. 9ou *be+ %ate. (here 'ou *be+G :. t *occ *occur ur++ to )e that that for for the the %ast %ast t$en t$ent' t'44t$o t$o ho hour urss )' %ife %ife *goern+ b' 'ours 4 b' 'our needs. . 9o 9ou *%ie+ in the sa)e houseG he fina%%' fina%%' *in[uire*. *in[uire*. _#& $e *)oe+ out. (e *gie+ a ne$ f%at. 6. (e a%$a's *init *inite+ e+ there. ;#
1. (hen (hen she *go+& he *sett%e+ *sett%e+ do$n do$n $ith the c%ock c%ock 4 a ^utch ^utch piece too too hea ea' to take take a$a' a$a'jj it *pick pick++ up b' Ja) Ja)es& es& *ch *chi)e+ eer'thing& and a %ot of stars on its face. face . 5. (hen (hen the %ast %ast go good od4b 4b'e 'e *sa'+ *sa'+ and and %ast %ast soun sound d of $hee%s $hee%s and and hooes *die+ a$a'& she *go+ into her roo). :. He *sa'+ he *detain+ *detain+ on on business. business.
E). 2. Rea* t+is lette- 5-o Mau-ie7 w+o is on +oli*a/ in (-itain7 to +is siste- Sall/ in New :ealan*. Put t+e ,e-bs in a suitable tense7 ati,e o- passi,e.
^ear Sa%%'& Ho$ are 'ouG (e0e been haing a %oe%' ti)e. (e0re er' $e%% %ooked after b' our hosts. (e *take+ sightseeing and $e *introduce+ to so)e of their friends& $ho *)ake+ us fee% er' $e%co)e. \ast night $e *sho$+ round a cast%e& b' the o$ner ,ost of the %and in this area *be%ong+ to his fa)i%' for about fie hundred 'ears. "pparent%'& the %and *gie+ to the) after one of the his ancestors *ki%%+ $hi%e tr'ing to sae the king0s %ife. luite ro)antic& isn0t itG The cast%e itse%f $as a %itt%e bit disappointing& to be abso%ute%' honest. The o$ner to%d us that it *suffer+ serious da)age during a fire about thirt' 'ears ago. (hen it *restore+ the' *add+ centra% heating and things %ike that. So once 'ou0re inside it *not fee%+ )uch different to an' other %arge& o%d house. But the o$ner is a rea% character. He to%d us %ots of stories about things that *happen+ to hi) $hen he $as abroad to $ork in a bank& but he hated it& so he *behae+ er' bad%' in order to *sack+. He kept us %aughing for hours. hope he *inite+ here before $e %eae. 0%% hae %ots )ore to te%% 'ou $hen $e get back. ba ck. Take care. 9ours 9ours affectionate%'& affectionat e%'& ,aurice. E). 2!. Use t+e notes to w-ite sentenes about 'e-ian +isto-/. +isto-/. Put t+e ipo-tant un*e-line* in5o-ation in5o-ation at t+e en* o5 t+e sentene.
E.g.! Britain 4 ru%e the ")erican co%onies The American colonies were ruled by ritain& 1. (ashington ashington 4 beco)e 4 President (ashington 5. bu' 4 \ouisiana \ouisiana 4 fro) France. \ouisiana :. discoer discoer 4 go%d 4 Ca%iforni Ca%iforniaa . the _orth 4 $in 4 the Cii% (ar 6. b%ack peop%e peop%e 4 $ant 4 e[ua% e[ua% rights rights ]. shoot 4enned' 4enned' 41]: 41]:
SECTION IV. IV. 9. THE PASSIVE AFTER MOA, MO A, VER-S "see note > p. :#
E). 2". Put 2". Put t+e sentenes sentenes into t+e passi,e passi,e ,oie.
1. )ust )ust do it at once. 5. 9ou 9ou can use the )ateria% ffor or 'our $ork. :. can0t send off off the %etter toda'. toda'. . (e cou%dn0t finish the $ork in ti)e. 6. 9ou 9ou )a' %eae the dictionaries on the tab%e. ]. (e hae to do this this $ork eer' da'. `. The' had had to put the the goods on the deck. . The se%%ers are to charter a ship for the transportation transportation of the goods. . 9ou 9ou shou%d change change the end of 'our stor'. stor'. 17. The co))i co))itte tteee )us )ustt disc discuss uss the [uesti [uestion on i))e i))edia diate% te%' '. 11. Th Thee acc accou ount ntan antt )as )astt che check ck the the in inoi oice ce.. 15. The )anuf )anufactu actures res can de%i de%ier er the )achi )achine ne at the the end of the )o )ont nth. h. 1:. The agent agent )us )ustt info infor) r) the bu bu'er 'erss of the arria arria%% of of the the stea) stea)er er.. 1.. 9ou )us 1 )ustn tn0t 0t use use this this )ach )achin inee aft after er 6!: 6!:7 7 p.). p.). 16.. 9ou sho 16 shou% u%d d keep keep the the f%o f%o$e $ers rs in in a $or $or) ) sun sunn' n' p%ace p%ace.. 1].. He )us 1] )ustt c%ea c%ean n thi thiss )ac )achi hine ne eer eer' ' ti) ti)ee he he uses uses it. it. 1`. 9ou shou shou%d %d pa' 'o 'our ur bi%% bi%% before before 'ou %eae %eae the the hote hote%. %. 1. 9ou )ust )ustn0 n0tt touch touch this this butto button n $hi% $hi%ee the epe eperi ri)e )ent nt in in prog progress ress.. 1.. Th 1 Thee chi% chi%dr dren en shou shou%d %dn0 n0tt ha haee open opened ed tha thatt parce parce%. %. 57.. "%% 57 "%% isi isito tors rs )u )ust st $ear $ear ide ident ntit it' ' badges badges.. E). 2#. Coplete t+e sentenes wit+ t+e 4i,en wo-*s usin4 t+e in t+e passi,e.
1. Ja)es *shou%d m te%%+ the the ne$s as soon as possib%e. 5. Ja)es *shou%d m te%%+ the ne$s ne$s a %ong ti)e ago. :. ,eat *)ust m keep+ in a refrigerator or it $i%% spoi%. . (e tried& but the $indo$ *cou%dn0t m open+. t $as painted shut. 6. 8ood ne$s *)a' *)a' m offer+ offer+ a 3ob soon. had an interie$ interie$ at an engineering fir) 'esterda'. ]. The c%ass for net se)ester se)ester is too %arge. %arge. t *ought *ought to m diide+ in ha%f& but there is not enough )one' in the budget to hire another teacher. `. \ast se)ester0s c%ass $as too %arge. t *ought *ought to mdiide+ in ha%f. ha%f.
. These books *hae to m return+ to the %ibrar' b' to)orro$. . "! "nd'& 'our chores *had better m finish+ b' the ti)e get ho)e& inc%uding taking out the garbage. B! ^on0t $orr'& ,o). 0%% do eer'thing 'ou to%d )e to do. 17. "nn0s birthda' $as on the 6 th& and no$ it is a%read' the th. Her birthda' card *shou%d m send+ a $eek ago. ,a' be $e0d better gie her a ca%% to $ish her a be%ated happ' birthda'. E). 2$. Use t+e ,e-b in pa-ent+eses wit+ an/ app-op-iate o*al o- siila- e)p-essions. 'll o5 t+e sentenes a-e passi,e. In an/ sentenes7 o-e t+an one o*al is possible. Use t+e o*al t+at soun*s best to /ou.
1. The entire a%%e' *see+ fro) their )ountain ho)e. 5. He is $earing a go%d band on his fourth finger. He *)arr'+. :. "ccording to our teacher& a%% of our co)positions *$rite+ in ink. He $on0t accept papers $ritten in penci%. . found this book on )' desk $hen ca)e to c%ass. t *%eae+ b' one of the students in the ear%ier c%ass. 6. Fie of the co))ittee )e)bers $i%% be unab%e to attend the net )eeting. n )' opinion& the )eeting *postpone+. ]. " chi%d *gie& not+ eer'thing he or she $ants. `. 9our daughter has a good oice. Her interest in singing *encourage+. . Tr' to speak s%o$%' $hen 'ou gie 'our speech. f 'ou don0t& so)e of 'our $ords *)isunderstand+. . So)e UF# sightings *ep%ain& not+ easi%'. _o one is ab%e to ep%ain the) easi%'.
n these eercises )ost of the sentences contain a erb m preposition/aderb co)binations. The preposition of aderb )ust be retained $hen the co)bination is put into the passie. n )ost of the sentences it is not necessar' to )ention the agent. E). 2%. ;i,e t+e o--espon*in4 passi,e onst-ution.
1. (e %ooked through a%% adertise)ents er' attentie%' 5. The gardener gathered a%% the dr' %eaes and set fire to the). :. Peop%e $i%% ta%k )uch about the successfu% debut of the 'oung actress& no doubt.
. 9ou can re%' upon 'our guide0s eperience. 6. (h' didn0t the speaker d$e%% %onger upon this [uestionG ]. 9ou shou%d send the sick )an to hospita%. The' $i%% %ook after hi) )uch better there. `. He $as er' g%ad that nobod' took notice of his %ate arria%. . He $as a bri%%iant speaker& and& $heneer he spoke& the audience %istened to hi) $ith great attention. . (h' did the' %augh at hi)G 17. _obod' eer referred to that incident 11. U sent )' daughter for the doctor. 15. (e %istened to the teacher er' attentie%'. 1:. (e spoke )uch about his speech. 1. His friend a%$a's found fau%t $ith hi). 16. (e often refer to his artic%e. 1]. The' agreed upon the p%an. 1`. Peop%e often ask for this book. 1. ,' friend a%$a's takes care of )' %itt%e sister. 1. The' took no notice of his $ords. 57. The' $i%% %isten to his %ectures $ith great interest. 51. His friends a%$a's %augh at hi). 55. (e hae %ied in this house. 5:. " distinguished surgeon $i%% operate on )' sister. E). 3&. ;i,e t+e o--espon*in4 passi,e onst-ution.
1. Eer'bod' ob3ected to his proposa%. 5. (e sent for co)rade ^. as soon as the te%egra) arried. :. think that $e can re%' on this infor)ation. . The' insisted on these ter)s. 6. The' often refer to his book. ]. Eer'bod' %ooked at the) $hen the' entered the ha%%. `. ^o 'ou think that $e can re%' on these figuresG . 0) afraid that the' $i%% not arrie at an agree)ent. . 0) sure that the ne$spapers $i%% co))ent on this eent. 17. 0) sure that nobod' $i%% ob3ect to this p%an. 11. (i%% the' %isten to hi) $ith interestG 15. ^id the' speak )uch of this eentG 1:. The' )ust %ook in to this )atter. 1. 9ou )ust send for the) as soon as possib%e. 16. The contract proided for the de%ier' of caiar at regu%ar intera%s. 1]. The' )ust dispose of the goods in the near future.
1`. 1. 1. 57. 51. 55. 5:. 5. 56.
9ou can depend on her. ,an' facts accounted for the rise in the price of tin. The' )a' ob3ect to 'our p%an. The' )ust co))ent on this eent. _obod' %aughed at hi) $hen he said it. 9ou shou%d refer to this [uotation )ore often. 9ou )ust %isten to 'our teacher er' attentie%'. 9ou )ust not interfere $ith the). 9ou shou%d not insist on it.
E). 31. Put t+e sentene wit+ a ,e-b < p-eposition=a*,e-b obination into t+e passi,e.
1. The goern)ent has ca%%ed out troops. 5. Fog he%d up the trains. :. 9ou are to %eae this here. So)eone $i%% ca%% for it %ater on. . (e ca%%ed in the po%ice. 6. The' didn0t %ook after the chi%dren proper%'. ]. Then the' ca%%ed up the )en of 5. `. Eer'one %ooked up to hi). . "%% the )inisters $i%% see hi) off at the airport. . He hasn0t s%ept in his bed. 17. (e can bui%d on )ore roo)s. 11. The' thre$ hi) out. 15. The' $i%% hae to adopt a different attitude. 1:. He0s a dangerous )aniac. The' ought to %ock hi) up. 1. Her stor' didn0t take the) in. 16. Burg%ars broke into the house. 1]. The )anufactures are giing a$a' s)a%% to's $ith each packet of cerea%. 1`. The' took do$n the notice. 1. The' fro$n on s)oking here. 1. "fter the goern)ent had spent a )i%%ion pounds on the sche)e the' decided that it $as i)practicab%e and gae it up. 39ae only the #irst and last verbs %assive& 57. Peop%e )ust hand in their $eapons. 51. The cro$d shouted hi) do$n. 55. Peop%e often take hi) for his brother. 5:. _o one has taken out the cork.
5. The fir) co)pan' $ere to hae used the poo% for a[uatic disp%a's& but no$ the' hae changed their )inds about it and are fi%%ing it in. 39ae the #irst and last verbs %assive& 56. This co%%ege is a%read' fu%%. (e are turning a$a' the $ho%e ti)e. 5]. 9ou $i%% hae to pu%% do$n this sk'scraper as 'ou hae not co)p%ied $ith the to$n p%anning regu%ations. E). 32. T-anslate into Russian.
1. ,' $atch it fastG t cannot be re%ied upon. 5. Chi%dren are $e%% taken care of b' the Soiet 8oern)ent. :. (h' $as he %aughed atG . He is a%$a's %istened to $ith great interest. 6. She is er' $e%% spoken of. ]. (hen $as sent forG `. He pro)ised that the )atter $ou%d be %ooked into. . The ti)e of ship)ent has been agreed upon. . "s an agree)ent had not been arried at& the dispute $as b' arbitration. 17. The goods $ere disposed of b' auction. 11. The c%ause proposed b' the bu'ers $as ob3ected to b' the se%%ers. 15. The doctor& $ho $as i))ediate%' sent for& said that the sick )an )ust be taken to the hospita%. 1:. 9esterda' sa$ the fi%) $hich is )uch spoken about. 1. shou%d %ike to read the artic%e referred to b' the professor. 16. (e cannot change the ter)s of pa')ent $hich $ere agreed upon during the negotiations. 1]. The speaker& $ho $as %istened to $ith great interest& spoke about the use of ato)ic energ' for peacefu% purposes. 1`. The ter)s agreed upon $ere adantageous for both the parties. 1. $ant to hae so)e handbooks on this [uestion& $hich can be retired on. 1. This is a book often referred to. 57. The artic%e of the agree)ent ob3ected to during the negotiations )ust reconsidered.
E). 33. E)p-ess in t+e passi,e t+e seon* o5 ea+ o5 t+e 5ollowin4 pai-s o5 sentenes. 8o not ention t+e ati,e sub>ets. T+e 5i-st two sentenes a-e *one 5o- /ou. E:am%les 1. He se%do) keeps his pro)ise. _o one can re%' on hi). !e can’t be relied on& 5. He0s er' sensitie. He doesn0t %ike peop%e to %augh at hi). !e doesn’t lie to be laughed at&
1. The chi%d is er' i%%. So)eone )ust send for the doctor. 5. The o%d car is in ece%%ent condition. The o$ner has %ooked after it er' $e%%. :. He $as speaking for t$o hours. The peop%e %istened to hi) in co)p%ete si%ence. . She is going into hospita% to)orro$. The doctors and nurses $i%% take good care of her. 6. This %itt%e bo' is a%$a's dirt'. _o one %ooks after hi) proper%'. ]. She is a%$a's breaking things in the kitchen. So)eone )ust speak to her about her care%essness. `. He0s sensib%e )an. Peop%e %isten to his adise carefu%%'. . The dentist said her teeth $ere er' bad. _o one had taken care of the). . He neer broke a pro)ise in his %ife. Peop%e cou%d a%$a's re%' on hi). 17. Shakespeare $as born )ore than 77 'ears ago. Peop%e %ook upon hi) as the greatest of Eng%ish poets.
:. THE PASSIVE *ITH 1ET
(e so)eti)es use 4et in the passie rather than be! \ots of post)en get bitten b' dogs. Ho$ did the painting get da)agedG 0) a%$a's getting chosen for the unp%easant 3obs. (e use 4et )ain%' in infor)a% Eng%ish. (e use 4et to e)phasise action or change. (e often use it for so)ething happening b' accident& unepected%'& or in an unp%anned $a'. (e a%so use 4et in idio)atic epressions& e.g. get washed$ get dressed 3changed$ get engaged 3married/divorced$ get started&
E). 3. Look at t+ese newspape- +ea*lines an* tell /ou- 5-ien* w+at?s in t+e news. Use t+e passi,e wit+ 4et in t+e p-esent pe-5et @e.4. +as 4ot o- t+e p-esent ontinuous @e.4. a-e 4ettin4.
E.g.! Post office %oses i)portant docu)ent 9ou! An im%ortant document has got lost& 1. Hea' %orries da)aging )otor $a's 9ou! The )otor$a's 5. anda%s knock $a%% do$n 9ou! " $a%% :. Stor) b%o$s off roof 9ou! " roof . Co)panies pa'ing industria% $orkers higher $ages 9ou! ndustria% $orkers E). 3!. Coplete t+e sentenes. I5 possible7 use a tense o5 t+e ,e-b 4et. Ot+e-wise use t+e ,e-b be.
1. neer found that book $e $ere %ooking for. t %ost $hen $e )oed house 5. "fter the $a' he behaed %ast ti)e he $ent to their house it0s un%ike%' he asked there again. :. _atura%%' this ase is epensie. "fter a%%& it be%ieed to be oer three hundred 'ears o%d. . phoned to ep%ain $hat had happened but cut off before cou%d finish. 6. There isn0t an' cheese %eftj it eaten b' the chi%dren. ]. He $as a $e%%4kno$n epert on ani)a% diseases and his opinions great%' respected. `. The co)petition is stiff and be thri%%ed if her design chosen. . The book torn $hen the chi%dren started fighting oer $ho shou%d read it first. . P%ease don0t touch an'thing on )' desk. 9ou e)p%o'ed to ans$er the te%ephone& not to tid' the office. 17. She $as [uite friend%' at first& then she pro)oted and she doesn0t care about us an' )ore.
E.g.! think 0%% stop $orking. *tire+. ; thin ;’ll sto% woring& ; am getting tired& 1. There $as an accident& but nobod' *hurt+. 5. (e didn0t hae a )ap& so $e *%ose+. :. (e can0t %eae as soon as 'ou *dress+. . (hen 'ou *)arr'+. 6. Ho$ %ong did it take 'ou to *accusto)+ to %iing hereG ]. Sa) $as supposed to be ho)e an hour ago& but he sti%% isn0t here. *$orr'+. `. Just tr' to take it eas'. ^on0t *upset+. . *confuse+ because eer'bod' gae )e different adice. . (e can0t %eae as soon as *do+ $ith his $ork. 17. Chris *depress+ $hen she %ost her 3ob& so tried to cheer her up. 11. 9ou *inite+ to the part'G 15. *bore+& so didn0t sta' for the end of the )oie. 1:. 0%% be read' to %eae as soon as *pack+. 1. *pa'+ on 0%% gie 'ou the )one' o$e 'ou net Frida'. #ka'G 16. "fter Ed graduated he *hire+ b' an engineering fir). 1]. But %ater he *fire+ because he didn0t do his $ork. 1`. \ast night *finish& not+ $ith )' ho)e$ork unti% after )idnight. 1. *disgust+ and %eft because the things the' $ere sa'ing at the )eeting $ere ridicu%ous. 1. First& the' *engage+. Then& the' *)arr'+. \ater& the' *diorce+. Fina%%'& the' *re)arr'+. Toda' the' are er' happ'. E). 3#. C-eate sentenes wit+ 4et an* t+e 4i,en wo-*s.
Confused )arried done ecited scared
dressed finished %ost hurt cheated
bored e%ected $orried prepared $rink%ed
;. PASSIVE SENTENCES *ITH AN *ITHO0T -7
n a passie sentences $e )entioned the agent& the person or thing doing action& on%' if it is i)portant. (e do not )ention the agent $hen! 1.
the agent does not add an' ne$ infor)ation! The money was stolen& The men were arrested last night& (e do not need to sa' that the )one' $as sto%en b5 a t)ie4 or that the )en $ere arrested b5 t)e police.
the agent is not i)portant! The streets are cleaned every day&
it is difficu%t to sa' $ho the agent is! This ind o# jacet is considered very smart& A number o# attem%ts have been made to the =och >ess monster&
E)pt' sub3ect *5o8 t)e58 people etc.+ (e can use an e)pt' sub3ect0 such as 'ou& one& the'& peop%e or so)eone. (e can so)eti)es use the) instead of the passie& especia%%' in conersation. Co)pare! "CTE Aou=One should chec the details& T+e/’re increasing the rents& People use this #oot%ath every day& Soeone too my %urse&
P"SSE The details should be checed& The rents are being increased& This #oot%ath is used every day& 9y %urse was taen&
E). 3$. Rew-ite t+ese ,e-bs as passi,es7 keepin4 t+e in t+e sae tense7 an* -eo,in4 t)e58 %e8 so&eone 7 et.
1. (e c%ean the garages eer' da'. The garages are cleaned every day& 5. So)eone has gien hi) a %ot of )one'. :. The po%ice arrested t$o hundred peop%e. . (e check eer' car engine thorough%'.
6. (e eport this co)puter to seent' different countries. ]. The' hae cance%%ed the )eeting. `. (e opened the factor' at nine oc%ock. . The' send t$o )i%%ion books to ")erica eer' 'ear. . (e hae inited a%% the students in the schoo%. 17. (e hae to%d hi) not to be %ate again. 11. The' posted a%% the %etters 'esterda'. 15. The )achine $raps the bread auto)atica%%'. 1:. The' paid )e a %ot of )one' to do the 3ob. 1. Fortunate%'& the' didnt da)age the )achiner'. 16. (e send the ne$spapers to Scot%and b' train. E). 3%. Rew-ite t+ese sentenes in t+e passi,e. T+e sub>et o5 t+e ati,e sentene an usuall/ be oitte*B /ou s+oul* inlu*e in t+e passi,e sentenes onl/ i5 it is neessa-/
1. So)eones interie$ ^r Johnson at the )o)ent. ^r Johnson ?r @ohnsons being interviewed at the moment& 5. 9ou )ustnt use this )achine after 6!:7 p.). This )achine :. (e had $arned hi) the da' before not to go too near to the cana%. He . The' $ere painting the outside of the ship $hen the accident happened. The outside of the ship 6. 9ou )ust c%ean this )achine eer' ti)e 'ou use it. This )achine ]. 9ou shou%d keep the f%o$ers in a $ar) sunn' p%ace. The f%o$ers `. The're )ending 'our shoes at the )o)ent. 9our shoes . So)eone $i%% drie 'our car to Edinburg on Tuesda'. 9our car . 9ou shou%d pa' 'our bi%% before 'ou %eae the hote%. 9our bi%% 17. hae to%d the chi%dren about the part'. The chi%dren 11. "bout thirt' )i%%ion peop%e $atching this progra))e. This progra))e 15. (e epect students not to ta%k during the ea)ination. Students
1:. 9ou )ustnt touch this button $hi%e eperi)ent is in progress. This button 1. So)eone $i%% b%o$ a $hist%e if there is a e)ergenc'. " $hist%e 16. So)eone $as carr'ing the bo)b to a safe p%ace $hen it ep%oded. The bo)b 1]. So)eones )oed )' chair ,' chair 1`. The po%ice are [uestioning ,r and ,rs ^aidson. ,r and ,rs ^aidson 1. So)eone checks the $ater %ee% eer' $eek. The $ater %ee% 1. (e inited t$o hundred peop%e to the $edding. T$o hundred peop%e 57. (e don0t a%%o$ s)oking in this restaurant. S)oking E). &. Rew-ite t+e sentenes7 puttin4 t+e un*e-line* ,e-bs into t+e Passi,e. Make an/ ot+e- +an4es neessa-/.
The co)pan' is sorr' to announce that the situation has forced it to introduce a range of cost4cutting )easures as fro) the beginning of the ne$ 'ear. Unfortunate%'& $e can no %onger proide free tea and coffee. So)eone is going to insta%% ne$ coin4operated )achines in eer' depart)ent and 'ou can purchase a $ide range of drinks fro) these. (e $i%% a%so stop oerti)e pa')ents after the end of this )onth and $e $i%% epect a%% )e)bers of staff to co)p%ete their duties $ithin their contact hours. 9ou )ust no %onger )ake persona% ca%%s fro) office phones and $e re[uest 'ou to use the pa'phone in the base)ent for this purpose. E). 1. Rew-ite t+e sentenes7 puttin4 t+e un*e-line* ,e-bs into t+e Passi,e. Make an/ ot+e- +an4es neessa-/. Rep-o*ue t+e *ialo4ues in t+e Repo-te* Spee+.
Jane is ta%king to her friend 8reg about her ho%ida'. 8! So& ho$ $as the ho%ida'G J! #h& it $as fantastic. The' organised eer'thing so $e%%. "s soon as $e arried at the airport& our courier )et us and took us to hote%. So)eone had c%eaned a%% the roo)s beautifu%%' and put fresh f%o$ers on the tab%es.
8! #h& ho$ %oe%'. "nd $hat about the foodG J! t $as ece%%ent. The' fresh%' prepared it a%% in the hote% and the' een )ade the bread in the hote% kitchen. The' sered bread ro%%s hot eer' )orning $ith breakfast. 8! ,)& it does sound good. )ust sa'& d %ike so)eone to cook )' )ea%s for )e for a coup%e of $eeks. "nd $hat about the surrounding areaG (as that niceG J! #h& beautifu%. There $ere trips eer' da' and the' sho$ed us a%% the %oca% sights. There $as so )uch histor' to see& 9oud %oe it there& honest%'. E). 2. Rea* t+is in5o-ation about w+at +appene* to t+e atsons. So)eone broke into the (atsons0 house at the $eekend. The burg%ar took so)e 3e$e%%er'. But he didn0t do an' da)age. " 'oung po%ice$o)an interie$ed ,rs (atson. The po%ice found so)e fingertips& and the po%ice co)puter identified the burg%ar. The po%ice hae arrested a )an and are [uestioning hi).
Co)p%ete the passie sentences in this conersation. Use phrase $ith b5 on%' if it adds infor)ation. ,rs (atson!
1. The co)pan' has cut a%% sa%aries. "%% sa%aries have been cut& 5. The bank )anager kept )e $aiting for ha%f an hour. :. E)p%o'ers )ust pa' a%% trae% epenses for this training course. "%% trae% epenses for this training course . ^o 'ou suppose 'our brother cou%d hae $ritten such a %etterG ^o 'ou suppose such a %etter
6. The' use a co)puter to do that 3ob no$ada's. " co)puter ]. ^uring the recession& the fir) $as )aking peop%e redundant a%)ost eer' $eek. ^uring the recession peop%e `. _obod' infor)ed the po%ice that there had been a )istake. The po%ice . (here $i%% 'our co)pan' send 'ou net 'earG (here $i%% 'ou G . The ne$s about the fa)ine distressed Josephine. Josephine 17. 0e sti%% got the ca)era because no none has c%ai)ed it. 0e sti%% got the ca)era because it 11. Has an'one eer asked 'ou for 'our opinionG Hae 'ou G . PASSIVE STR0CT0RES OF THE VER-S *ITH T*O O-?ECTS.
So)e erbs can hae t$o ob3ects an indirect ob3ect *the person receiing so)ething+ and a direct ob3ect *the thing that so)eone gies+
ate gae 0%% send
_^-ECT #BJECT me my cousin
^-ECT #BJECT this cassette& a %resent&
(e can sa' the sa)e thing $ith a different pattern.
ate gae 0%% send
^-ECT #BJECT the cassette a %resent
PH-"SE (TH TO #- FOR to someone else& to my cousin&
a+ (e can use the to pattern or an indirect ob3ect $ith the erbs of giing! 'ive8 len$8 )an$8 pass8 t)ro%B sen$8 post8 brin'8 ta!eB pa58 sellB pro&iseB s)o%8 o44erB rea$8 %rite8 tell8 teac)B o%eB leave "in a %ill#.
n an actie sentence& a erb of giing can hae t$o different patterns after it. The' both hae the sa)e )eaning. The Bueen gave a e*al to t+e pilot. The Bueen gave t+e pilot a e*al.
erbs $ith t$o ob3ects hae t$o possib%e passie structures. Either a )eda% or the pi%ot can be the sub3ect of a passie sentence! ' e*al was given to the %ilot& T+e pilot was given a medal& The first of these t$o sentences is about a )eda%& and it te%%s us $ho receied it. The second is about the pi%ot& and it te%%s us $hat he receied. (e choose the structure $hich fits best $ith $hat co)es before and after. The structure $ith the person as sub3ect is probab%' )ore co))on. "CTE They gave t+e winne- a p-iDe& They gave a p-iDe to t+e winne- &
P"SSE T+e winne- was 4i,en a %riCe& ' p-iDe was 4i,en to the winner&
E). . C+an4e t+e st-utu-e
1. _othing $as sent to )e. ; was sent nothing& 5. Papers $ere brought to us to sign. :. " c%ock $as gien to Henr' $hen he retired. . Stories $ere read to the chi%dren. 6. ‡ 6&777 is o$ed to )e. ]. " ne$ 3ob has been offered to )e. `. " car has been %ent to )e for the $eek. . " fu%% ep%anation $as pro)ised to us. . " %ot of %ies $ere to%d to )e b' the secretar'. 17. Usefu% $ork ski%%s are taught to our staff. 11. Co)pan' shares are offered to )ost e)p%o'ees. 15. Peop%e $ith initiatie are gien opportunities. 1:. Si $eeks0 ho%ida' is a%%o$ed to a%% e)p%o'ees. 1. Peop%e )oing house are gien he%p. 16. (o)en $ho %eae to hae chi%dren are paid a su) of )one'. b+ (e can use the 4or pattern or an indirect ob3ect $ith these erbs b58 'et8 4etc)8 brin'B 4in$B leave8 saveB reserve8 or$er8 boo!B &a!e8 coo!8 bil$B pic!8 c)oose They #ound a s%are ticet #or me& #- They #ound me a s%are ticet&
(ith these erbs practica%%' on%' one passie construction is used& i. e. (hen the direct ob3ect beco)es the sub3ect of the Passie Construction! " spare ticket $as found for )e.
1. Ti) %ent Sarah his ca%cu%ator. 5. Brian sent a )essage to his $ife. :. so%d )' bike to )' brother. . The boss pro)ised the $orkers a pa' rise. 6. 0e saed 'ou a seat. ]. So)eone passed the sugar to ^ae. `. Peter to%d the 3oke to a%% his friends. . Sa) gae his f%at4)ate so)e he%p. . a) )aking our guests a cake. 17.Cou%d 'ou send )e a bi%%G 11. hae bought a present for 'ou. 15.,' brother read the %etter to )e. 1:.He is sho$ing 8rann' his picture. 1.To) fetched so)e books to ,onica. 16.(e o$e 57&777 to the bank. 1].He $i%% get so)e beer to )e. 1`. $rote )' teacher a %etter of apo%og'. 1.Sarah thre$ the ba%% to irst'. 1.The' sho$ed her the shortest $a' to the station. 57.,' )other taught )e Eng%ish. 51.To) has 3ust to%d )e a good stor'. 55.She $i%% %end )e this book on Tuesda'. 5:.,' friend gae )e a good piece of adice ho$ to do this 3ob. 5.She to%d us her na)e after $e had asked her t$ice. 56. sent her brother a te%egra). 5].Ji%% had paid the )one' to the cashier before the shop $as c%osed. c+ The erbs! e3plain8 $escribe8 $ictate8 repeat8 &ention8 sa58 s''est8 intro$ce8 $eclare8 $eliver8 present8 reco&&en$8 prove8 point ot do not hae the indirect ob3ect first. (ith these erbs on%' one Passie Construction is used. E). ". C+an4e t+e st-utu-e usin4 t+e Passi,e 6oie.
1. 5. :. .
Can 'ou ep%ain the p%an to usG 0e co)e to sa' goodb'e to 'ou. suggested a ne$ )ethod to her. ^escribe 'our $ife to )e.
6. ]. `. . .
The teacher is dictating ne$ $ords to the students. He $on0t repeat his orders to the). His brother has a%read' )entioned this interesting detai% to )e. The court dec%ared to us that the bank $as bankrupt. The host had introduced a%% his guests to his cousin before the )ea%s $ere brought. 17.(ho de%iers the )ai% to 'ouG 11.The epert $i%% proe this fact to 'ou at the net )eeting. 15.The %ecturer has pointed out this interesting detai% to the audience. 1:.She decided to deote her %ife to handicapped peop%e. 1. hae been ep%aining this ru%e to 'ou for t$o hours&2 he said irritab%'.
SECTION V. REVISION Part 9. E). #. Put t+e sentenes into t+e Passi,e 6oie w+e-e possible.
1. 8o%dfish %ie in fresh $ater. 5. The Eg'ptians bui%t p'ra)ids. :. (a%ked )i%es 'esterda'. . The' arried at ` %ast night. 6. The' infor)ed )e about it. ]. s%ept ti%% . `. t0s raining. . 9ou )ust obe' the ru%es. . He0s sneeing again. 17.9ou can bu' ideos %ike this an'$here. 11.So)eone has to $rite the histor' of this p%ace. 15.The hae so%d their car to pa' the debts. 1:.The' ho%d a )eeting in the i%%age ha%% once a $eek. 1.The' hae proed that there is no %ife in the ,oon. 16.The' o$e a %ot of )one' to ,osco$ _arodn' Bank. E). $. Rew-ite t+e sentenes7 puttin4 t+e un*e-line* ,e-bs into t+e Passi,e. Make an/ ot+e- +an4es w+e-e neessa-/.
1& The' shou%d hae gien us this infor)ation ages ago. This in#ormation should have been given to us ages ago& D& ^o 'ou $ant to so)eone to $ake 'ou up in the )orningG & don0t %ike so)eone te%%ing )e $hat to do. 4& The $indo$s are rea%%' dirt'! no4one0s c%eaned the) for $eeks. F& "fter the co)pan' )ade hi) redundant& he beca)e er' depressed. 6& $ou%d %ike the) to hae gien )e the chance to ep%ain )' point of ie$& but the' $eren0t interested. & 0) hoping the' $i%% choose )e for the co%%ege footba%% tea). 8& Peop%e be%iee that )an' )ore peop%e $i%% die of skin cancer oer the net ten 'ears. H& f it hadn0t rained so )uch& $e $ou%d hae finished the 3ob on ti)e. 1I& (e can0t take the car! the peop%e at the garage are repairing it.
E). %. Most o5 t+e sentenes ontain one istake. Co--et it o5 w-ite ri')tD .
1. ,' neighbour is er' proud of her ne$ grandson iriusha $ho born %ast $eek. 5. 0) er' fond of this o%d brooch because it $as be%onged to )' grand)other. :. ,' fa)i%' %ie in ,ontego Ba' but $as educated in ingston. . 0) afraid can0t %end 'ou )' ca)era. t0s repairing this $eek. 6. The bridge $as co%%apsed during the f%oods but fortunate%' no one $as using it at the ti)e. ]. f 'ou aren0t carefu% $hat 'ou0re doing $ith that ha))er so)eone $i%% hurt in a )inute `. The $ord stupid2 $as in )' report but it $asn0t referred to 'ou. . 0) sorr' 0) %ate. got he%d up in the traffic. . (hen did 'ou discoer that the )one' had been disappearedG 17.Chi%dren under the age of seen do not a%%o$ in this poo%. E). !&. Put in t+e o--et 5o-s7 ati,e o- passi,e7 o5 t+e ,e-bs in b-akets. HO* THE OTHER HA,F ,IVES \ord ,anning $as a rich and fa)ous banker. (hen he *die+& he *gie+ a )agnificent funera% $hich *attend+ b' hundreds of fa)ous peop%e. The funera% $as going to *ho%d+ in (est)inster "bbe'. ,an' ordinar' peop%e *%ine+ the streets to $atch the procession. The $onderfu% b%ack and go%d carriage *dra$+ b' 1] b%ack horses. The )ourners *fo%%o$+ in si%ence. \ord ,annings *gie+ a ro'a% fare$e%%. T$o tra)ps $ere a)ong the cro$d & the' *$atch+ the procession. "s so%e)n )usic *can/hear+ in the distance& one of the) *turn+ to the other and *$hisper+ in ad)iration! 2_o$& that0s $hat ca%% rea%%' %iing2 E). !1. Put in t+e o--et 5o-s7 ati,e o- passi,e7 o5 t+e ,e-bs in b-akets. FISH7 TA,ES ,er)aids *see+ q b' sai%ors for centuries. The basis of a%% )er)aids )'ths *suppose+ qto be a creature ca%%ed a ,anatee! a kind of $a%rus ,er)aids used to *sho$+ qin funfairs unti% recent%'. t a%% began in 11` $hen a )er)aid2 *bu'+ qfor ]&77 b' a sai%or in South Pacific. She *eentua%%' se%%+ qto the great circus o$ner Barnu). She *ehibit+ qin 15 as The Fee3ee ,er)aid2.
t *sa'+q that she earned Barnu) 1&777 a $eek The thousands $ho sa$ this )er)aid *)ust/disappoint+q . She *c%eer%' )ake+ qb' a Japanese fisher)an. " )onke'0s head *de%icate%' se$+ qto the tai% of a %arge sa%)on. The 3ob *so ski%fu%%' do+ qthat the 3oint bet$een the fish and the )onke' $as inisib%e. -ea% i)agination *)ust/re[uire+ qto see this reo%ting creature as a beautifu% )er)aid co)bing her go%den hair E). !2. Use passi,e o- ati,e7 in an/ app-op-iate tense7 5o- t+e ,e-bs in b-akets.
1. The ")aon a%%e' is etre)e%' i)portant to the eco%og' of the earth. Fort' percent of the $or%d0s o'gen *produce+ there. 5. The ga)e *$in& probab%'+ b' the other tea) to)orro$. The'0re a %ot better than $e are. :. There $as a terrib%e accident on a bus' do$nto$n street 'esterda'. ^oens of peop%e *see+ it& inc%uding )' friend& $ho *interie$+ b' the po%ice. . n )' countr'& certain prices *contro%+ b' the goern)ent& such as prices for )edica% supp%ies. Ho$eer& other prices *deter)ine+ b' ho$ )uch peop%e are $i%%ing to pa' for a product. 6. 9esterda' the $ind *b%o$+ )' hat off )' head. had to chase it do$n the street. *$ant& not+ to %ose it because it0s )' faourite hat and it *cost+ )e a %ot. ]. -ight no$ "%e is in the hospita%. He *treat+ for a bad burn on his hand and ar). `. 9esterda' a purse4snatcher *catch+ b' a dog. (hi%e the thief *chase+ b' the po%ice& he *3u)p+ oer a fence into so)eone0s 'ard& $here he encountered a ferocious dog. The dog *keep+ the thief fro) escaping. . Frostbite )a' occur $hen the skin *epose+ to etre)e co%d. t )ost fre[uent%' *affect+ the skin of the cheeks& chin& ears& fingers& nose& and toes. . The first fish *appear+ on the earth about 677 )i%%ion 'ears ago. Up to no$& oer 57&777 kinds of fish *na)e+ and *describe+ b' scientists. _e$ species *discoer+ eer' da'& so the tota% increases continua%%'. 17.Proper first aid can sae a icti)0s %ife& especia%%' if the icti) is b%eeding heai%'& has stopped breathing& of *poison+. 11.The goern)ent used to support the schoo%. Toda' it *support+ b' priate funds as $e%% as b' the tuition the students pa'.
15.-ichard "nderson is a for)er astronaut. Seera% 'ears ago& at the age of 65& "nderson *infor)+ b' his superior at the aircraft corporation that he cou%d no %onger be a test pi%ot. He *te%%+ that he $as being re%ieed fro) his duties because of his age. C%ai)ing age discri)ination& he took the corporation to court. 1:.n the ear%' 70s& photographs of ,ars *send+ back to earth b' un)anned space probes. Fro) these photographs& scientists hae been ab%e to )ake detai%ed )aps of the surface of ,ars. 1." net$ork of %ines *discoer+ on ,ars0 surface b' an ta%ian astrono)er around the turn of the centur'. The astrono)er *ca%%+ these %ines2 channe%s2& but $hen the ta%ian $ord *trans%ate+ into Eng%ish& it beca)e cana%s2. "s a resu%t& so)e peop%e thought the %ines $ere $ater$a's that *bui%d+ b' so)e unkno$n %iing creatures. (e kno$ that the %ines are not rea%%' cana%s. Cana%s *eist& not+ on ,ars. E). !3. Suppl/ t+e -e9ui-e* passi,e 5o-s o5 t+e ,e-bs in b-akets.
1. "unt ^inah *not to %ike+ b' )' father0s fa)i%'j she *to consider+ u%gar. 5. "fter his brother0s departure Pau% sat for a %ong ti)e thinking about $hat *to sa'+. :. 0) not prepared2& )' father said& 2to %isten to 'our suggestions that 'ou neer *to treat+ fair%' at schoo%2. . n the dra$ing4roo) the )usic of ,oart *to p%a'+ b' an orchestra seen on the screen. 6. -e)e)ber *to pa'+ b' an hour20 gru)b%ed the drier. ]. But there $ere signs that order *to restore+ in the to$n. `. *to receie+ b' one of the chiefs and *to take+ for %unch to the canteen. . (e%%& $hat *to do+ about it& TedG . He $ent into the bedroo). The bed *to turn+ do$n for the night b' a naked )aid )an' hours before. 17.P%ease find out of our father *to see+ to %eae. 11.She cou%d hae gone to Ca)bridge if she had $anted& she *to offer+ a scho%arship. 15.He arried 3ust after the e%ectricit' *to cut+& and Joseph $as %ighting the oi%4%a)ps. 1:.#n Frida' she *to gie+ t$o $eeks0 notice at the (orks. 1.Then the oice announced that the passengers *to ask+ to pass through the Custo)s.
16. $ondered to $hat etent she *to inf%uence+ b' his na)e to accept the offer. 1].,eg *to %ook+ upon as a perfect $ife for a terrorist. 1`.Such are the )atters that *to dea%+ $ith in ,r. Burrough0s book. 1.He *see+ entering the schoo% bui%ding 3ust $hen the first student *ca%%+ upon to read a%oud fro) the Beo$u%f. 1."head of us the port %a' in a f%ood of %ights. T$o cargo4ships *to un%oad+ a ship)ent of cocaine. 57. found the idea of going to Hereford er' upsetting because *to pro)ise+ a er' nice 3ob a coup%e of $eeks before. 51._ot far a$a' she noticed the fi%) )anager in $hose office she once *to )ake+ to fee% so ridicu%ous. 55.9ou )ust be er' prosperous& Ji))'& to o$n a car %ike that.2 This car *to %end+ to )e b' an ")erican $o)an.2 5:. fe%t *to catch+ on boasting. 5. cou%dn0t te%% hi) that had spent the )one' *to %eae+ in order to get )'se%f a house. 56."fter %unch& $e heard that Char%es *to send+ for. E). !. Use t+e -e9ui-e* passi,e 5o-s.
1. The reception $as a%% that *to epect+. (hen $e arried $e *to sho$+ into so)e kind of ha%% $here $e *to detain+ $ith the rest of the actors. "pparent%' $e *not to a%%o$+ 'et to )ing%e $ith the other cro$d. "s the guests asse)b%ed in the roo)& it $as p%ain to )e that the' *to choose+ carefu%%'. \ooking around& recognised "nthon' B%anche. He *to point+ out to )e often in the streets. *to interrupt+ in )' obseration b' a $o)an reporter $ho) the )anager had %ed up to )e. *to $arn+ against the dangers of being interie$ed b' strangers. "s $e *to introduce+ )ade up )' )ind to aoid it at an' cost. 5. t $as Saturda' night and Pete sat $atching T. Peop%e *to ki%%+ for an hour on the screen. Po%ice)en *to shoot+ in the %ine of dut'& gangsters *to thro$+ off roofs& and an e%der%' %ad' s%o$%' *to poison+ for her pear%s& and her )urderer *to bring+ to 3ustice b' a cigarette co)pan' after %ong discussions $hich *to ho%d+ in the office of a priate detectie. i%%ains ho%ding guns *to %eap+ at b' brae& unar)ed actors& and ingenues *to sae+ fro) deaths b' the [uick4thinking 'oung )en.
:. The Conno%%' chi%dren *to find+ %urking under the seats of a carriage $hen the train *to e)pt'+. The' *to drag+ out and *to stand+ on the p%atfor). Since the' cou%d not *to %eae+ there& the' *to inc%ude+ in the part' that *to send+ b' bus to the i%%age. Fro) that )o)ent their destin' for eer *to ino%e+ $ith that of the i%%age. _othing eer *to discoer+ about the chi%dren0s parents. . Bridgeha)pton& Frida'. " disastrous fire broke out on the top f%oor of the 8rand Hote%& (ashington -oad& in the s)a%% hours of the )orning. The a%ar) *to gie+ b' the night porter. His attention *to dra$+ to s)oke issuing fro) one of the top f%oor $indo$s b' a group of 'oung peop%e $ho $ere returning %ate fro) a dance. (ithin fie )inutes the to$n Fire Brigade $as on the spot. The $ork of fighting the fire and eacuating the guests serious%' *to ha)per+ b' the non4operation of the %ifts. t *to be%iee+ that the fire *to cause+ b' a short circuit in the %ift )achiner' and had etended to the $ho%e f%oor before it *to detect+. The f%a)es *to bring+ under contro% in fift'4t$o hours. T$o of the guests sta'ing at the hote% %ost their %ied. The' *to trap+ in their roo)s and eident%' *to oerco)e+ b' fu)es before the rescuers cou%d reach he). " third guest *to take+ to the hospita% $ith )u%tip%e burns. His condition *to report+ as being serious. E). !!. Use t+e -e9ui-e* ati,e o- passi,e tense 5o-s.
1. once *to kno$+ a i%%age teacher $ho *to be+ partia%%' b%ind. He *to deprie+ of one e'e as the resu%t of infection. His b%ind e'e *to take+ out& and a g%ass one *to insert+ in its socket instead. #ne da' the teacher *to need+ to %eae his c%ass of s)a%% chi%dren a%one for ha%f an hour or so. But he *to ho%d+ back b' one consideration. The chi%dren of the c%ass *to be+ rea%%' unru%'. He *to kno$+ that if the' *to %eae+ a%one for an' %ength of ti)e the' *to beco)e+ io%ent and co)p%aints *to )ake+ b' their parents. Sudden%' he *to strike+ b' an idea. n a )o)ent his g%ass e'e *to take+ out of its socket& and *to p%ace+ on the tab%e. _o$& chi%dren&2 he said& *to go+ out for a fe$ )inutes but 'ou *to obsere+ a%% the ti)e b' )' e'e. f an'thing *to do+ $hich *not to approe+ b' )e it *to see+ b' )' e'e& and the chi%d *to punish+ $hen *to return+. The chi%dren *to i)press+ er' )uch& and the teacher *to go+ off. But $hen he *to return+ an hour %ater *to see)+ that a hurricane *to pass+ through the c%assroo). The teacher *to astound+. Eident%'2& he thought& *to out$it+. $onder ho$.2
n the c%assroo) the tab%es *to oerturn+& the $a%%s *to spatter+ $ith ink fro) ink4bo)bs $hich *to thro$+ during the batt%e $hich sti%% *to fight+ out as a )anifestation of high spirits. n fact& a good ti)e *to hae+ b' a%%. The teacher *to $onder+ $h' the presence of his g%ass e'e *not to respect+. He *to %ook+ around for it and *to see+ that it *to coer+ b' a hat. 5. "t the %ast g%o$ of sunset& the' *to board+ the aerop%ane in inerse order of seniorit' beginning $ith the sergeant and ending $ith 8enera% Spit. The p%ane the' *to proide+ $ith $as %uurious for the $arti)e. t *to fit+ $ith seats. \itt%e %ights *to g%o$+ a%ong the roof. Soon the doors *to shut+. The %ights *to go+ out. t *to be+ no$ co)p%ete%' dark. (hat once *to be+ $indo$s *to paint+ out. The roar of the engine *to i)pose+ si%ence on the part'. ^an& $ho *to put+ hi)se%f net to cockpit& *to %ong+ for a forbidden cigarette and *to tr'+ to co)pose hi)se%f for s%eep& though it *to be+ far fro) his nor)a% bedti)e. He *to $ear+ the sa)e shirt a%% da' $ithout a chance of changing. n the hot afternoon it *to be+ da)p $ith s$eat. _o$ in the chi%% upper air it *to c%ing+ to hi) and *to set+ hi) shiering. t *not to occur+ to hi) to bring his greatcoat. t *to be+ an unsatisfactor' da'. He *to $ander+ about the streets of the o%d to$n $ith the \ieutenant. The' *to %unch+ at the c%ub and *to order+ to report at the airfie%d t$o hours before the' *to need+. He *not to dine+ and *to see+ no hope of doing so. He *to sit+ in b%ack boredo) and disco)fort unti%& after and hour& s%eep *to co)e+. E). !". T-anslate into En4lis+.
Part 2. E
E). "&. Fin* t+e istakes in ea+ o5 t+ese sentenes an* o--et t+e.
1. 5. :. . 6. ].
-o)eo and Ju%iet $ere $ritten fro) Shakespeare. can0t gie 'ou a ride because )' car is repairing. $ere to%d that& after been repaired& it $i%% be as good as ne$. t thought that )an' diseases caused b' s)oking cigarettes. (e $ere te%%ing to arrie b' noon& but $e $ere de%a'. t $as announce for the co)pan' president that %arge profits had be )ade.
E). "1. C+an4e t+ese sentenes as in t+e e)aple. T+en t+ink about w+/ t+is istakes t+e bette-7 an* +ek /ou- answe-s in t+e ke/.
E.g.! That she had not $ritten to her parents for oer t$o 'ears surprised )e. ; was sur%rised that she had not written to her %arents #or over two years& 1. That nobod' $as prepared to take hi) to hospita% shocked us. 5. That ,ar' $anted to te%% eer'bod' $hat to do anno'ed )e. :. That 8eorge rang )e up at three o0c%ock in the )orning to te%% )e he $as in %oe again didn0t p%ease )e.
. The fact that he %ooked co)p%ete%' different fro) the %ast ti)e had )et hi) confused )e. E). "2. C+oose t+e best wa/ o5 ontinuin4 a5te- ea+ sentene.
1. He %ies in a s)a%% house. a+ So)ebod' bui%t it about fort' 'ears ago. b+ t $as bui%t about fort' 'ears ago. 5. Eng%ish is $orth %earning. a+ Peop%e speak it in a %ot of countries. b+ t is spoken in a %ot of countries. :. He got a sport car& but he didn0t %ike it. a+ So he so%d it again. b+ So it $as so%d again. . ,' nephe$ is an artist. a+ He has 3ust painted another picture. b+ "nother picture has 3ust been painted b' hi). 6. The ne$ irginia ,e'er fi%) is )are%%ous. a+ The' are sho$ing it at our %oca% cine)a. b+ t is being sho$n at our %oca% cine)a. E). "3. C+oose t+e best sentene 5-o ea+ pai- to buil* up a ontinuous te)t.
1. 5. :. . 6. ]. `.
E.g.! a+ !ow boos are madeJ b+ !ow %eo%le mae boosJ a+ First of a%%& printers print big sheets of papers. b+ First of a%%& big sheets of papers are printed. a+ Each sheet contains the tet of a nu)ber of pages *e.g. :5+. b+ Each tet of a nu)ber of pages *e.g. :5+ is contained in each sheet. a+ Peop%e fo%d and cut the sheets to produce sections of the book. b+ The sheets are fo%ded and cut to produce sections of the book. a+ These sections are ca%%ed signatures. b+ (e ca%% these sections signatures. a+ The printers put a%% the signatures together in a correct order. b+ "%% the signatures are put together in a correct order. a+ Then the' are bound together and their edges are tri))ed. b+ Then the' bind the signatures together and tri) the edges. a+ Fina%%'& the coer † $hich has been printed separate%' † is attached. b+ Fina%%'& the' attach the coer † $hich the' hae printed separate%'. a+ _o$ the pub%ishers can pub%ish the book. b+ _o$ the book can be pub%ished.
E). ". ' Rew-ite t+ese inst-utions7 usin4 siple oan*s instea* o5 t+e passi,e. " regu%ar sie sheet of t'ping paper *‡ 11 inches of "+ needs to be used for this eperi)ent. First of a%%& it has to be torn into four s)a%%er pieces. This is done as fo%%o$s! 1. t has to be fo%ded in the )idd%e and then it can be torn into t$o pieces. 5. Each piece is fo%ded again across the )idd%e and torn to )ake a tota% of four e[ua%4sie pieces. _o$ one of the pieces is p%aced on the tab%e $ith the %ong sides pointing do$n. " horionta% %ine is dra$n across the top of the paper about a [uarter of the $a' fro) the top. Then t$o ertica% %ines are dra$n do$n$ards fro) the horionta% %ine& so that the botto) part of the paper is diided into three e[ua%4sie parts. _et& the paper has to be torn a%ong each of these ertica% %ines as far as the horionta% %ine so that three f%aps are created. Then the %eft f%ap is fo%ded to$ards 'ou and the right f%ap is fo%ded a$a' fro) 'ou † the fo%ds are )ade right at the top of the f%ap. The centre f%ap shou%d not be not fo%ded& though. _o$ a paper c%ip has to be found and this is attached to the botto) of the centre f%ap. Fina%%'& the $ho%e thing has to be raised high and is then a%%o$ed to fa%%q
Begin %ike this! Kse a regular"siCe sheet o# a ty%ing %a%er 38L : 11 inches o# A4 #or this e:%eriment& 7irst o# all$ tear it into #our smaller %ieces& ?o this as #ollows M ( Ca--/ out t+e e)pe-ient7 5ollowin4 t+e inst-utions /ou +a,e w-itten. E). "!. Rew-ite t+ese newspape- +ea*lines as oplete sentenes7 usin4 t+e passi,e.
E.g.! Theft of a%uab%e painting fro) _ationa% 8a%%er'. A valuable %ainting has been stolen #rom the >ational Gallery& 1. #er 177 high$a' deaths %ast )onth 5. #er 5&777 ne$ businesses begun %ast 'ear
:. Spacecraft discoers ne$ p%anet be'ond P%uto . 16 students arrested after de)onstration 6. ,eico $ins soccer cha)pionship ]. ,anager accused of the accepting bribes † forced to resign `. ,issing air%iner found in 3ung%e † suriors rescued b' he%icopter
SECTION VI. CHEC 7O0RSE,F 1. Rew-ite t+ese sentenes in t+e passi,e7 usin4 app-op-iate tense o- o*al
1. 5. :. . 6. ]. `.
The' destro'ed the origina% picture 'ears ago. The' hae neer ep%ained the eents of that night. 9ou shou%dn0t store c%eaning f%uid and soft drinks together. 9ou can bu' fi%) for this ca)era an'$here. The' took the sto%en goods across the frontier. 9ou $i%% sho$ passes $hen entering the bui%ding. The' had to%d her to )ake an app%ication.
2. Coplete t+ese sentenes usin4 a passi,e onst-ution. Onl/ use b5 i5 it?s natu-al to *o so. 1. " bus near%' hit eith $hi%e he $as tr'ing to cross the road. 3NeithM 5. \ucki%' %ightning doesn0t strike )an' peop%e. :. The incident shou%dn0t har) re%ations bet$een the po%ice and the co))unit'. . The sno$ is er' hea'. British -ai% has cance%%ed a%% trains to Scot%and. 6. The po%ice officer is interie$ing her about the cri)e. ]. The burg%ars hae sto%en )' stereo and te%eision. 3. C+an4e t+e passi,e sentenes in t+e lette- into t+e ati,e. ^ear ,ada)e& t is $ith regret that $e no$ gie the for)a% notice that 'our account has been c%osed. 9our credit %i)it has been eceeded b' oer 577. Custo)ers are asked to app%' in $riting if the' $ish their credit to be etended& and this $as not done. 9ou $ere $arned %ast )onth that this $ou%d be the resu%t. n accordance $ith the conditions of use& a cop' of $hich has a%read' been sent to 'ou& the $ho%e of the ba%ance is pa'ab%e $ith i))ediate effect. 9ou are re[uired to return to us 'our credit card& but before doing so it shou%d be cut in ha%f for securit'. " pre4addressed ene%ope *not pre4paid+ is enc%osed. 9ours faithfu%%'& -. J. Bo& 8enera% ,anager . Tu-n t+ese newspape-s +ea*lines into -a*io news +ea*lines. @In5o-al7 spoken 5o-. •
“Highjacked jet blown up”
• • •
“Cure for cancer at last” “7 pickets arrested in miners’ strike” “40 killed in train crash in Sweden”
!. Coplete ea+ sentene usin4 a passi,e onst-ution. 1. † 0) g%ad that horrib%e )an *catch+. † 9es& 0) sure he *send+ to prison. 5. † (hen sa$ hi) he *[uestion+ b' the po%ice. † think he *gie+ a er' %ong sentence. :. † The post)an to%d )e he *bite+ b' a dog. † *Take+ to hospita%G . † hear that a %ot of rish 3okes *inc%ude+ in tonight0s sho$. † #h& no hate it $hen insu%ting 3okes *te%%+ about other nationa%ities. ". C+oose t+e best 5o-. #n Tuesda' "ugust 11 th 111 a 'oung artist& \ouis Beraud& *1+ at the \oure in Paris to co)p%ete a painting of the Sa%on Carre. This $as the roo) $here the $or%d0s fa)ous paintings& the ,ona \isa b' \eonardo da inci& $as on disp%a'. To his surprise& there $as an e)pt' space $here the painting *5+. " guard to%d hi) it probab%' *:+. "n hour %ater seera% isitors had co)p%ained about the )issing picture& and so the guard $ent en[uire about it. "t e%een o0c%ock the )useu) authorities rea%ised that the painting *+. The po%ice *6+& but it $as : p.). before the eits *]+. The ne$spapers *`+ at p.).& and the net da' head%ines a%% oer the $or%d announced the theft. "ctua%%' the \eonardo *+ for )ore than 5 hours before an'one noticed it $as )issing. 9."+has arried
B+arried C+had been arried 2."+shou%d be
B+is C+shou%d hae been :."+being photographed
B+$as being photographed C+$as photographed ;."+had been sto%en
1. a+ The secretar' $i%% )ai% these %etters to )orro$. b+ These %etters $i%% be )ai%ed to)orro$& and $hat about these onesG 5. a+ So)eone ought to $ash those dishes right a$a'. b+ Those dishes ought to be $ashed right a$a'& and $hat about these onesG :. a+ The factor' produced 6&777 cars eer' da' %ast 'ear. b+ 6&777 cars $ere produced eer' da' %ast 'ear& and $hat about this 'earG . a+ Peop%e drink a great dea% of tea in Eng%and. b+ " great dea% of tea is drunk in Eng%and& and $hat about 'our countr'G 6. a+ Crafts)en )ake )an' beautifu% ob3ects of paper in Japan. b+ ,an' beautifu% ob3ects of paper are )ade in Japan& and $hat about ndiaG ]. a+ The' used to se%% )edicine here. b+ ,edicine is used to be so%d here& and $here is it so%d no$G `. a+ 9ou )ust return these books $ithin a fortnight. b+ These books )ust be returned $ithin a fortnight& and $hat about those onesG . a+ " gang of $ork)en bui%t this house in 17. b+ This house $as bui%t in 17& and $hat about this oneG E). "#. ' p-ess on5e-ene is bein4 +el*. Put in t+e o--et 5o-s o5 t+e ,e-bs. 8-aatise t+e *ialo4ue.
1. -eporter! Can this ne$ drug pro%ong hu)an %ifeG Professor! 'es& $e be%iee that hu)an %ife can be pro%onged b' the drug. 5. -.! "re 'ou going to do an' )ore tests on the drugG P.! 9es& further tests . :. -. (hat the drug G P.! t $i%% be ca%%ed Bio4,eg. . -.! Can peop%e use the drug no$G P.! _o& the drug 'et. 6. -.! (ho $i%% produce the drugG P.! t b' the Bentri drug co)pan'. ]. -. ^o 'ou think the' shou%d se%% it to an'one $ho $ants itG P.! 9es& think it free%'.
`. -.! "nd $hat [uantit' cou%d Bentri produceG P.! (e be%iee the drug in %arge [uantities. E). "$. Aou a-e tellin4 a 5-ien* soe news. Use t+e notes an* w-ite ea+ sentene in t+e P-esent Pe-5et7 ati,e @+as *one o- passi,e @+as been *one.
1. *So)eone † repair † phone bo+ 9ou kno$ the phone bo at the end of the roadG t has been repaired. 5. *Treor † %eae † his $ife+ Hae 'ou heard about TreorG . :. *So)eone † stea% † ate0s † ne$ car+ 9ou kno$ about ate0s ne$ carG . . *Parkers † bu' † ideo ca)era+ 9ou kno$ the ParkersG The' . 6. *"n a)bu%ance † take † ,r. ^eacon † hospita%+ Poor o%d ,r. ^eacon He . ]. *#$ner † se%% † house+ 9ou kno$ the house on the cornerG t . `. *Picture † $in † the co)petition+ 9ou re)e)ber that picture ,ark paintedG . . *Co)pan' † sack † Caro%ine+ fee% sorr' for Caro%ine. . . *So)ething † run oer † cat+ Bad ne$s about the cat net door E). "%. Coplete t+is on,e-sation wit+ ,e-bs in a suitable tense7 ati,e o- passi,e. Lea-n t+e *ialo4ue b/ +ea-t.
Cind' and Petra are )e)bers of a o%%e'ba%% tea). C. (h' $asn0t C%aire at the training sessionG P. Haen0t 'ou heardG She has been *1+ thro$n out for stea%ing. C. _o -ea%%'G P. 9es She *5+ taking )one' fro) so)eone0s bag in the changing roo). C (ho b'G P. The sports c%ub )anager. She *:+ through the changing roo) $hen she *+. C. #h& dearq That0s terrib%e
P. C%aire said she *6+ to fetch the )one' b' aren& but $hen aren *]+ about it& she said she *`+ *not+ $hat C%aire $as ta%king about. C. But ho$ stupid of aren to %eae )one' in the changing roo) P. 9es She *+that b' the )anager too. C. She *+ *not+ it again& an'ho$. P. _o& guess not. (hat do 'ou think C%aire *17+ no$G C. don0t kno$. This is the second c%ub she *11+ to %eae& isn0t itG P. 9es. t0s hard to kno$ $hat can *15+ for so)eone %ike C%aire. E). #&. +o b/0 ;-oup wo-k. Mat+ t+e two oluns. T+en ake a sentene 5o- ea+7 usin4 t+e passi,e. Look at t+e e)aple 5i-st. E:am%le ; thin %enicillin was discovered by Ale:ander 7leming& 1. Guernica ,argaret ,itche%% 5. -adiu) Picasso :. Penici%%in "gatha Christie . 5ashomon Tho)as Edison 6. \ight bu%bs ,adonna ]. Gone with the Oind "%eander F%e)ing `. (a%k)an Stereo (a%t ^isne' . ,icke' ,ouse ,8,# Uniersit' . 9aterial Girl Son' 17. Oar and Peace ,arie Curie 11. This book%et "kira urosa$a 15. 9urder on the
. The' are going to finish the $ork net $eek. B+ Pai- wo-k. \ook at the decoration of the roo) 'ou are in no$. Ta%k about $hat has been done and $hat needs to be done. E). #1. Pai- wo-k. )agine that 'our apart)ent $as redecorated $hi%e 'ou $ere on acation.. Unfortunate%'& 'our instructions $ere not fo%%o$ed. 9our partner shou%d find out $hat $as done $rong in 'our apart)ent. These are the instructions that $ere %eft for the painter. 9ou can see $hat $as done right! ble 8 and $hat $as done $rong! %)ite pale 4-een *pa%e green instead of $hite+ OOR
itchen Stud' \iing roo) Ha%% Front door Bedroo) Bathroo)
B%ue ^ark green Tan B%ue † red (hite † grey #range † red (hite † blue
*A,,S (hite † %ale green Pa%e green † white Tan † brown
CEI,IN1 (hite † %in 8reen † red (hite † tan 8re' † blue
#range B%ue † white
(hite Pa%e b%ue
Ea)p%e! ". (as 'our kitchen painted a%% rightG B. _o& the kitchen cei%ing shou%d hae been painted $hite instead of pink& and $a%%s $ere painted pa%e green instead of $hite. ". "nd ho$ about the doorG B. The door $as painted b%ue $hich $as fine. E). #2. as e,e-/t+in4 been *one0 Pai- wo-k. Student ". )agine that 'ou took 'our car to be sericed at 'our %oca% garage& and these are the 3obs 'ou $anted the) to do. Phone the garage and find out fro) 'our partner *o$ner of the garage+ $hich 3obs hae been done. Use the pattern! !as anyone checed the oilJ
Student B )agine that 'ou $ork at the garage. 9our partner is going to phone 'ou to check $hich 3obs hae been done to his/her car. The 3ob that hae been done are sho$n $ith a check * +. Use the patterns! Qes$ the oil has been checed& >o$ the hood has not been %olished yet$ but ;’ll mae sure it is done be#ore you get here& • •
Fi door %ock -ep%ace broken head%ight bu%b Change spark p%ugs C%ean out trunk Fi%% tank $ith gas
E). #3. P-esent P-o4-essi,e Passi,e. )agine 'ou are in a bus' hote% at )idda'. ,ake sentences to sa' $hat is being done& using $ords fro) the %ist be%o$ and Present Progressie Passie. E&g& eds are being made&
E). #. P-esent Pe-5et Passi,e. )agine that& rich and fa)ous& 'ou returned to 'our o%d ho)ed after 67 'ears. " %ot of things are different. ,ake sentences& using $ords fro) the %ist be%o$ and the Present Perfect Passie. E&g& The Ra#e 5oyal has been turned into a casino&
Cafe -o'a% opera house to$n centre
house boats o%d fire station statue of 'ou
ne$ car park ne$ schoo%s ring road station streets Super Cine)a 'our house
bui%d )odernise put up in park rebui%d $iden turn into casino *f%oating restaurant / )useu) / super)arket / theatre / pedestrian precinct
E). #. In5initi,e an* Gin4 5o-s. Make soe sentenes be4innin4 ; 3don’t lie M"ing o- ; 3don’t want to M usin4 wo-*s 5-o t+e list. E&g& ; lie being taled to& ; don’t want to be #orgotten&
THE PASSIVE VOICE *Contents+ SECTION I. THE FORMATION OF THE PASSIVE VOICE...9 MOA, VER-S2 0SES OF THE PASSIVE VOICE PEC0,IAR TO THE EN1,ISH ,AN10A1E2 E)e-ises 1G2
SECTION II. 9. RECO1NISE THE PASSIVE.. 2. SIMP,E FORMS :. PRO1RESSIVE FORMS..99 ;. PERFECT FORMS9: E)e-ises 3G13
SECTION III. 9. THE PASSIVE MI 2. ACTIVE OR PASSIVE= MI
SECTION IV. 9. PASSIVE AFTER MOA, VER-S2; 2. PASSIVE VER-S *ITH PREPOSITIONA, O-?ECTS.2 :. PASSIVE *ITH 1ET..2J ;. PASSIVE SENTENCES *ITH AN *ITHO0T -7..:2 . PASSIVE STR0CT0RES OF THE VER-S *ITH T*O O-?ECTS.:> E)e-ises 2"G"
SECTION V. REVISION Part 9..;: E)e-ises #G!% Part 2 E3ercises "a$vance$ level#;G E)e-ises "&G"!
SECTION VI. CHEC 7O0RSE,F.2
SECTION VII COMM0NICATION ACTIVITIES.; E)e-ises ""G#