Some exercises to improve your skills in the FCE examFull description
key word transformationFull description
Some exercises to improve your skills in the FCE exam
Some exercises to improve your skills in the FCE examFull description
Descripción: key word transformation
Key Word Transformation ExercisesDescripción completa
Key Word Transformation ExercisesFull description
Descripción: FCE Key Word Transformation Exercises with answers.
Key Word Transformation ExercisesFull description
Practise key word transformation for CAE/CPE.Full description
an exercise on cae key word transformationFull description
Descripción: English for FCE and CAE
We use the personal and impersonal passive to express other people`s opinions. We can use the impersonal passive to avoid mentioning the identity of the agent. We usually do this by using re…Descripción completa
We use the personal and impersonal passive to express other people`s opinions. We can use the impersonal passive to avoid mentioning the identity of the agent. We usually do this by using re…Full description
1. Peter is a lot older than Martin. AS Martin is ________________ Peter. 2. The only person Jane didn’t like was her boss. APART Jane liked everyone ________________ her boss. 3. Fewer people read Carlton’s books these days. WIDELY Carlton’s books ________________ these days. 4. Lucy doesn’t swim nearly as well as Kate. SWIMMER Kate is ________________ Lucy. 5. He was offered some work but he wasn’t able to accept it because he was too busy, TURNED He was offered some work but he ________________ because he was too busy. 6. Rap music isn’t nearly as popular as it was ten years ago. LESS Rap music is ________________ it was ten years ago. 7. I find studying more difficult as I become older. IS I find it ________________ as I become older. 8. My brother never asks when he borrows my things. ALWAYS My brother is ________________ asking.
9. I’ve always found learning languages easy. GOOD I’ve always ________________ learning languages. 10. Traffic today doesn’t move much faster than 100 years ago. LITTLE One hundred years ago, traffic moved ________________ than today. 11. Not many staff attended the meeting. NUMBER Only ________________ staff attended the meeting. 12. He wasted no time looking for a new car. SOON He looked for a new car ________________ possibly could. 13. Sally moved here ten years ago. LIVING Sally ________________ for ten years. 14. The children were not very interested in what the guide said. MUCH There ________________ among the children in what the guide said. 15. I think he’s rather nice. QUITE I think he’s ________________ person. 16. When I was younger I would play football with my father. USED
When I was younger my father and I ________________ football together. 17. There weren’t any to do the job. LACK There ________________ volunteers to do the job. 18. She’s worked very hard in the garden. DEAL She’s done a ________________ in the garden. 19. I don’t know why golf is so popular. PEOPLE I don’t know why ________________golf so much. 20. ‘This car’s not mine,’said the old man. BELONG ‘This car ________________,’ said the old man. 21. There don’t seem to be as many tourists around this year. FEWER There seem ________________ tourists around this year. 22. I can’t speak Mandarin Chinese. HOW I don’t know ________________ Mandarin Chinese. 23. Nobody helped her clean the house last week. HERSELF She ________________ last week. 24. Jane decided to wait and only hand in her work at the last minute.
PUT Jane decided to ________________ in her work until the last minute. 25. I don’t live with anyone else in this house. OWN I live ________________ in this house. 26. It wasn’t help if Tania goes to see the manager. POINT There’s ________________ to see the manager. 27. He loves her and she loves him very much. EACH They ________________ very much. 28. It was only after she left that I realised that she was famous. WASN’T It ________________ that I realised that she was famous. 29. Unfortunately, nobody painted this room for me. MYSELF I ________________, unfortunately. 30. I don’t know which person to talk to in the bank. WHO I ________________ talk to in the bank. 31. The holiday I enjoyed the most was the one we had in Greece. PLEASURE The holiday which ________________ was the one we had in Greece.
32. Caroline was too tired to work any more so she stopped. CARRY Caroline ________________ any more because she was too tired. 33. Mike can’t use a camcorder. HOW Mike doesn’t ________________ camcorder. 34. When you’ve done the things I want you to do, you can go out. WHAT You can go out when ________________ want you to do. 35. We don’t know the right places to find the information. WHERE We aren’t sure ________________ information. 36. I’m not sure which person I should believe. WHO I don’t ________________ believe. 37. I’m sure Sue was pleased when she saw the coat you bought her. BEEN Sue ________________ when she saw the coat you bought her. 38. I’d love to go to the cinema tonight, but I’ve got to do the ironing. WISH I ________________ the cinema tonight, but I’ve got to do the ironing. 39. There’s someone at the door, but it’s too early for Kate. BE There’s someone at the door, but ________________ because it’s too early.
40. I’m sure Tom’s tired because he’s yawning a lot. MUST Tom ________________ because he’s yawning a lot. 41. I’m hungry because the last time I ate was five hours ago. NOT I’m hungry because I ________________ five hours. 42. He’s so relaxed, I’m sure he’s just got back from holiday. BEEN He’s so relaxed, he ________________ holiday. 43. I’m not fit enough to go in for a marathon. TOO I’m ________________ go in for a marathon. 44. It was possible that he was having a shower, so he couldn’t hear the bell. MAY He ________________ shower, so he couldn’t hear the bell. 45. You can borrow my computer, but you must look after it. AS You can borrow my computer ________________ look after it. 46. I’m sure she hasn’t left because her coat’s still here. HAVE She ________________ because her coat’s still here. 47. I am here as a representative of the Government. BEHALF
I’m here ________________ the Government. 48. They employ extra staff at the weekends. ON Extra staff ________________ at the weekends. 49. Prices have gone up sharply again. INCREASE There has been ________________ prices. 50. Phil knows how to cheat successfully at cards. AWAY Phil knows how to ________________ at cards. 51. I’ll take my CD player because we might want to listen to music. CASE I’ll take my CD player ________________ listen to music. 52. It’s time you started some serious work at college. DOWN It’s time you ________________ serious work at college. 53. There probably won’t be any more customers today. UNLIKELY It ________________ be any more customers today. 54. They had to cancel the outdoor exhibition because of the bad weather. CALLED The outdoor exhibition ________________ because of the bad weather. 55. I failed to persuade Tom to take up stamp collecting.
SUCCEED I ________________ Tom to take up stamp collecting. 56. We found it difficult to write the story. TROUBLE We ________________ the story. 57. Don’t worry! I’ll make him tell the truth. OUT Don’t worry! I’ll ________________ him. 58. I have never been to the National Museum. STILL I ________________ the National Museum. 59. The last time I saw Jenny was ten years ago. FOR I ________________ ten years. 60. John can still remember how nervous he felt on his first day at work. NEVER John ________________ how nervous he felt on his first day at work. 61. She began working for this company when she was 18. BEEN She ________________ for this company since she was 18. 62. Mr Thompson phoned a moment ago to say he will be late. JUST Mr Thompson ________________ to say he will be late.
63. It’s been a long time since our last meeting. MET We ________________ a long time. 64. Do you have a computer in your house? GOT Have ________________ home? 65. We went to Paris by train. ON We went ________________ Paris. 66. My little cousin wants to drive a bus when he leaves school. DRIVER My little cousin wants ________________ when he leaves school. 67. Is he a good pianist? PLAY Does ________________ well? 68. We watched a television documentary about Scotland last night. ON We watched a documentary ________________ last night. 69. How about going to see a film this evening? CINEMA Why don’t ________________ this evening? 70. I think she is lying about what happened. TRUTH I don’t think she ________________ about what happened.
71. Germany is well-known for making very good cars. REPUTATION The Germans ________________ for making very good cars. 72. A lot of snow fell yesterday in Vienna. HARD It ________________ in Vienna yesterday. 73. There has been a steady increase in prices over last year. STEADILY Prices ________________ over the past year. 74. My hometown is a fairly big industrial city. QUITE My hometown is ________________ industrial city. 75. Prague is rather expensive. BIT Prague is ________________ expensive city. 76. I have almost no money left after my holiday. HARDLY I have ________________ money left after my holiday. 77. The number of tourists I saw was really amazing. ABSOLUTELY I ________________ the number of tourists I saw. 78. Can I fly to Bratislava without having to change planes? DIRECT
Is there ________________ to Bratislava? 79. Keith really lost his temper when they told him to show his passport again. EXTREMELY Keith ________________ when they told him to show his passport again. 80. I really don’t like travelling by bus in the morning. STAND I ________________ by bus in the morning. 81. I decided to go to Africa on my own. DECISION It ________________ to go to Africa on my own. 82. I didn’t have enough money to go to Rwanda by plane. AFFORD I ________________ to Rwanda by plane. 83. It took me ages to get all the documents I needed. SPENT I ________________ all the documents I needed. 84. It was difficult for me to smile when they told me the news. HELP I couldn’t ________________ heard the news. 85. I can hear laughter coming from the neighbours’ flat. PEOPLE I ________________ in the neighbour’s flat. 86. They said they would go to the police if we didn’t help them.
THREATENED They ________________ the police if we didn’t hep them. 87. I can’t wait to visit the new safari park. FORWARD I’m ________________ the new safari park. 88. I’m glad I went to Africa to see animals in their natural environment. WORTH It ________________ Africa to see animals in their natural environment. 89. The idea of waiting for five hours at the airport does not appeal to me. KEEN I’m not ________________ waiting for five hours at the airport. 90. We arrived at the cinema too late for the start of the film. ALREADY The film ________________ the time we arrived at the cinema. 91. On hearing the good news, everyone at the office gave a cheer. WHEN Everyone at the office gave a cheer ________________ the good news. 92. A fire broke out on board the plane shortly after it left the ground. JUST The plane ________________ off when a fire broke out on board. 93. James was surprised by their friendliness. EXPECTED James ________________ be so friendly.
94. I had hardly opened the front door when the phone rang. SOON The phone rang ________________ the front door. 95. We didn’t set off for the mountains until midday. WHEN It ________________ off for the mountains. 96. He read the whole letter before saying anything. UNTIL He didn’t say ________________ the whole letter. 97. I met somebody I knew on my flight to Athens last week. WHILE I met somebody I knew ________________ flying to Athens last week. 98. Sue was excited because it was her first visit to India. NEVER Sue was excited because ________________ India before. 99. The train journey took six hours, so we were really tired when we got to Madrid. FOR We were really tired when we got to Madrid because we ________________ six hours by train. 100. The players spent a lot of time training for the big game. DEAL The players spent ________________ time training for the big game. 101. Not many fans attended the match on Saturday. VERY
The match on Saturday was attended ________________ fans. 102. My brother is not very interested in sport. MUCH My brother doesn’t show ________________ sport. 103. First-class sports equipment is often very expensive. LOTS You often need to spend ________________ to buy first-class sports equipment. 104. There is a complete lack of sports facilities at our college. NO Our college has ________________ all. 105. The government spends very little money on sports education. SMALL The government only spends ________________ money on sports education. 106.Was the party enjoyable last night? YOURSELF Did ________________ the party last night? 107. Are you badly hurt? HURT Have ________________ badly? 108. I didn’t need any help to repair my bicycle. REPAIRED I ________________ own. 109. A lot of students can’t use the university’s new computers.
KNOW A lot of students don’t ________________ the university’s new computers. 110. I can’t remember Mike’s instructions. FORGOTTEN I ________________ told us to do. 111. Paul didn’t know the right person to ask for technical advice. SURE Paul wasn’t ________________ for technical advice. 112. Nobody came with me to the cinema yesterday. MYSELF I ________________ to the cinema yesterday. 113. In the interview, I couldn’t think of anything to say about my hobbies. KNOW In the interview, I didn’t ________________ about my hobbies. 114. Luke and Paul are having a very long conversation. TALKING Luke and Paul have ________________ other for ages. 115. Is this your own drawing or did someone help you? YOURSELF Did ________________ or did someone help you? 116. Joanna is now at the top of her profession. RISEN Joanna ________________ the top of her profession.
117. The lead dancer performed exceptionally well this evening. GAVE The lead dancer ________________ this evening. 118. Gary is obviously the best singer in the group. STANDS Gary ________________ the best singer in the group. 119. When on tour, musicians often miss their home. FEEL Many musicians tend to ________________ when they’re on tour. 120. Everyone was surprised at how popular the band’s first album was. BY Everyone was surprised ________________ of the band’s first album. 121. Jennifer didn’t accept the role in the new musical. DOWN Jennifer ________________ the role in the new musical. 122. The lead vocalist gets impatient very easily when she’s rehearsing a new song. LACKS The lead vocalist ________________ when she’s rehearsing a new song. 123. In April, the band left London to begin their World Tour. SET The band’s World Tour began when they ________________ London in April. 124. Lucas has always been full of ambition. VERY Lucas has always ________________ person.
125. Despite rumours, the bass guitarist does not intend to leave the band. HAS Despite rumours, the bass guitarist ________________ the band. 126. Opera does not interest Tania. INTERESTED Tania ________________ opera. 127. He has the ability to become a great musician. CAPABLE He ________________ a great musician. 128. The Institute of Art and the College of Art are not connected. CONNECTION There ________________ the Institute of Art and the College of Art. 129. Whose job is it to choose the actors’ costumes? RESPONSIBLE Who ________________ the actors’ costumes? 130. We need to solve this problem quickly. SOLUTION We need to find ________________ this problem. 131. Charles never forgets people’s names. GOOD Charles is very ________________ people’s names. 132. You cannot compare these two artists. COMPARISON
There ________________ these two artists. 133. The number of students at the college suddenly increased. INCREASE There was ________________ the number of students at the college. 134. I find it very difficult to understand the work of that artist. DIFFICULTY I have great ________________ the work of the artist. 135. I am sure it was a disappointment to you that you missed the concert. DISAPPOINTED I’m sure you ________________ the concert. 136. It wasn’t necessary for us to take a taxi. HAVE We ________________ take a taxi. 137. You can’t smoke in the non-smoking area. ALLOWED You ________________ in the non-smoking area. 138. You really should wear a warmer coat. BETTER You ________________ a warmer coat. 139. It’s very important to remember to tip the waiter. NOT You ________________ to tip the waiter. 140. You are under no obligation to accept his offer.
HAVE You ________________ his offer. 141. It was a mistake going to that restaurant last night. SHOULD We ________________ to that restaurant last night. 142. They made me book the table a week in advance. HAD I ________________ the table a week in advance. 143. Don’t go to that part of town after dark! MUST You ________________ to that part of town after dark! 144. ‘I won’t tell anyone what you did,’ George said. PROMISED George ________________ what I had done. 145. ‘I’ll buy the theatre tickets,’ Peter said. INSISTED Peter ________________ the theatre tickets. 146. ‘Can I have a piece of cake?’ Doug asked. WHETHER Doug asked ________________ another piece of cake. 147. ‘Why didn’t you arrive on time, John?’ Sally asked. WHY Sally asked John ________________ on time.
148. You’ve broken my watch, Simon!’ Alan said. ACCUSED Alan ________________ watch. 149. ‘Don’t leave the mountain footpath, Paul!’ Patricia said. WARNED Patricia ________________ leave the mountain footpath. 150. ‘Would you like to go to a rock concert this weekend, David?’ Maria asked. INVITED Maria ________________ go to a rock concert that weekend. 151. ‘We haven’t reserved you a seat, I’m afraid,’ the airline representative said. ADMITTED The airline representative ________________ reserved me a seat. 152. ‘I’m sorry about the mistake I made,’ John said. APOLOGISED John ________________ a mistake. 153. ‘Let’s go to the cinema,’ Alice said. SUGGESTED Alice ________________ a film. 154. I was unable to go to my sister’s wedding because I had flu. COULD I had flu so ________________ to my sister’s wedding. 155. Can you take part in the chess tournament next week? ABLE Will ________________ part in the chess tournament next week?
156. Eve is a strong swimmer, but she can’t swim across that lake. CAPABLE Although Eve is a strong swimmer, she ________________ across that lake. 157. Amanda is not a very good pianist. KNOW Amanda doesn’t ________________ the piano very well. 158. My sister was the best singer in the college choir. COULD Nobody in the college choir ________________ than my sister. 159. I can probably fix your car, even though I don’t have the right tools. ABLE I might ________________ your car, even though I don’t have the right tools. 160. How were you able to make such a tiny model train? MANAGE How ________________ such a tiny model train? 161. My brother managed to pass his driving test first time. SUCCEEDED My brother ________________ his driving test first time. 162. I couldn’t take any photos at the party because my camera was broken. ABLE Since my camera was broken I ________________ any photos at the party. 163. Despite the wind and rain, the climbers were able to put up their tent. MANAGED
Despite the wind and rain, the climbers ________________ their tent. 164. I didn’t know about her birthday, so I didn’t send her any flowers. SOME If I had known about her birthday, I ________________ flowers. 165. He is very rich today because he bought shares in an oil company. BE If he hadn’t bought shares in an oil company, he ________________ today. 166. If you obey the college rules, you will not have any problems. LONG You will not have any problems, ________________ the college rules. 167. You don’t get good marks because you don’t study hard. HARDER If you studied ________________ better marks. 168. Listen carefully or you won’t know what to do. IF You won’t know what to do ________________ carefully. 169. Anna speaks such good German because she lived in Hamburg for ten years. SO If Anna hadn’t lived in Hamburg for ten years, she ________________ well. 170. Unless you make some serious mistakes, I’m sure you’ll do well in the interview. PROVIDED I’m sure you’ll do well in the interview, ________________ make any serious mistakes. 171. You feel so tired every day because you go to bed late.
EARLIER If you went to bed ________________ so tired every day. 172. No matter how hard you work, you’ll never earn much money as a lawyer. EVEN You’ll never earn much money as a lawyer, ________________ really hard. 173. Without a law degree, you won’t get that job in Paris that you want. UNLESS You won’t get that job in Paris that you want ________________ a law degree. 174. I can hear you perfectly so you don’t need to shout. NO I can hear you perfectly so ________________ to shout. 175. As Jack usually arrived on time I began to feel rather worried. UNUSUAL As ________________ to be late, I began to feel rather worried. 176. How long was your flight from London to Bucharest? TAKE How long ________________ fly from London to Bucharest? 177. Don’t worry if you can’t find Mexcafe, because most brands of coffee are similar. MATTER Most brands of coffee are similar, so ________________ if you can’t find Mexcafe. 178. Why are the supermarket shelves empty? NOTHING Why ________________ the supermarket shelves?
179. Do you think this radio is faulty? PROBLEM Do you think ________________ this radio? 180. For the time being, planes can’t land as it is too foggy at the airport. FOG For the time being, planes can’t land as ________________ at the airport. 181. I enjoyed seeing Angela again, didn’t you? LOVELY Wasn’t ________________ Angela again? 182. Will many people be waiting outside the cinema, do you think? QUEUE Will ________________ outside the cinema, do you think? 183. It rainedheavily last night and all the rivers have flooded. STORM All the rivers have flooded because ________________ last night. 184.You ought to see a doctor about your headache. WERE If ________________ a doctor about your headache. 185. My father did not learn to drive when he was younger and now he regrets it. NOT My father ________________ when he was younger. 186. I didn’t find the film very interesting. INTERESTED I ________________ the film.
187. The day was so cold he didn’t know what to wear. SUCH It ________________ that he didn’t know what to wear. 188. I returned the computer to the shop because it didn’t work. TOOK The computer didn’t work so ________________ the shop. 189. I’ve never read a book as long as this. EVER This must be ________________ read. 190. When I was younger, I would often play with my brother. USED When I was younger, I ________________ with my brother. 191. We last went abroad six years ago. BEEN We ________________ six years. 192. ‘Are you saying I broke the vase?’ ACCUSING ‘Are ________________ the vase?’ 193. We left the room quietly ________________ the baby. ORDER We left the room quietly ________________ the baby. 194. Going to the gym seems pointless to me. POINT
I can’t ________________ going to the gym. 195. People think that my brother owns a huge villa in Italy. TO My brother ________________ a huge villa in Italy. 196. I decided not to buy a new car now, but to get one later. PUT I decided ________________ a new car until later. 197. The sea isn’t warm enough to go swimming. TOO The see ________________ to go swimming. 198. I’ll give you a key because I may not be in when you come back. CASE I’ll give you a key ________________ in when you come back. 199. Sam’s parents didn’t let him go out until he had tidied his room. MADE Sam’s parents ________________ his room before he went out. 200. Jake is very active even though he is not very well. SPITE Jake is very ________________ that he is not very well. 201. ‘Whose is that fur coat?’ she asked. BELONG ‘Who ________________ to?’ she asked. 202. When I was a child my aunt took care of me.
BROUGHT I ________________ my aunt when I was a child. 203. Tania would rather not cook dinner tonight. FEEL Tania ________________ dinner tonight. 204. It wouldn’t be a good idea if you ate too many chocolates. BETTER You ________________ too many chocolates. 205. Suzie’s husband is a lot older than she is. GREAT Suzie is married to a man who ________________ than she is. 206. ‘Don’t step on the ice – it’s dangerous,’ Zoe said to her sister. WARNED Zoe ________________ step on the ice because it was dangerous. 207. I really regret not bringing a camera tonight. WISH I really ________________ a camera tonight. 208. I expect you are delighted the Liverpool won the football match last night. MUST You ________________ that Liverpool won the football match last night. 209. A woman in the street spoke angrily to me because I’d bumped into her. OFF A woman in the street ________________ because I’d bumped into her.
210. Lucy plays the guitar really well. GOOD Lucy ________________ the guitar. 211. You almost never see some film stars out in public. RARELY Some film stars ________________ in public. 212. I’ll be very pleased to read what you’ve written. GREAT I’ll take ________________ what you’ve written. 213. ‘Where would you prefer to live – in the city or the country?’ RATHER ‘Would ________________ in the city or the country?’ 214. We expected to see ten people at the lecture but there were twenty. TWICE There were ________________ at the lecture than we had expected. 215. ‘You must get a taxi home,’ my brother said to us. INSISTED My brother ________________ a taxi home. 216. That’s the best film I’ve ever seen. NEVER I ________________ such a good film. 217. Maria found it very difficult to make a decision. DIFFICULTY Maria had great ________________ a decision.
218. Mark’s accident was so bad that he decided not to drive any more. PUT Mark’s accident ________________ for life. 219. A local decorator painted my room. HAD I ________________ a local decorator. 220. There was a storm while were flying to the Caribbean. DURING There was a storm ________________ to the Caribbean. 221. I really think you should go to the bank and get some money. WERE If I ________________ to the bank and get some money. 222. Mario doesn’t often arrive for a meeting. UNUSUAL If ________________ arrive late for a meeting. 223. I’ll lend you some money but you must pay me back tomorrow. LONG I’ll lend you some money ________________ me back tomorrow. 224. They say we should check out of the hotel by 10 a.m.. SUPPOSED We ________________ of the hotel by 10 a.m. 225. ‘I’m sorry I forget your birthday,’ said Carlos to me. APOLOGISED
Carlos ________________ my birthday. 226. What I really hate is people smoking while I’m eating. STAND I really ________________ while I’m eating. 227. ‘Do you know where my wallet is?’ my father asked me. SEEN My father asked me ________________ his wallet. 228. When my brother heared he’d failed his driving test, he began to cry. BROKE When my brother heared he had failed his driving test, he ________________ tears. 229. I don’t see the point in visiting this museum. WORTH In my opinion, it ________________ this museum. 230. It was a bad idea of ours to go to that party last night. SHOULD We ________________ to that party last night. 231. Agnes is meeting her brother Anthony at the airport. MET Anthony ________________ his sister Agnes at the airport. 232. I last saw Jane a week ago. SINCE I have ________________ week. 233. Ann is the best chess player in our club.
GOOD Nobody in our club is ________________ at chess. 234. He usually falls asleep in the armchair in the evenings. WILL He ________________ in the armchair in the evenings. 235. John asked Caroline to marry him, but she didn’t accept the offer because he was too old. TURNED John asked Caroline to marry him but she ________________ because he was too old. 236. I don’t know many people taller than Mark. ONE Mark is ________________ I know. 237. I would prefer if you said nothing to Tom about last night. WANT I don’t ________________ to Tom about last night. 238. This car cost far less than my last one. EXPENSIVE This car ________________ my last one. 239. It’s three years since Nick started boxing. FOR Nick ________________ three years. 240. John will have finished his work in a short while. LONG It won’t ________________ finished his work.
241. What’s the name of the man who had his nose broken in a fight? WHOSE What’s the name of the man ________________ in a fight? 242. I find it very difficult to believe anything he says. HAVE I ________________ anything he says. 243. For several years, I felt strange driving on the left. USED It took me several years ________________ on the left. 244. Excuse me, could you please tell me the time? WONDER Excuse me, ________________ tell me the time. 245. I think it was a very stupid thing for him to do. WHAT I think that ________________ very stupid. 246. He took the money – I saw him myself. OWN I saw him take the money ________________ eyes. 247. I don’t think we’ll finish this crossword. HOPE I don’t think there’s ________________ finishing this crossword. 248. Amy went to the doctor’s, although she didn’t really need to. GONE
Amy really ________________ the doctor’s. 249. ‘Stop running, Lucy!’ said her father. TOLD Lucy’s ________________ running. 250. This season our football team started well. GOT Our football team ________________ started this season. 251. I bet Harry was very upset not to have got a place at university. BEEN Harry didn’t get a place at university so he ________________ upset. 252. Holly doesn’t look well. I don’t think she should go to work. BETTER Holly ________________ work because she doesn’t look well. 253. ‘I didn’t hit your car deliberately!’ Emily said to the man. DENIED Emily ________________ car deliberately. 254. The man dived into the river and so was able to escape. MANAGED The man ________________ into the river. 255. It’s not true that Luke was staying in London last night – I had dinner with him at home. CAN’T I had dinner with Luke at home last night, so he ________________ in London.
256. Maria had to go away unexpectedly so they postponed the wedding for a month. OFF Maria had to go away unexpectedly so they ________________ for a month. 257. It isn’t worth asking Philip to tidy up. POINT There’s ________________ Philip to tidy up. 258. I suggest phoning your aunt before turning up at her house. YOU I suggest ________________ your aunt before turning up at her house. 259. When I tried to make changes to the school timetable, I was faced with a lot of opposition. AGAINST When I tried to make changes to the school timetable, I ________________ a lot of opposition. 260. Dr Brown was respected by his grandchildren who all wanted to be like him. UP Dr Brown’s grandchildren ________________ him and all wanted to be like him. 261. They had just started their walk when it began to pour with rain. SET They had just ________________ their walk when it began to pour with rain. 262. You’ll miss your plane if you don’t hurry up. UNLESS You’ll miss your plane ________________ up. 263. I really can’t bear to live near the railway line any longer.
PUT I really can’t ________________ near the railway line any longer. 264. Laura didn’t try to be friendly to us. MADE Laura ________________ be friendly to us. 265. The weatherman forecast that there would be sunshine all day. SHINE The weatherman said: ‘The ________________ all day.’ 266. ‘I haven’t heard from Helen for a long time,’ Paul said to me. TOLD Paul ________________ heard from Helen for a long time. 267. How about going to the top of the tower to look at the view? WE Why ________________ to the top of the tower to look at the view? 268. ‘Did you book a room with a balcony?’ I asked my mother. IF I asked my mother ________________ a room with a balcony. 269. Jack wanted to know what time they would leave the next day to catch the train. WE Jack asked: ‘What time ________________ to catch the train?’ 270. The little boy said he could dress himself without any help. I The little boy said: ‘________________ without any help.’
271. ‘Are we meeting David in the morning or the afternoon?’ Karen asked. WHETHER Karen wondered ________________ in the morning or the afternoon. 272. The students gave a concert after their exams. WAS A concert ________________ students after their exams. 273. The children played football and also went swimming. ADDITION The children played football ________________ swimming. 274. Jane’s neighbours looked after her flat while she was away. BY Jane’s ________________ her neighbours while she was away. 275. The assistant forgot to pass my message to the shop manager. NOT My message ________________ to the shop manager. 276. The teacher said Simon had cheated. ACCUSED Simon ________________ his teacher. 277. As children we would often make fires in the garden. USED When we were children we ________________ fires in the garden. 278. He had said he’d help us so we were disappointed when he didn’t come. PROMISED Having ________________ help, we were disappointed when he didn’t come.
279. My computer needs to be repaired before the weekend. HAVE I need ________________ before the weekend. 280. The tourist guide said to us: ‘Take a map if you go walking in the hills.’ ADVISED The tourist guide ________________ a map if we went walking in the hills. 281. My grandfather hasn’t spoken to me since Sunday. SPOKE My grandfather ________________ Sunday. 282. It is essential that all library books are returned by July 5th. BRING You ________________ all library books by July 5th. 283. You can only win if you enter the race. UNLESS You ________________ you enter the race. 284. Ethan gets top score even in the hardest computer games. WINS Ethan ________________ difficult computer games. 285. The hotel staff had permission to use the tennis courts on Mondays. PLAY The hotel staff were ________________ on Mondays. 286. Alison loves to buy presents for her grandchildren. PLEASURE
Alison ________________ presents for her grandchildren. 287. My boss advised me which computer I should buy. GAVE My boss ________________ choosing a computer. 288. Can you tell me precisely how much money was stolen? EXACT Can you tell me ________________ that was stolen? 289. The customs officer checked every garment in my luggage. ITEM The customs officer checked every ________________ in my luggage. 290. I can’t talk for long because I have to be at school very soon. ABOUT I can’t talk for long because I ________________ school. 291. We’ve been standing in this queue for an hour and we still have another hour to wait. WAITING By the time we get to the front of the queue we ________________ two hours. 292. Although Toby keeps his room tidy he seldom cleans it. EVER Toby keeps his room tidy ________________ cleans it. 293. This part of the building isn’t normally open to the public. OFTEN The public ________________ into this part of the building.
294. Noone was able to explain how the accident happened. NOT The cause of ________________ explained by anyone. 295. The only person to be late was Lucy. APART Everyone ________________ was on time. 296. Hurry up, the show will be starting in a moment. ABOUT Hurry up, the show ________________ start. 297. They decided not togo on holiday after all because the baby was ill. BABY’S Because ________________ they decided not to go on holiday after all. 298. Try not to make a mess while you’re cooking. AVOID Try ________________ a mess while you’re cooking. 299. ‘Will I be paid soon?’ asked Lynda. IF Lynda wondered ________________ paid soon. 300. I intended to have a lunch break, but I had too much to do. GOING I ________________ a lunch break, but I had too much to do. 301. May we borrow your ladder for half an hour? MIND Would you ________________ your ladder for half an hour?
302. ‘I’m not frightened,’ he said; in fact, he was terrified. BE He pretended ________________ frightened. 303. The Majestic is better than this hotel. GOOD This hotel ________________ the Majestic. 304. To ejoy travel, you must go on your own. ONLY You ________________ enjoy travelling if you go on your own. 305. You were very generous, giving us all that money. OF He was very generous ________________ us all that money. 306. He was sorry he had asked the bank to lend him money. WISHED He ________________ asked the bank to lend him the money. 307. I haven’t owned a car for five years now. SINCE It is five years ________________ a car. 308. Why didn’t you warn me it was going to rain? HAVE You ________________ me it was going to rain. 309. Heavy smokers are more likely to suffer serious illness than non-smokers. RUNS
A heavy smoker ________________ serious illness than a non-smoker. 310. Even though she knew she had to get up early, Mary still went to the disco. DESPITE Mary still went to the disco ________________ that she had to get up early. 311. The dog is wagging its tail because it is trying to be friendly. FRIENDS The dog is wagging its tail because it wants ________________ you. 312.It is a good habit to save in case of hard times. ASIDE It is a good habit to ________________ a rainy day. 313. My mother-in-law has invited us to share her house. MOVING We ________________ my mother-in-law. 314. His lack of interest surprised me. SURPRISING I ________________ that he showed so little interest. 315. I am sorry that I cannot come to the party. MISS I am sorry ________________ the party. 316. It is pointless to carry samovars to Samarkand. POINT There ________________ samovars to Samarkand. 317. The path was so narrow they had to walk one behind the another along it.
SINGLE The path was so narrow they had to walk ________________ along it. 318. Small children are full of mischief. SORTS Small children get ________________ tricks. 319. ‘Can you help me?’ the old lady asked. COULD The old lady asked ________________ help her. 320. When he was much older, he understood. UNTIL It ________________ much older that he understood. 321. Ken does not work half as much as he used to. HARD Ken used to work ________________ he does now. 322. The experts thought that the cost of petrol would rise next year. EXPECTED The cost of petrol ________________ next year. 323. Some people who start smoking find it difficult to stop. ALWAYS It ________________ to stop smoking once you have started. 324. If he isn’t careful, he is bound to end up in hospital. HIM His carelessness bound ________________ in hospital.
325. Because of his illness he could not work effectively. IMPOSSIBLE His illness ________________ him to work effectively. 326. Scotsman will never give anything to waiters. TIP No ________________ waiter. 327. Mary said, I do not want to get married yet.’ RATHER Mary protested that she ________________ married yet. 328. Mothers must try hard to understand. BEST Mothers must ________________ understanding. 329. The younger you marry, the greater the chance you will be unhappy. LIKELY The younger you marry, the ________________ be unhappy. 330. I was wrong to argue with him. MISTAKE ________________ to argue with him. 331. She had not bought so much for a long time. SINCE It was a long time ________________ much shopping. 332. Ken arrived there twelve months ago. FOR Ken ________________ year.
333. If Mary hadn’t failed her driving test, she wouldn’t be unhappy. PASS Mary is unhappy ________________ her driving test. 334. Rabbits used to be more numerous. NOT Rabbits ________________ they used to be. 335. His new book has been widely criticised. LOT His new book has come ________________ criticism. 336. His secretary updated the list. BROUGHT His secretary ________________ date. 337. I couldn’t have managed it without your help. NOT If ________________ your help, I couldn’t have managed it. 338. Regular exercise kept him healthy. OWED He ________________ regular exercise. 339. He couldn’t lend us the car because it didn’t belong to him. HIS The car ________________ lend. 340. We were not surprised when he won. CAME
His winning ________________ surprise. 341. It was difficult for the yachtsman to steer into the wind. GOT The ychtsman ________________ into the wind. 342. I couldn’t have managed without your help. BEEN If it ________________ your help, I couldn’t have managed. 343. We had just arrived when it started to rain. THAN Hardly ________________ it started to rain. 344. He only did the work after he had been paid. DID Not until he had been paid ________________ the work. 345. The idea that the Scots are miserly is simply not true. TRUTH There ________________ the idea that the Scots are miserly. 346. She was too busy to see us. SO She was ________________ see us. 347. It is quite pointless to complain. POINT There ________________ complaining. 348. I’ve never met anyone who works as hard as he does.
MAN He is the most ________________ met. 349. A long speech is unlikely to be interesting. LITTLE There ________________ a long speech being interesting. 350. It was difficult to bear the speaker from the back of the room. DIFFICULTY From the back of the room, we ________________ the speaker. 351. I don’t really want to go out. RATHER I ________________ home. 352. I did it entirely by myself. ALL I did it ________________ own. 353. You should not be so shy. SPEAK You should ________________ yourself. 354. He has been in hospital for six months. WENT It is six months ________________ hospital. 355. If only he had been taken to hospital sooner. PITY What ________________ taken to hospital earlier.
356. The doctors tried very hard to save him. BEST The doctors ________________ to save him. 357. She was surprised to find there was little she could do. SURPRISE She ________________ there was little she could do. 358. Only Holland permits the smoking of marijuana. PERMITTED The smoking of marijuana ________________ Holland. 359. The salesman said he was sorry he was late for the meeting. APOLOGISED The salesman ________________ late for the meeting. 360. Our decision has not yet been confirmed by head office. CONFIRMATION We haven’t ________________ head office. 361. Because it snowed heavily during the night the motorway is closed. DUE The motorway is closed ________________ that there was heavy snow the night before. 362. Did you manage to get in contact with the boss today? GETTING Did you ________________ in contact with the boss today? 363. I don’t care what you do. CONCERNED As ________________ you can do what you like.
364. The meal we had in the restaurant was so nice. SUCH It ________________ meal in the restaurant. 365. He was ordered to leave the field for arguing with the referee. SENT The referee ________________ for arguing. 366. Do you and your brother have the same looks? LIKE Does ________________ you? 367. That’s the garage where I left my car last week. REPAIRED That’s where I went ________________ last week. 368. You can’t bring food into this room. SUPPOSED You ________________ food into this room. 369. I want to go to university this year. INTERESTED I ________________ to university this year. 370. ‘Have you been on holiday recently, Jane?’ asked Tony. BEEN Tony asked Jane ________________ on holiday recently. 371. I was too tired to go to the party. THAT
I was ________________ I couldn’t go to the party. 372. There’s no point asking Lynda to help as she’s really busy. WASTE It’s ________________ asking Lynda to help as she’s really busy. 373. The union claims its members will only return to work if the company agrees to a meetings. NOT The union claims its members will ________________ the company agrees to a meeting. 374. I’m sure it was Ana I saw in town as I recognised her coat. MUST It ________________ Ana I saw in town as I recognised her coat. 375. We demanded to see the hotel manager to make our complaint. SEEKING We ________________ the hotel manager to make our complaint. 376. The boss wouldn’t object to you going early today. OBJECTION The boss would not ________________ you going early today. 377. ‘Why don’t you come over for dinner at the weekend?’ he asked her. SUGGESTED He ________________ for dinner at the weekend. 378. His boss won’t tolerate lateness. PUT His boss won’t ________________ lateness.
379. The school I studied at last year was better than this one. GOOD This school ________________ my last one. 380. Although the weather was terrible we had a good time. SPITE We had a good time ________________ the terrible weather. 381. Being rude is inexcusable. EXCUSE There is ________________ rude. 382. I find driving on the left in England very strange. ACUSTOMED I ________________ on the left in England. 383. I regret taking up smoking. WISH I ________________ up smoking. 384. The police are interviewing the suspects. INTERVIEWED The suspects ________________ by the police. 385. You must do exactly what the teacher tells you. CARRY You must ________________ instructions exactly. 386. It’s not worth inviting her to the party. She will never come. POINT There ________________ in inviting her to the party. She will never come.
387. They decided to advertise their house on the internet. PUT They decided ________________ their house on the internet. 388. If Patrick does not arrange some more lessons, he will never pass his driving test. DOES Patrick will never pass his driving test ________________ some more lessons. 389. Steve is interested in learning how to design web sites. LIKE Steve ________________ how to design web sites. 390. Due to the heavy rain, the children weren’t allowed to go outside at lunchtime. LET Due to the heavy rain, the teacher wouldn’t ________________ outside at lunchtime. 391. She had to finish her homework before she went out. UNTIL She had to stay in ________________ her homework. 392. So that Susan would be fit for the skiing, she went to the gym three times a week. ORDER Susan went to the gym three times a week ________________ fit for the skiing. 393. Jo had not expected the film to be so good. BETTER The film ________________ had expected. 394. Unfortunately, this television set has a mark on the screen. THERE
Unfortunately ________________ the screen of this television set. 395. ‘Do you know the way to the Italian restaurant?’ Julie asked Maria. WHERE Julie asked Maria ________________ the Italian restaurant was. 396. John never takes any notice of what his children say. ATTENTION John never ________________ what his children say. 397. The family went skiing a month ago. MONTH It ________________ the family went skiing. 398. The lecture was cancelled because the professor was ill. CALLED They ________________ because the professor was ill. 399. ‘Did you go to the tennis tournament on Saturday?’ David asked me. BEEN David wanted to know ________________ the tennis tournament on Saturday. 400. The car had almost stopped when it hit the wall. HARDLY The car ________________ when it hit the wall. 401. Despite having several broken bones, John was able to complete in the race. THOUGH John was able to complete in the race ________________ several broken bones. 402. My grandfather is one of the last people alive who fought in the war.
VERY Other than my grandfather there ________________ who faught in the war. 403. The car was too expensive for us to buy. NOT We would have bought that car ________________ so expensive. 404. ‘Don’t do that again, or you’ll be in trouble!’ said the teacher. WARNED The students ________________ do that again. 405. I can’t believe this is the best hotel in the city! HOTELS There must be ________________ one in the city. 406. Course fees must be paid in full before the course begins. ALL Students ________________ before the course begins. 407. I haven’t been to Oxford for at least ten years. WENT The last time ________________ at least ten years ago. 408. My parents are both the same age. AS My mother ________________ my father. 409. Learning French is a waste of time because the language is not widely spoken. POINT There’s ________________ because the language is not widely spoken.
410. I moved here 10 years ago. LIVED I ________________ for 10 years. 411. I’m not as old as my brother. THAN My brother ________________ me. 412. ‘Why don’t we go to the cinema?’ GOING Daniel ________________ to the cinema. 413. I regret not studying harder when I was at school. STUDIED I wish ________________ when I was at school. 414. Someone has killed the party leader in a car bomb attack. HAS The party leader ________________ in a car bomb attack. 415. It’s too cold to go to the beach today. WARM It’s ________________ to the beach today. 416. You won’t pass the exam unless you study harder. DON’T If ________________ you won’t pass the exam. 417. It took me two weeks to recover from the flu. OVER I needed ________________ the flu.
418. He crashed his car because he wasn’t paying attention. BEEN If he ________________ he wouldn’t have crashed his car. 419. The doctor suggested that I starting playing golf. UP The doctor suggested I ________________ golf. 420. What are your plans for the weekend? DO What ________________ at the weekend? 421. I haven’t visited my family since 2005. TIME The ________________ my family was in 2005. 422. ‘If I were you, I would study law at university.’ ADVISED He ________________ at university. 423. She complains all the time about the teacher. KEEPS She ________________ about the teacher. 424. What subject was your favourite subject at school? ENJOY What ________________ at school? 425. She wasn’t be allowed to come to the party. LET
Her parents ________________ the party. 426. Speaking English is still strange for me. USED I’m ________________ English. 427. I wasn’t able to understand much until I had studied for several years. BEFORE It was ________________ understand much. 428. When the test had finished I remembered the correct answers! REMEMBER I didn’t ________________ the test had finished. 429. She can’t have passed the exam – she’s useless at maths! FAILED She ________________ the exam – she’s useless at maths. 430. It was difficult for Sarah to learn to read in Japanese. DIFFICULTY Sarah ________________ to read in Japanese. 431. The police had to find out whose fingerprints they were. BELONGED The police had to find out ________________ to. 432. Many people say that there is a ghost in that house. SUPPOSED There ________________ a ghost in that house. 433. It might rain this afternoon so take an umbrella.
RAINS Take an umbrella ________________ this afternoon. 434. You look the same as you did when we last met ten years ago. CHANGED You have ________________ our last meeting ten years ago. 435. You don’t need to rewrite the composition. WAS It ________________ to rewrite the composition. 436. Toby said that I had taken his girlfriend. ACCUSED Toby ________________ his girlfriend. 437. ‘Does English bore you?’ the teacher asked Fredrick. IF The teacher asked Fredrick ________________ him. 438. It was the child’s grandfather who taught him to read music. WAS The child ________________ by his grandfather. 439. I regret not being able to speak French fluently. COULD I ________________ fluently. 440. Why are you interested in taking up a new hobby? WANT Why ________________ up a new hobby?
441. ‘Have you seen my gloves anywhere, Eric?’ asked Mrs Noble. SEEN Mrs Noble asked Eric ________________ her gloves anywhere. 442. Suzanne was too excited to sleep. THAT Suzanne was ________________ not sleep. 443. Robert has not had a job for two years. OUT Robert has ________________ for two years. 444. ‘I will complete the work only if you pay me 500 pounds extra.’ Said Frank. NOT ‘I will ________________ you pay me 500 pounds extra,’ said Frank. 445. The thief ran past you so I’m sure you saw his face. MUST The thief ran right past you so ________________ his face. 446. The clients demanded to stay in a first-class hotel. STAYING The clients ________________ in a first-class hotel. 447. I don’t object to the council building a new road here. OBJECTION I ________________ the council building a new road here. 448. The author wrote her latest novel while she was staying in Majorca. WAS The author’s latest novel ________________ stay in Majorca.
449. The newspaper offered Lynda 5,000 pounds for her story, but she refused. TURNED Lynda ________________ of 5,000 pounds from the newspaper for her story. 450. The Irish man was determined to pay for our drinks. INSISTED The Irish man ________________ for our drinks. 451. It’s forbidden to take pictures. NOT You ________________ pictures. 452. It isn’t necessary to feed the cats. I’ve already fed them. HAVE You ________________ the cats. 453. It’s prohibited to take pets into the museum. NOT You ________________ into the museum. 454. It isn’t necessary to change the sheets. I’ll do it tomorrow. NEED You ________________ the sheets. 455. Students aren’t allowed to leave the dormitory after 11 p.m. NOT Students ________________ after 11 p.m. 456. Kindergarten students needn’t wear school uniforms. HAVE
Kindergarten students ________________ school uniforms. 457. My brother is a better violinist than me. AS I don’t ________________ as my brother. 458. The exam wasn’t as easy as I had expected. MORE The exam ________________ I had expected. 459. Snakes don’t frighten me at all. AFRAID I ________________ snakes at all. 460. I hate it when I have to get up early. STAND I ________________ to get up early. 461. What was the name of the hotel you stayed in last year? WHERE What was the name of the hotel ________________ last year? 462. My mother’s health is improving slowly. BETTER My mother ________________ slowly. 463. When I was a child, we often walked to school. USED When I was a child, we ________________ to school. 464. He was nervous because he had hardly ever made a speech.
USED He was nervous because he ________________ speeches. 465. Emma has lent John her car for the weekend. EMMA’S John ________________ for the weekend. 466. This is Alice’s first day at her new school. JUST Alice ________________ at a new school. 467. What type of film do you like best? FAVOURITE What ________________ of film? 468. I do not want to be in that television programme. PART I do not want ________________ that television programme. 469. I started work here six years ago, and I’m still here. HAVE I ________________ six years. 470. I last saw her in May. NOT I ________________ May. 471. I haven’t got any bread left – I must go and buy some. RUN I ________________ bread – I must go and buy some.
472. I first met Jonathan in 2003. KNOWN I ________________ 2003. 473. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t friends with Rosie. AS I’ve been friends with Rosie for ________________ can remember. 474. I find films with lots of flashbacks very confusing. GET I ________________ films with lots of flashbacks. 475. They don’t know yet how many extras they will need in the film. WORKED They ________________ yet how many extras they will need in the film. 476. People climb mountains looking for adventure. SEARCH People climb mountains ________________ adventure. 477. Please don’t do anything dangerous when you are on the mountain. RISK Please don’t ________________ when you are on the mountain. 478. Which part of the climb frightened you more than the rest? MOST Which ________________ part of the climb for you? 479. I prefer skiing to doing any other sports. RATHER I’d ________________ any other sports.
480. Very few mountains in the world are as high as K2. THE K2 is ________________ mountains in the world. 481. I get embarrassed when I am praised. IT I find ________________ when people praise me. 482. My sister is too young to go hang-gliding on her own. NOT My sister is ________________ to go hang-gliding on her own. 483. I find sport less interesting than my brother does. IS My brother ________________ sport than I am. 484. Thousands of athletes run the London marathon every year. TAKE Thousands of athletes ________________ the London marathon every year. 485. I will always remember my time at university as a very happy period in my life. BACK I will always ________________ my time at university as a very happy period in my life. 486. What kind of weather is Brazil having at the moment/ LIKE What ________________ in Brazil at the moment? 487. I really dislike people who think they are better than everyone else. LOOK
I really dislike people who ________________ everyone else. 488. Do you want to go for a walk? FEEL Do you ________________ for a walk? 489. His teacher has a very high opinion of his abilities. THINKS His teacher ________________ of his abilities. 490. He never discovered who had written the letter. OUT He didn’t ________________ who had written the letter. 491. Maria hadn’t finished working by ten o’clock. STILL Maria ________________ ten o’clock. 492. Don’t drive so fast: this road is dangerous. MORE Please drive ________________ on this road, as it’s dangerous. 493. The police are investigating what caused the accident. INTO The police ________________ the cause of the accident. 494. The boot of my car is very small. NOT There is ________________ in the boot of my car. 495. Susan is always reliable.
RELY I know I ________________ Susan. 496. This Friday will be the end of my sixth week here. HAVE By Friday I ________________ for six weeks. 497. Jamie started to cook when he was a child. SINCE Jamie ________________ he was a child. 498. Our house is built of stone. BUILD They used ________________ our house. 499. There weren’t many people at the concert. ONLY There ________________ people at the concert. 500. I want to maintain contact with all my school friends. TOUCH I want to ________________ all my school friends. 501. I think that chocolate may be one of my allergies. TO I think that I ________________ chocolate. 502. I love eating sweets, although they are bad for my teeth. SPITE I love eating sweets, ________________ that they are bad for my teeth.
503. They reduced the price of the jacket because it was torn. DISCOUNT I ________________ the jacket because it was torn. 504. ‘Will you lend me the car, Dad?’ asked Jules. BORROW Jules asked his father ________________ the car. 505. ‘I’m sorry I’m late,’ said Peter. APOLOGISED Peter ________________ late. 506. Karen is the most helpful person I know. AS No one else I know ________________ Karen. 507. ‘I’m not going to tell you the answer!’ he told me. REFUSED He ________________ the answer. 508. They said they found his attitude very upsetting. BEEN They said they ________________ his attitude. 509. ‘It’s the best chocolate in the world,’ said the sponsor. CLAIMED The sponsor ________________ the best chocolate in the world. 510. ‘Don’t open your present until you get home,’ Jorge told Peter. NOT Jorge told Peter ________________ until he got home.
511. I’d like to visit Africa. APPEALS The idea of ________________ me. 512. John wasn’t sure whether he could come to the party. MIGHT John thought he ________________ come to the party. 513. Jon found the story of the explorer totally absorbing. BY Jon ________________ the story of the explorer. 514. Could I speak to you quickly, please? WORD Could I ________________ you, please? 515. Julia was quick to solve the problem. DEALT The problem ________________ by Julia. 516. We arrived at the station just before the train left, so we caught it. TIME We arrived at the station ________________ the train. 517. I think it is possible that she is telling the truth to us. MAY I think that ________________ the truth. 518. There’s no chance that it was Sue who phoned last night. HAVE
It ________________ Sue who phoned last night. 519. Can I contact you by phone at the weekend? POSSIBLE Is ________________ contact you by phone at the weekend? 520. I’ve got to present the new project to the management next week. GIVE I’ve got to ________________ the new project to the management next week. 521. What do you think about nature programmes on television? OPINION What’s ________________ nature programmes on television? 522. I want to go to Japan, but I don’t have enough money. HAD If I ________________ go to Japan. 523. My sister is always teasing me about the clothes I wear. FUN My sister is always ________________ the clothes I wear. 524. What’s your job at the moment? DO What do ________________ living at the moment? 525. In the event of rain, we will cancel the game. IT If ________________ be cancelled. 526. If you don’t try harder, you won’t know if you can do it.
UNLESS You won’t know if you can do it ________________ harder. 527. Alexander the Great started the famous library in Alexandria. FOUNDED The famous library in Alexandria ________________ Alexander the Great. 528. I drive to work because there’s no bus. WAS I wouldn’t drive to work ________________ bus. 529. You missed the train because you overslept. CAUGHT If you hadn’t overslept, ________________ the train. 530. It was a mistake buying that expensive car. ONLY If ________________ that expensive car. 531. He interrupts me all the time. KEEPS He ________________ all the time. 532. I’d love to be able to speak Chinese. COULD I ________________ Chinese. 533. You really ought to get a new car – yours is so old! HIGH It’s ________________ a new car – yours is so old!
534. Mary is completely dependable. ALWAYS I ________________ Mary. 535. I regret losing my favourite pair of gloves. WISH I ________________ my favourite pair of gloves. 536. It would be better for me if you could come to visit me next weekend. RATHER I’d ________________ visit me next weekend. 537. They got married a year ago. TOOK Their wedding ________________ year. 538. I think you look tired. Shall we go home now? IF You look ________________. Shall we go home now? 539. The food was so good we had to leave a tip. SUCH It ________________ we had to leave a tip. 540. The computer was too expensive for me to buy. ENOUGH I ________________ money to buy the computer. 541. It’s the most beautiful painting I’ve ever seen. SEEN I ________________ beautiful painting.
542. This summer has been much cooler than last year. COOL Last summer ________________ this year. 543. I’m not as good at maths as you. BETTER You ________________ me. 544. The course wasn’t as easy as I’d expected. MORE The course ________________ I’d expected. 545. This car isn’t enough safe to drive. DANGEROUS This car ________________ drive. 546. This exercise is easier than the last one. HARD This exercise ________________ the last one. 547. The price of food seems to have increased recently. GONE The price of food ________________ recently. 548. When I was a child I lived by the sea, but now I live in the city. TO When I was a child ________________ by the sea, but now I live in the city. 549. I don’t find it difficult to get up early every morning now. USED
I have ________________ early every morning now. 550. All the old clothes were in Maria’s wardrobe. CONTAINED It was ________________ all the old clothes. 551. When he lived in Cambridge, Giorgio cycled everywhere. WOULD When Giorgio lived in Cambridge, ________________ everywhere. 552. ‘Kazuo, would you please make the living room tidy?’ asked Sue. UP Sue asked Kazuo ________________ the living room. 553. People choose to work in different ways in different places. ACCORDING People choose to work in different ways ________________ are. 554. What is your favourite thing in your room? MOST What ________________ in your room? 555. Since I found out the truth, I have changed my opinion of him. MIND Since I found out the truth, I ________________ him. 556. He understands new things really quickly. CATCHES He ________________ new things really quickly. 557. You were wrong to tell the other students about their results.
SHOULD You ________________ the other students about their results. 558. Smoking is now prohibited in many restaurants. ALLOWED You ________________ in many restaurants now. 559. Is it necessary to join the club if I want to play tennis there? TO Do I ________________ if I want to play tennis there? 560. You should do at least two hours’ homework every night. SUPPOSED You are ________________ less than two hours’ homework every night. 561. She finds learning new languages really easy. PICK She finds it really easy ________________ new languages. 562. I don’t think it’s worth waiting for him: he’s always late. POINT I don’t think ________________ in waiting for him: he’s always late. 563. You should continue these exercise until your leg is better. DOING You shouldn’t ________________ until your leg is better. 564. Admission to the museum is free. CHARGE There is ________________ admission to the museum.
565. He was lucky at first, but his luck soon changed. RAN His luck ________________ he was lucky at first. 566. I’ll finish the report if they give me enough time to do it. LONG I’ll finish the report ________________ give me enough time to do it. 567. I found the job rather boring, but at least it paid well. EVEN At least the job paid well, ________________ rather boring. 568. Peter was the best organiser of events in the office. COULD Peter ________________ anyone else in the office. 569. Carlos knew how to drive by the time he was eighteen. ABLE Carlos ________________ by the time he was eighteen. 570. I don’t know how to type, but it would be useful if I could. ONLY If ________________ type, it would be useful. 571. Nick became famous as a writer very quickly. TAKE It didn’t ________________ become famous as a writer. 572. It seems as though a lot of couples get divorced nowadays. DOWN A lot of marriages ________________ nowadays.
573. In my job I get free car parking in the city. PAY In my job I don’t ________________ car parking in the city. 574. The burglar entered the house at night. BROKE The burglar ________________ at night. 575. The police gave him the information. WAS He ________________ the police. 576. ‘It was Andy who took the pen!’ said Helen. ACCUSED Helen ________________ the pen. 577. People think he is living in London now. THOUGHT He ________________ in London now. 578. I need someone to check these reports before I send them out. GET I need ________________ before I send them out. 579. After the verdict, the judge ordered the man to go to prison for three years. SENTENCED After the verdict, the judge ________________ three years in prison. 580. Nobody noticed her slip into the room. WITHOUT
She slipped into the room ________________ anyone. 581. It takes some people longer to recover from an illness than others. OVER Some people take ________________ an illness than others. 582. People say the museum is very good. SAID The museum ________________ very good. 583. I love being outside in the rain. ENJOY What ________________ outside in the rain. 584. Because I was enjoying the trip a lot, I didn’t want it to end. MUCH I was enjoying the trip ________________ that I didn’t want it to end. 585. I have more work than I can manage at the moment. SNOWED I am ________________ work at the moment. 586. I think I’m too impatient to be a wildlife photographer. PATIENT I don’t think ________________ to be a wildlife photographer. 587. The wind was so strong that we could not stand against it. SUCH It was ________________ that we could not stand against it. 588. I couldn’t understand the documentary because it was too technical.
FOR The documentary was ________________ understand. 589. It’s interesting that hurricanes are often given the name of a man or woman. THEY What is interesting about hurricanes ________________ are often given the name of a man or woman. 590. We have to solve this problem in the near future. SOLUTION We have to ________________ this problem in the near future. 591. Carla had far fewer friends when she lived in New Yourk than she does now. LOT Carla ________________ now than when she lived in New Yourk. 592. Eating a heavy meal before a long journey is not advised. WISE It is ________________ a heavy meal before a long journey. 593. Jaime said to me, ‘I don’t think you should go out. It’s very cold.’ ADVISED Jaime ________________ out because it was so cold. 594. The discussion raised many new issues. BROUGHT Many new issues ________________ in the discussion. 595. Skiers are reminded that they must take care on the slopes at all times. REMEMBER Skiers must ________________ on the slopes at all times.
596. Guests should leave their keys at reception whenever they leave the hotel. RECOMMENDED Guests ________________ their keys at reception whenever they leave the hotel. 597. The storm last night was unexpected. BLEW The storm ________________ last night. 598. He forgot to take any money with him, and he left his passport behind as well. ADDITION He forgot to take any money with him ________________ his passport behind. 599. Peter didn’t enjoy travelling, but Chloe did. UNLIKE Chloe ________________ Peter. 600. The moment she finished her education, she left home. SOON She ________________ she had finished her education. 601. ‘Would you like to come for dinner at our house?’ asked Ruth. INVITED Ruth ________________ come for dinner at their house. 602. Ivan didn’t find it difficult to give up smoking. DIFFICULTY Ivan ________________ smoking. 603. Stefania’s suggestions are always useful. SOMEONE
Stefania ________________ are always useful. 604. The witness described the assassin in detail. DESCRIPTION The witness ________________ of the assassin. 605. It’s a pity we didn’t see Athens when we visited Greece. COULD If only ________________ when we visited Greece. 606. A very interesting guide told us about the exhibits. WERE We ________________ by a very interesting guide. 607. The test was too difficult for the students to pass. SO The test ________________ that the students couldn’t pass it. 608. The mechanic in the town centre repaired my father’s car. HAD My father ________________ the mechanic in the town centre. 609. I only passed the exam because the teacher helped me. NOT If the teacher had ________________ not have passed the exam. 610. People say that cats have nine lives. SAID Cats ________________ nine lives. 611. The school has postponed the trip to London until next week.
OFF The school trip to London ________________ until next week. 612. Meri accidentaly crashed her father’s car. MEAN Meri did ________________ her father’s car. 613. It was wrong of you to copy the homework from your friend. COPIED You should ________________ the homework from your friend. 614. You may not find it easy to understand phrasal verbs. MIGHT It ________________ for you to understand phrasal verbs. 615. The best surgeon in town did Paolo’s operation. HAD Paolo ________________ the best surgeon in town. 616. In my opinion you’ll be a fantastic teacher! NO I ________________ you’ll be a fantastic teacher. 617. I last visited London 7 years ago. NOT I have ________________ seven years. 618. ‘I’ll be home by midnight, ‘said Isadora. GET Isadora promised she ________________ midnight.
619. Teachers from the British Council started this school. SET This school ________________ teachers from the British Council. 620. Chiara spent years trying to pass the First Certificate exam. TOOK It ________________ the First Certificate exam. 621. I met Peter ten years ago. KNOWN I ________________ ten years. 622. I haven’t seen a film since July. LAST I ________________ in July. 623. It’s been months since I have seen a good movie on TV. TIME The last ________________ a good movie on TV was months ago. 624. We bought a DVD player when Nicholas got his new job. UNTIL We didn’t ________________ Nicholas got his new job. 625. This is the first time I have been to the cinema on my own. NEVER I ________________ the cinema on my own before. 626. I’ve worn my hair like this for as long as I can remember. STARTED I can’t remember ________________ wearing my hair like this.
627. I haven’t been to Rome before. FIRST This is ________________ been to Rome. 628. I get very embarrased when people find out that I used to be on television. IT I think ________________ when people find out that I used to be on television. 629. Nothing irritates me more than email advertising. MORE There is nothing ________________ than email advertising. 630. She thinks it’s insulting when people won’t take her advice. FEELS She ________________ by people not taking her advice. 631. The match was so thrilling that the crowd wouldn’t stop cheering. WERE The crowd ________________ the match that they wouldn’t stop cheering. 632. Her nerves were soothed by the gentle music. WAS The gentle music ________________ for her nerves. 633. The idea of flying can be frightening for some people. ARE A lot of people ________________ the idea of flying. 634. I haven’t received any news from Pedro since the end of July. HEARD
I ________________ Pedro since the end of July. 635. We decided to spend the afternoon exploring the shops. LOOKING We decided to spend the afternoon ________________ the shops. 636. I haven’t had a chance to examine the documents for the meeting yet. LOOK I haven’t had a chance ________________ the documents for the meeting yet. 637. I got the information about the scholarship through a friend of mine. HEARD I ________________ the scholarship from a friend of mine. 638. I will always remember that year as a very happy one. LOOK I will always ________________ that year as a very happy one. 639. I don’t understand why he couldn’t recognize the truth about her. SEE I don’t understand why he couldn’t ________________ her. 640. I shouted at him to be careful but he still ran across the road without looking. OUT I shouted at him to ________________ but he still ran across the road without looking. 641. The doctor told me the injection would not hurt very much at all. HARDLY The doctor told me the injection ________________ at all. 642. I think the concert will probably not take place.
HIGHLY I think it’s ________________ the concert will take place. 643. Make sure you wear clothes that don’t restrict your movements. ALLOW Make sure you wear clothes that ________________ freely. 644. You don’t have to pay to go into that museum. GET You can ________________ free. 645. People who make more effort usually do better than others. TRY People who ________________ usually do better than others. 646. I thought his behaviour was very silly. BEHAVED I thought he ________________ way. 647. He didn’t stop on the way home. STRAIGHT He ________________ home. 648. The meal in the restaurant may have been extremely expensive but it was really delicious. LEG The meal in the restaurant may have cost ________________ but it was really delicious. 649. Would you mind helping me move this sofa? HAND Would you mind ________________ this sofa?
650. I’m involved in a lot of projects at the moment. FINGER I’ve ________________ a lot of pies at the moment. 651. When I needed someone to talk to about my problems, Bill was always there. SHOULDER When I needed ________________, Bill was always there. 652. Since I met Mark, I haven’t looked at other boys. EYES Since I met him, I ________________ Mark. 653. He was playing so well it seemed as if he couldn’t make a mistake. FOOT He was playing so well it seemed he couldn’t ________________ wrong. 654. ‘Do you want to come over and watch a movie?’ she asked. IF She asked me ________________ to come over and watch a movie. 655. ‘Where do you buy most of your clothes?’ she asked. KNOW She wanted to ________________ most of my clothes. 656. ‘Can I borrow your leather jacket?’ he asked. IF He asked me ________________ my leather jacket. 657. ‘I have to get a new laptop tomorrow,’ she said. THAT
She said ________________ a new laptop the next day. 658. ‘I won’t be here next week,’ she explained. THERE She explained that she ________________ the following week. 659. ‘We’re going to paint the living room yellow,’ she announced. THAT She announced ________________ to paint the living room yellow. 660. ‘I haven’t ever been on a plane before,’ she said. NEVER She explained that ________________ on a plane before. 661. ‘Who did you see at the party?’ he asked. KNOW He wanted to ________________ at the party. 662. ‘Were you living in London when you met Celia?’ she asked. IF She asked him ________________ in London when he met Celia. 663. ‘You should get more sleep,’ the doctor told me. ADVISED The doctor ________________ more sleep. 664. ‘Eating more fruit is good for you too,’ she said. RECOMMENDED She ________________ more fruit. 665. ‘Why don’t you come for a coffee?’ Nigel said to me.
INVITED Nigel ________________ for a coffee. 666. ‘I wasn’t anywhere near the bank that day,’ he said. DENIED He ________________ anywhere near the bank that day. 667. ‘I won’t be able to finish the assignment,’ she said. EXPLAINED She ________________ be able to finish the assignment. 668. ‘I am not going to let you in,’ she told him. REFUSED She ________________ in. 669. ‘You won the match. Well done!’ the coach said to them. CONGRATULATED The coach ________________ the match. 670. ‘If you don’t turn that down, I’ll call the police,’ said the man downstairs. THREATENED The man downstairs ________________ the police if we didn’t turn the music down. 671. ‘Don’t walk around alone after dark. It’s dangerous,’ the teacher told us. WARNED The teacher ________________ around alone after dark. 672. Without the right equipment, I’m sure I can’t do the job. UNLESS I’m sure I can’t do the job ________________ the right equipment.
673. In the event of fire, do not use the lift. THERE Do not use the lift ________________ a fire. 674. With more time, I would have been able to finish the assignment. HAD I would have been able to finish the assignment ________________ more time. 675. If we don’t buy a sofa-bed, there won’t be anywhere for Johanna to sleep. UNLESS There won’t be anywhere for Johanna to sleep ________________ a sofa-bed. 676. I live in London because it is one of the most exciting cities in the world. WAS I wouldn’t live in London ________________ one of the most exciting cities in the world. 677. I’m sorry I didn’t see that film. WISH I ________________ that film. 678. I really regret inviting him to the party. ONLY If ________________ him to the party. 679. It really annoys me the way she does that. WISH I ________________ that. 680. It was a real mistake not to revise for the exam. ONLY
If ________________ for the exam. 681. I wish I could rollerskate. ABLE I would be happy if ________________ to rollerskate. 682. She sometimes wishes she had never left Australia. REGRETS She sometimes ________________ Australia. 683. You should go to bed now. TIME It’s ________________ to bed. 684. I’d prefer you to give me some money for my birthday. RATHER I’d ________________ me some money for my birthday. 685. You might not think it’s risky but what if someone saw you do it. SUPPOSE You might not think it’s risky but ________________ you do it. 686. A lot of people really admire the president of our country. LOOK A lot of people really ________________ the president of our country. 687. I’ve had a few problems at work but things are improving now. UP I’ve had a few problems at work but things are ________________ now. 688. The price of petrol has increased a lot lately.
GONE The price of petrol has ________________ a lot lately. 689. You’ve hung that picture upside down. WAY You’ve hung that picture ________________ up. 690. It’s your decision whether you take the job or not. UP It’s ________________ whether you take the job or not. 691. The doctor told me I would be able to get up and walk around tomorrow. ABOUT The doctor told me I would be ________________ tomorrow. 692. Club members can bring guests to the club on Thursday. PERMITTED Club members ________________ guests to the club on Thursday. 693. Could you tell me if I have to bring a sleeping bag? NECESSARY Could you tell me if ________________ me to bring a sleeping bag. 694. You can’t use a personal stereo on a plane. ALLOWED You ________________ a personal stereo on a plane. 695. We asked if we could move to a quieter room . POSSIBLE We asked if it ________________ move to a quieter room.
696. He had to give the money back. OBLIGED He ________________ give the money back. 697. You mustn’t wear dark-soled shoes in the gym. SUPPOSED You ________________ dark-soled shoes in the gym. 698. They made me admit that I was wrong. FORCED I ________________ that I was wrong. 699. I wanted to go out with my boyfriend, but my parents said I couldn’t. LET My parents wouldn’t ________________ with my boyfriend. 700. My parents insisted I study the piano. MADE I was ________________ the piano by my parents. 701. If no one else applies, you can have the job. PROVIDED You can have the job ________________ applies. 702. If it isn’t too hot, we’ll go for a walk in the mountains. UNLESS We’ll go for a walk in the mountains ________________ too hot. 703. I found the film rather frightening but I’m glad I saw it. EVEN I’m glad I saw the film ________________ by it.
704. We’ll place an order so long as you give us a discount. CONDITION We’ll place an order ________________ you give us a discount. 705. If you don’t put that money in a safe place, you might lose it. CASE You should put that money in a safe place ________________ it. 706. I’ll buy that jacket if they have it in my size. LONG I’ll buy that jacket ________________ it in my size. 707. They gave him a free meal after he complained about the long delay. WAS After he complained about the long delay ________________ a free meal. 708. Our dog loves it when you take him for a walk. TAKEN Our dog ________________ for a walk. 709. I was thrilled that they chose me to play the part. TO I was thrilled ________________ play the part. 710. They made me feel extremely welcome. MADE I ________________ extremely welcome. 711. People knew she was an expert. KNOWN
She ________________ an expert. 712. The cat dislikes it when children pat him. PATTED The cat ________________ by children. 713. He was angry when someone told him to turn the music down. ABOUT He was angry ________________ to turn the music down. 714. He hoped they would let him take the test again. ALLOWED He hoped he ________________ take the test again. 715. People say the castle is over eight hundred years old. SAID The castle ________________ over eight hundred years old. 716. Our house needs painting. MUST We ________________ painted. 717. Someone stole their television when they left their front door unlocked. HAD They ________________ when they left their front door unlocked. 718. My friend gets a manicurist to paint her nails for her. HAS My friend ________________ by a manicurist. 719. A friend checked the car for me before I bought it.
HAD Before I bought it, I ________________ a friend. 720. Did the storm break those windows? GET Did those windows ________________ the storm? 721. They cut off the king’s head. HAD The king ________________ off. 722. I have too much work to do at the moment. SNOWED I ________________ work at the moment. 723. The doctor told me I would be perfectly all right in the morning. RAIN The doctor told me I would be ________________ in the morning. 724. We were all crying by the end of the movie. FLOODS We were all in ________________ by the end of the movie. 725. I have no problems at all at the moment. CLOUD There isn’t ________________ for me at the moment. 726. Many people disagreed strongly with the new law. STORM There was ________________ about the new law.
727. To make progress in life you have to make plans. GET To ________________ in life you have to make plans. 728. He never abandoned hope of meeting another girl like Sophie. GAVE He ________________ hope of meeting another girl like Sophie. 729. Unexpected problems can arise even if you are well-prepared. COME Unexpected problems can ________________ even if you are well-prepared. 730. He found it difficult to accept his own limitations. FACE He found it difficult to ________________ his own limitations. 731. Susan always knows how to do what is necessary in a difficult situation. DEAL Susan always knows how to ________________ a difficult situation. 732. We found a very cheap and pleasant hotel completely by chance. CAME We ________________ a very cheap and pleasant hotel completely by chance. 733. It’s a good idea to discuss your ideas with someone older. THROUGH It’s good idea to ________________ your ideas with someone older. 734. This coffee is too hot to drink. NOT This coffee ________________ drink.
735. I have never seen such an exciting film before. FIRST It’s the ________________ seen such an exciting film. 736. ‘Where do you work, Sue?’ asked Pete. KNOW Pete wanted ________________ now. 737. It’s very easy to maintain contact with friends nowadays. TOUCH It’s very easy ________________ with friends nowadays. 738. I live in New Yourk because it is a very exciting place. IF I wouldn’t live in New Yourk ________________ a very exciting place. 739. It was a mistake not to buy a better car. ONLY If ________________ a better car. 740. They had to cancel the game because of the rain. OFF The game ________________ because of the rain. 741. I wish I could speak Italian. LOVE I would ________________ speak Italian. 742. You have to decide whether to accept the job. UP
It’s ________________ accept the job. 743. Could you take care of our cat while we are on holiday? AFTER Would you mind ________________ our cat while we are on holiday? 744. My father lived in the country throughout his childhood. BROUGHT My father ________________ in the country. 745. Their daughter is an adult now. HAS Their daughter ________________ up now. 746. I have a good relationship with my two younger sisters. WELL I ________________ my two younger sisters. 747. The teacher was angry with us for being late. OFF The teacher ________________ for being late. 748. He is very like his father in character and appearance. TAKES He ________________ his father in character and appearance. 749. He had always admired his Aunt Sandra. LOOKED He had always ________________ his Aunt Sandra. 750. I’m sure the twins will be doing something naughty while we’re out.
GETTING I’m sure the twins will be ________________ something while we’re out. 751. The photocopier broke down three days ago. ORDER The photocopier ________________ for three days. 752. Nobody in our class is as good at basketball as I am. PLAYER I am ________________ in our class. 753. My older brother is a social worker in one of the big hospitals. WORKS My older brother ________________ in one of the big hospitals. 754. My friends left before I arrived at the meeting point. WHEN My friends ________________ at the meeting point. 755. ‘Alright, I stole the money. I admit it,’ she said. THAT She admitted ________________ the money. 756. Susan plays the piano better than Jacky. AS Jacky doesn’t play ________________ Susan. 757. Badminton and tennis are similar in some ways. LIKE Badminton ________________ in some way.
758. ‘Would you like to stay for dinner?’ she asked. INVITED She ________________ for dinner. 759. The Nigerian beat the Moroccan by 2.5 seconds. FASTER The Nigerian ran ________________ the Moroccan. 760. ‘What’s the time?’ he asked. TELL He asked me ________________ the time. 761. Are you saying I’m lying? ACCUSING Are you ________________ lying? 762. I’ll send you a postcard from Greece.’ He said. PROMISED He ________________ a postcard from Greece. 763. Could you possibly help me with this box? MIND Would ________________ with this box? 764. ‘I won’t speak to Tom,’ she said. REFUSED She ________________ to Tom. 765. ‘I have never seen the woman before,’ he said. DENIED He ________________ the woman before.
766. ‘Yes, I think we should invite Sue to the party too,’ she said. AGREED She ________________ invite Sue to the party. 767. Have you thought about getting a holiday job this summer? CONSIDERED Have you ________________ a holiday job this summer? 768. ‘We’ll look after your cat while you’re away if you like,’ he said. OFFERED He ________________ our cat while we were away. 769. You shouldn’t give them the impression you don’t want the job. AVOID You should ________________ them the impression you don’t want the job. 770. ‘OK. I’ve been going out with another girl,’ he said. ADMITTED He ________________ out with another girl. 771. I am fairly sure I will pass all my exams this year. EXPECT I ________________ all my exams this year. 772. Flying frightens many people. AFRAID Many people ________________ flying. 773. It’s very rare for me to go to the cinema. HARDLY
I ________________ the cinema. 774. Jim has done more work than you. AS You haven’t done ________________ Jim. 775. I had imagined there were going to be many more people. FAR There were ________________ I had imagined. 776. He is similar in appearance to his father. LIKE He ________________ his father. 777. I was advised to start swimming by my doctor. TAKE My doctor advised me ________________ swimming. 778. ‘I’m sure you stole that money,’ he said. ACCUSED He ________________ the money. 779. I thought it would be a good idea if I went home. OUGHT I thought ________________ home. 780. I came to live here in 1984. SINCE I ________________ 1984. 781. The teacher distributed the examination papers.
OUT The teacher ________________ the examination papers. 782. John found it difficult to adjust to his new school. USED John couldn’t ________________ his new school. 783. My brother is too young to drive a car. NOT My brother ________________ drive a car. 784. I tried as hard as I could, but I still didn’t pass. BEST I ________________, but I still didn’t pass. 785. My parents met in 1970. SINCE My parents ________________ 1970. 786. I don’t share your opinion about military service. AGREE I ________________ you about military service. 787. He has too much free time since he retired. HANDS He has too much ________________ since he retired. 788. Driving on the left will always feel strange to me. GET I don’t think I will ever ________________ on the left.
789. Can you calculate the answers to these sums? WORK Can you ________________ the answers to these sums? 790. She said she wouldn’t tell anyone about what happened. NOT She promised ________________ anyone about what happened. 791. The operator had trouble connecting me to the sales department. THROUGH The operator had trouble ________________ to the sales department. 792. I lived in London as a child, but I don’t anymore. USED I ________________ in London as a child. 793. Could you possibly share your book with me? MIND Would you ________________ your book with me? 794. It wasn’t a very good idea for you to sit in the sun for so long. SHOULD You ________________ in the sun for so long. 795. I’m sure he hasn’t gone far because the car is still here. CAN He ________________ far because the car is still here. 796. I think it was possibly the cat which scratched the table. MIGHT The cat ________________ the table.
797. She was definitely here earlier because she’s left her umbrella. MUST She ________________ here earlier because she’s left her umbrella. 798. Buying that car was a real mistake. SHOULD We ________________ that car. 799. There’s a chance that he phoned, but I haven’t been in. COULD He ________________, but I haven’t been in. 800. There’s absolutely no chance that she took the money. I’ve been with her all the time. CAN She ________________ the money. I’ve been with her all the time. 801. I’m sure she’s gone to play tennis. She’s taken her racket. MUST She ________________ to play tennis. She’s taken her racket. 802. It’s very important for me to write to my brother. MUST I ________________ to my brother. 803. It wasn’t necessary for them to cook so much food. NEED They ________________ cooked so much food. 804. They were forced to do their homework before they went out.
HAD They ________________ their homework before they want out. 805. It is not permitted to take photographs in here. CAN You ________________ in here. 806. There was no need for you to come. HAVE You ________________ come. 807. You shouldn’t talk while the teacher is speaking. SUPPOSED You ________________ talk while the teacher is speaking. 808. It’s necessary for me to work late tonight. GOT I ________________ work late tonight. 809. No one expected you to wait for them. NEED You ________________ to wait for them. 810. I didn’t know he was going to the party so I stayed in. NEVER I ________________ in if I had known he was going to the party. 811. My father advised me not to marry you but I wouldn’t listen to him. TAKEN I wouldn’t have married you ________________ my father’s advice.
812. Mike stole the money and went to prison as a result. NOT Mike ________________ to prison if he hadn’t stolen the money. 813. With more effort you could have won the match. HARDER If ________________ you could have won the match. 814. Rain or very cold weather are the only things that will stop us having a barbecue. UNLESS We’ll have a barbecue ________________ or is very cold. 815. With fluent English you can apply for lots of jobs. FLUENTLY If ________________ you can apply for lots of jobs. 816. The boiling point of water is 100° C. IF Water ________________ heat it to 100° C. 817. Winning the lottery would be an extraordinary experience. IF I don’t know what I would do ________________ the lottery. 818. She was very rude to me so I decided not to lend her my car. MIGHT I ________________ my car if she hadn’t been so rude to me. 819. I didn’t do my homework so it isn’t getting wet in the rain. WOULD My homework ________________ wet in the rain if I had done it.
820. I wish I could windsurf. LOVE I would ________________ windsurf. 821. It was a real mistake telling Nigel how I felt about him. ONLY If ________________ Nigel how I felt about him. 822. You children are supposed to be in bed by nine o’clock. TIME It’s ________________ in bed. 823. I wouldn’t like you to mention this to anyone else. RATHER I’d ________________ mention this to anyone else. 824. I wish I had learnt a foreign language when I was younger. REGRET I ________________ a foreign language when I was younger. 825. What would happen if someone had seen you with her? SUPPOSE Just ________________ with her. 826. It really annoys me the way you keep tapping your fingers on the desk. WISH I ________________ your fingers on the desk like that. 827. My grandmother gets the hairdresser to wash her hair for her. HAS
My grandmother ________________ by the hairdresser. 828. Someone stole their car while they were at the beach. HAD They ________________ while they were at the beach. 829. Our house needs painting. MUST We ________________ painted. 830. I wasn’t allowed to stay out after midnight when I was younger. LET My parents ________________ out after midnight when I was younger. 831. It took her a long time to recover from her illness. OVER It took her a long time ________________ her illness. 832. I regret saying that to him. WISH I ________________ that to him. 833. I’m sure that wasn’t Tony we saw. He’s in London. CAN’T It ________________ Tony we saw. He’s in London. 834. It is important that I post this letter tonight. NEED I ________________ this letter tonight. 835. I’m sure the children have been doing something terrible while we’ve been out.
UP I’m sure the children ________________ something terrible while we’ve been out. 836. The mechanic checked the tyres on my car. HAD I ________________ on my car. 837. I think you should go to bed now. TIME It’s ________________ to bed. 838. It was difficult for me to read the number plate in the fog. MAKE I couldn’t ________________ the number plate in the fog. 839. Please don’t tell Andrew about our conversation. RATHER I’d ________________ Andrew about our conversation. 840. Unless you start studying now, it’s possible that you will fall the exam. COULD You ________________ you start studying now. 841. I don’t know who the winner of the competition is. HAS I don’t know who ________________ the competition. 842. I’m afraid I’ve lost the tickets. FIND I’m afraid ________________ the tickets.
843. She planted some flowers in the garden, but they are nearly all dead now. HAVE The flowers she planted in the garden ________________ now. 844. I was talking to her mother a moment ago. BEEN I ________________ to her mother. 845. It’s been three years since I started to work here. WORKING I ________________ three years. 846. It is Miranda’s first visit to Scotland. NEVER Miranda ________________ to Scotland before. 847. It’s over a year since I last saw him. SEEN I ________________ over a year. 848. They don’t know what the problem is. FOUND They ________________ what the problem is. 849. She hasn’t got any money left. RUN She ________________ money. 850. Sue has just had her first child. BIRTH Sue ________________ her first child.
851. I can’t remember the plot at all. FORGOTTEN I ________________ what the plot is about. 852. Football is the most exciting sport to play. AS No other sport ________________ to play as football. 853. I’ve never seen such an amazing show. THE This is ________________ that I’ve ever seen. 854. Sam isn’t nearly as brave as Chloe. LOT Chloe is ________________ Sam. 855. Last year the show wasn’t quite as expensive as this year. BIT Last year the show was ________________ expensive than this year. 856. I think playing tennis is a lot easier than golf. FAR I think it’s ________________ tennis than golf. 857. Not many other cities are as large as Tokyo. THE Tokyo is one ________________ in the world. 858. I prefer sightseeing to lying on the beach. RATHER
I’d ________________ on the beach. 859. The authorities are investigating the cause of the fire. INTO The authorities are ________________ the cause of the fire. 860. I just can’t wait to go on holiday! FORWARD I’m really ________________ on holiday. 861. If you don’t know the word, check it in a dictionary. LOOK If you don’t know the word, ________________ in a dictionary. 862. He had a lot of respect for his grandfather. TO He really ________________ his grandfather. 863. You should keep your eyes open for Steve at the dance. OUT You should ________________ Steve at the dance. 864. Keith thinks he is much better than everyone else. DOWN Keith ________________ everyone else. 865. I found an old photograph of my sister the other day. ACROSS The other day ________________ an old photograph of my sister. 866. There’s no point in going to Pete’s house – he won’t be in.
WASTE It’s ________________ going to Pete’s house – he won’t be in. 867. I couldn’t see the car anywhere. SIGN There was ________________the car. 868. It’s very noisy – what’s happening in here? ON It’s very noisy – what’s ________________ in here? 869. I never discovered who had written the book. OUT I never ________________ who had written the book. 870. Mrs Stevens went up the path to the front door of the house. MADE Mrs Stevens ________________ up the path to the front door of the house. 871. It was Susie’s first visit to London. NEVER Susie ________________ to London before. 872. Chloe spent her childhood in the country with her grandparents. BROUGHT Chloe ________________ her grandparents in the country. 873. I’d like to go to India. APPEALS The idea of ________________ me.
874. ‘Do you want to have a drink, Peter?’ asked Jane. LIKE Jane asked Peter ________________ have a drink. 875. They said they had found the directions he gave very confusing. BEEN They said they ________________ his directions. 876. There were students from ten different countries in the class. UP The class ________________ students from ten different countries. 877. Melissa has not appeared on television much recently. MADE Melissa has ________________ on television recently. 878. You need both luck and talent to succeed. WELL Success depends ________________ as talent. 879. ‘Who borrowed my book, Mary?’ asked Andrew. HAD Andrew ________________ his book. 880. You must do exactly as I tell you. CARRY You must ________________ instructions exactly. 881. There are hardly any copies of the book left in the shop. VERY There are ________________ of the book left in the shop.
882. I only ate a little at lunch, so I’m hungry now. TO I didn’t ________________ at lunch, so I’m hungry now. 883. Don swims better than Carlos. WELL Carlos ________________ as Don. 884. They don’t know what caused the problem yet. DISCOVERED They ________________ of the problem yet. 885. He said that the accident was my fault. BLAMED He ________________ the accident. 886. It’s three years since we worked together. NOT We ________________ three years. 887. ‘I’ll come with you tomorrow,’ said Jaime. PROMISED Jaime ________________ the next day. 888. I prefer watching football to playing it. RATHER I ________________ play it. 889. I asked if I could talk to Sophie. WORD
I asked if I could ________________ Sophie. 890. I’ve got to present the project to the Board of Directors tomorrow. PRESENTATION I’ve got to ________________ about the project to the Board of Directors tomorrow. 891. We were able to find a solution to the problem that we could both accept. COMPROMISE We were able ________________ over the problem. 892. I wasn’t ready for the last because I hadn’t done enough work. PREPARATION I hadn’t ________________ for the test. 893. I really enjoy meeting friends and talking to them over coffee. CHAT I really enjoy meeting friends and ________________ them over coffee. 894. I think we should talk about this with the boss. DISCUSSION I think we should ________________ this with the boss. 895. They advertised the mobile phone so intensively that it was an immediate success. WAS Because it ________________ the mobile phone was an immediate success. 896. The technician solved the computer problem quickly. DEALT The computer problem ________________ the technician. 897. Someone must have seen him there!
BEEN He ________________ there by someone! 898. Their normal business was continued after a short break. ON After a short break, they ________________ their normal business. 899. She may contact him by phone this afternoon. THAT It ________________ she will contact him by phone this afternoon. 900. There’s no chance that Peter was in the house at the time. HAVE Peter ________________ in the house at the time. 901. You must remember your camera. BRING Don’t ________________ your camera. 902. The officials allowed us to take photographs in the museum. LET The officials ________________ photographs in the museum. 903. I’d like to buy a mountain bike. INTERESTED I’m ________________ a mountain bike. 904. Susie and I are very good friends. ON Susie and I ________________ with one another.
905. Jack feels bad about not writing to his friend either. WISHES Jack ________________ his friend earlier. 906. I think you should go home now. TIME I think ________________ home. 907. I wish I could speak Spanish. BEING I regret ________________ speak Spanish. 908. I wish I was still in contact with my old school friends. TOUCH I wish I had ________________ with my old school friends. 909. You ought to buy some new shoes. HIGH It is ________________ some new shoes. 910. His last film, starring Julia Roberts, was his best. WHICH His last film, ________________ Julia Roberts, was his best. 911. When I was a child, I walked to school every day. USED When I was a child, ________________ to school every day. 912. If John was coming, he’d be here by now. LOOKS If ________________ John isn’t coming.
913. It was a more difficult job than they had anticipated. EASY The job ________________ they had anticipated. 914. ‘Don’t touch the wet paint Eddie,’ said Kate. WARNED Kate ________________ the wet paint. 915. The last time I went surfing was ten years ago. FOR I ________________ ten years. 916. It was unfair that Eva was fired. DESERVE Eva ________________ fired. 917. Which part of the book interested you most? THE Which was ________________ part of the book? 918. He said he regretted writing to her. ONLY He said: ________________ written to her!’ 919. You can’t use a mobile phone in here. ALLOWED You ________________ use a mobile phone in here. 920. It wasn’t necessary for you to bring all those books. NEED
You ________________ brought all those books. 921. You should park on the other side of the road. SUPPOSED You ________________ on this side of the road. 922. The library was built too far away from the town centre. SHOULD They ________________ the library nearer the town centre. 923. These exercises should be continued for six weeks. MUST You ________________ on doing these exercises for six weeks. 924. It was wrong of you to give him my address. LET You ________________ know my address. 925. You must do exactly as I tell you. CARRY You must ________________ instructions exactly. 926. You should make an effort to stop smoking. UP You should try ________________ smoking. 927. Edward has the ability to succeed in his exams. CAPABLE Edward ________________ in his exams. 928. I would really like to be able to play the piano.
WISH I ________________ play the piano. 929. The number of people studying information technology has increased sharply. RISE There has ________________ the number of people studying information technology. 930. You answered all the questions so I’m sure you passed the exam. MUST You answered all the questions so ________________ the exam. 931. Writing a letter is not necessary in this case. NEED You ________________ write a letter in this case. 932. I hated my new school at first, though now it’s not so bad. GETTING I hated my new school at first, though I ________________ now. 933. It was Julia who wore that dress. BY That dress ________________ Julia. 934. At school, Jane was the best swimmer in her class. SWIM At school, Jane ________________ anyone else in her class. 935. Do you think you will manage to find the way? ABLE Do you think ________________ find the way?
936. You didn’t help me, even though you had the chance. HAVE You ________________ but you didn’t. 937. I wish my spoken English was better. SPEAK I wish ________________ English better. 938. I thought I would get the job, but someone else got it instead. SUCCEED I ________________ the job. 939. Peter was often quite unpredictable. BE Peter ________________ quite unpredictable. 940. I knew how to drive by the time I was 17. TO I ________________ by the time I was 17. 941. Unfortunately, I missed the train. MANAGE Unfortunately, I did not ________________ the train. 942. They made me feel really welcome. WAS I ________________ really welcome. 943. There is a rumour that he committed the crime. HAVE He ________________ committed the crime.
944. I need to ask the dentist to take this tooth out. HAVE I need to ________________ out. 945. People say that the police will arrest the thief soon. EXPECTED It ________________ the police will arrest the thief soon. 946. When I was a child, I didn’t like it when anyone cut my hair. HAVING I didn’t like ________________ when I was a child. 947. They didn’t let journalists interview the suspect. ALLOWED Journalists ________________ interview the suspect. 948. You’ll need to take this suit to the cleaners soon. GET You’ll have ________________ soon. 949. After searching for years, they discovered the city. OCCURRED The ________________ after years of searching. 950. Trade was the basis of the city’s civilisation. BUILT The city’s civilisation ________________ trade. 951. The artist was able to sell his carvings for a lot of money. SUMS
The artist was able to charge ________________ his carvings. 952. Paul was too frightened to move. THAT Paul was ________________ not move. 953. The wind was so strong that we could not go outside. SUCH There was ________________ that we could not go outside. 954. I couldn’t follow the instructions as they were very complicated. FOR The instructions ________________ to follow. 955. It was the most interesting programme I have ever seen. SUCH I have ________________ interesting programme. 956. Sarah was too ill to finish the course. WELL Sarah ________________ to finish the course. 957. The tickets cost so much money that we couldn’t afford them. LOT The tickets cost ________________ that we couldn’t afford them. 958. They advised me to have a course of injections. ADVISABLE They told ________________ to have a course of injections. 959. Drinking unboiled water is not advised when travelling off the beaten track.
WISE It is ________________ unboiled water travelling off the beaten track. 960. Trying to climb the mountain on your own is not recommended. ATTEMPT You should ________________ the mountain on your own. 961. ‘I wouldn’t stay out in the sun too long, if I were you,’ he said. ADVISED She ________________ out in the sun too long. 962. Visitors should remember to bring warm clothes. REMINDED Visitors ________________ will need warm clothes. 963. ‘You must see the traditional dancers – they’re excellent,’ he said. MISS He told me I should ________________ the excellent traditional dancers. 964. You shouldn’t have leave without visiting the cathedral. OUGHT You ________________ before you leave. 965. It is a good idea for guests to keep their passports in the hotel safe. RECOMMENDED Guests ________________ their passports in the hotel safe. 966. Someone should have told her that the coffee was hot. WARNED She ________________ the hot coffee.
967. My hair is getting too long – it needs cutting soon! GET I will have ________________ soon. 968. She didn’t want to pay for the drinks she’d had. AVOID She tried ________________ for the drinks she’d had. 969. Gunilla had to take Mrs Carling’s children to school. RESPONSIBLE Gunilla ________________ Mrs Carling’s children to school. 970. The company has invented a useful piece of wquipment. COME The company has ________________ a useful piece of equipment. 971. I think it would be a good idea for you to take the job. WERE If I ________________ the job. 972. I could only just see him in the dim light. OUT I could barely ________________ in the dim light. 973. Because of the snow I couldn’t arrive any earlier. SNOWING If it ________________, I would have arrived earlier. 974. Because of the fog at the airport, we took off three hours late. DELAYED Fog at the airport meant that our ________________ three hours.
975. Some older people are finding it difficult to adjust to digital technology. USED Some older people can’t ________________ digital technology. 976. Someone has just told me that you’re looking for a new job. INFORMED I ________________ that you’re looking for a new job. 977. The last time I saw my sister was three years ago. SINCE It’s ________________ my sister. 978. In some jobs, men are paid more than women for the same work. AS In some jobs women are not ________________ for the same work. 979. My brother looks much fitter. I think he’s stopped smoking. GIVEN My brother must ________________ smoking. He looks much fitter. 980. It has been reported that there are serious floods in the south west of the country. FLOODING There have been ________________ in the south west of the country. 981. One of my managers suggested I went on a training course. ADVISED I ________________ on a training course by one of my managers. 982. The book was so interesting that I couldn’t put it down. SUCH
It was ________________ that I couldn’t put it down. 983. He started work as a travelling salesman with the shoe company. GAVE The shoe company ________________ a travelling salesman. 984. Nike bought the Converse company in 2003. TAKEN In 2003, the converse company ________________ Nike. 985. It is the responsibility of each head teacher to decide what the school uniform should be. RESPONSIBLE Each head teacher ________________ what the school uniform should be. 986. I am similar in appearance to my older brother. LIKE I ________________ older brother. 987. Everything went very well, so you were working unnecessarily. HAVE You ________________ worried. Everything went very well. 988. Uniforms were introduced by some schools in the USA in the 1980s. BROUGHT Some schools in the USA ________________ in the 1980s. 989. As soon as his plane landed Derek Bond was arrested and thrown into prison. THAN No sooner ________________ Derek Bond was arrested and thrown into prison.
990. In many countries, the school-leaving age is sixteen. ALLOWED In many countries, you ________________ when you’re sixteen. 991. My cousin lost his job two years ago. UNEMPLOYED My cousin ________________ two years. 992. Having peeled the onions, he added them to the soup. WHEN He added the onions to the soup ________________ them. 993. I last saw Sandra a week ago. SINCE I have ________________ week. 994. After locking the door of the shop, she left. UNTIL She didn’t ________________ the door of the shop. 995. I haven’t enjoyed myself so much for a long time. AGES It ________________ enjoyed myself so much. 996. She felt excited and nervous when she arrived at the airport. ARRIVAL Apart from ________________ at the airport, she also felt nervous. 997.It wasn’t difficult to book online, which surprised me. SURPRISINGLY It was ________________ book online.
998. I was really looking forward to getting home. WAIT I ________________ home. 999. Georgina recovered from the shock eventually. TOOK It ________________ to recover from the shock. 1000. I was tired but otherwise none the worse for the experience. FEELING Apart ________________ I was none the worse for the experience. 1001. I hate it when people interrupt me when I’m talking. STAND I ________________ me when I’m talking. 1002. It worries me that I’ll arrive late for the interview. TIME I am worried about not ________________ for the interview. 1003. At school I found it impossible to remember historical dates. GOOD At school I was ________________ historical dates. 1004. I’ve told John I’ll meet him inside the restaurant. ARRANGED I ________________ inside the restaurant. 1005. They didn’t have enough money to go abroad on holiday last year. AFFORD
They ________________ abroad on holiday last year. 1006. If I’m not doing something creative, I feel, I’m wasting my time. UNLESS I feel I’m wasting my time ________________ something creative. 1007. You will be instructed on how to produce fresh cheese. GIVEN You ________________ on how to produce fresh cheese. 1008. We’ve arranged for our car to be serviced next week. HAVING We ________________ next week. 1009. Backpackers in Australia come from many different countries. OVER Backpackers in Australia come from ________________ world. 1010. There’s no point worrying about jet lag. WORTH Jet lag is ________________. 1011. Most of the machines at my local gym were not working. ORDER Most of the machines at my local gym ________________. 1012. It was five minutes before I found someone who could help. TOOK It ________________ find someone who could help. 1013. While he was clearing, out the car, my father found my camera.
CAME My father ________________ my camera while he was clearing out the car. 1014. ‘You’d better not swim there. It’s dangerous!’ the man told us. WARNED The man ________________ there because it was dangerous. 1015. ‘I wouldn’t buy Dave a book if I were you,Pete,’ said Laura. ADVISED Laura ________________ Dave a book. 1016. ‘Take that chewing gum out, Claire!’ the teacher said. TOLD The teacher ________________ the chewing gum out of her mouth. 1017. ‘Can you speak Spanish, John?’ asked Marie. ASKED Marie ________________ speak Spanish. 1018. ‘I’ll pick you up from work if you like, Tracy,’ said Jason. OFFERED Jason ________________ from work. 1019. ‘See you after class, Angie!’ said Mike. SAID Mike ________________ Angie after class. 1020. Cars are banned from the city centre. BAN There is ________________ in the city centre.
1021. Everyone contributes to global warming. CONTRIBUTION Everyone ________________ global warming. 1022. I have no sympathy for people who complain about rising fuel prices. SYMPATHISE I ________________ people who complain about rising fuel prices. 1023. We should invest in renewable energy sources like solar energy. MAKE We ought ________________ renewable energy sources like solar energy. 1024. Some people don’t seem able to change their bad habits. INCAPABLE Some people seem to ________________ their bad habits. 1025. Switching off your television at night can save you 40 per cent on your energy bill. RESULT Switching off your television at night can ________________ 40 per cent on your energy bill. 1026. The environment can be negatively affected by modern farming methods. EFFECT Modern farming methods can ________________ the environment. 1027. People are angry about plans to build a third runway at the airport. ANGER There ________________ plans to build a third runway at the airport. 1028. Swimming in that river is dangerous. SAFE
It ________________ in that river. 1029. The police searched for clues. SEARCH A ________________ by the police. 1030. Although he’s ninety, he still drives. DESPITE He still drives ________________. 1031. I can’t understand why he is fascinated by snakes. FASCINATION I can’t understand ________________ snakes. 1032. They have spent a lot of time and money on the project. DEAL A ________________ time and money has been spent on the project. 1033. Unfortunately, I haven’t got enough money to go on holiday this year. AFFORD I wish ________________ on holiday this year. 1034. You never clean the bath when you’ve finished! WISH I ________________ the bath when you’ve finished! 1035. Pete regrets forgetting to send Sally a Valentine card. REMEMBERED Pete wishes ________________ Sally a Valentine card. 1036. ‘It wasn’t a good idea to go to bed so late,’ said Justin, yawning.
EARLIER ‘I wish I ________________,’ said Justin, yawning. 1037. ‘I’d love to be the same height as my sister,’ said Jodie enviously. TALL Jodie wishes ________________ her sister. 1038. I regret telling John. ONLY If ________________ John. 1039. I didn’t answer the phone because I didn’t know it was you. HAD If I ________________, I would have answered the phone. 1040. I didn’t know you were back from your holiday, so I didn’t phone you. IF I would have phoned you ________________ you were back from your holiday. 1041. If she’d had my address with her, she’d have sent me a postcard. BECAUSE She didn’t send me a postcard ________________ my address with her. 1042. He forgot to put his watch on – that’s why he was late. BEEN He wouldn’t ________________ he hadn’t forgotten to put his watch on. 1043. I’d have bought you a present, but I forgot when your birthday was. IF I’d have bought you a present ________________ when your birthday was.
1044. We got in from work really late – that’s why we didn’t come to your party. WOULD If we hadn’t got in from work so late, ________________ to your party. 1045. They arrested Simpson because he had vandalised property. VANDALISING Simpson ________________ property. 1046. Terry Ray said he was successful because of his teachers. OWED Terry Ray said ________________ his teachers. 1047. Ray wouldn’t allow his mother to hit him any more. LET Ray refused ________________ him any more. 1048. The judge wanted to help kids. INTERESTED The judge ________________ kids. 1049. I’m almost positive Susan heared what I said. HAVE Susan ________________ what I said. 1050. Maybe John didn’t want to come. NOT John ________________ to come. 1051. Elderly people need to keep active. THE It’s important ________________ active.
1052. The concert was very popular so they’re going to put on a repeat performance. SUCH It ________________ that they’re going to put on a repeat performance. 1053. When I was a teenager, I often spent whole days playing computer games. WOULD As a teenager, ________________ whole days playing computer games. 1054. It isn’t that easy to stop smoking. GIVING ________________ isn’t that easy. 1055. Nobody I know works harder than Joe does. He’s a workaholic. HARDEST Joe ________________ know. He’s a workaholic. 1056. She keeps complaining about the noise from next door. ALWAYS She ________________ about the noise from next door. 1057. Sally will probably phone us this evening. LIKELY We ________________ a phone call from Sally this evening. 1058. They asked us to wait in the corridor until they called us. WE ________________ wait in the corridor until they called us. 1059. I’m really against paying such high mobile phone charges. OBJECT
I really ________________ such high mobile phone charges. 1060. I think too much money is spent on holidays. LESS I think people should ________________ on holidays. 1061. I couldn’t hear what he said because of the noise. PREVENTED The noise ________________ what he said. 1062. Jane continued to work for the firm after the baby was born. WENT Jane ________________ for the firm after the baby was born. 1063. She had no intention of insulting you. MEAN She ________________ you. 1064. I have no objection to Paul coming as well. MIND I do ________________ as well. 1065. Predicting the weather is sometimes difficult. HARD It can ________________ the weather. 1066. I haven’t got enough money to buy a new car. AFFORD I ________________ a new car. 1067. Emma is excited about going to Greece on holiday.
FORWARD Emma ________________ to Greece on holiday. 1068. It’s getting easier for me to get up early. USED I ________________ up early. 1069. Jason adds up figures well for someone his age. GOOD Jason ________________ figures for someone his age. 1070. It’s a pity you didn’t tell me earlier. WISH I ________________ me earlier. 1071. I would prefer you not to smoke, if you don’t mind. RATHER I ________________ smoke, if you don’t mind. 1072. Mandy’s boss won’t let her leave work early. ALLOWED Mandy ________________ leave work early. 1073. I’m not sorry I chose nursing as a career. REGRET I ________________ nursing as a career. 1074. Some people have complained about the noise. SEVERAL There ________________ about the noise.
1075. My house is being painted at the moment. HAVING I ________________ at the moment. 1076. Have you decided what you would like for dinner? MIND Have you ________________ what you would like for dinner? 1077. The plane left on time although the weather was bad. TOOK The plane ________________ the bad weather. 1078. It is impossible to sit on the grass because it is too wet. DRY The grass is ________________ on. 1079. Two detectives questioned the suspects. INTERVIEWED The suspects ________________ two detectives. 1080. We haven’t been to this part of the country before. TIME This is the ________________ been to this part of the country. 1081. ‘Where did you buy your coat?’, my friend asked me. WHERE My friend asked me ________________ coat. 1082. Although the traffic was heavy, we arrived on time. SPITE We arrived on time, ________________ traffic.
1083. They’re going to mend my computer at the shop. REPAIRED I’m going ________________ at the shop. 1084. You were supposed to be here half an hour ago! OUGHT You ________________ here half an hour ago! 1085. I suggest thinking very carefully before you decide. HAD You ________________ very carefully before you decide. 1086. I hadn’t walked that far before, so I was very tired. USED I was very tired because I ________________ that far. 1087. They shouldn’t have closed the café so early. NEED There ________________ them to close the café so early. 1088. Some people take no notice of warning signs. ATTENTION Some people don’t ________________ warning signs. 1089. I’m sure he saw me because I walked right past him. MUST He ________________ me because I walked right past him. 1090. The only reason I heared about the party was that Sonia told me. KNOWN
If Sonia hadn’t told me, I ________________ about the party. 1091. ‘Do you think we’ll win?’ Jack asked me. IF Jack asked me ________________ win. 1092. Paul has never run as fast as this before. EVER This is the ________________ run. 1093. The boss has a lot of experience of making hard decisions. USED The boss ________________ hard decisions. 1094. I’m afraid we don’t have any time left. RUN I’m afraid ________________ time. 1095. My parents never took me anywhere when I was a child. USED My parents ________________ me anywhere when I was a child. 1096. She asks boring questions all the time. KEEPS She ________________ boring questions. 1097. If you can’t do it yourself, ask Helen for help. GET If you can’t do it yourself, ________________ you. 1098. How much will she earn in her new job?
GET How much will she ________________ in her new job? 1099. Could you tell me your date of birth, please? WHEN Would you mind ________________ born, please? 1100. I can’t wait to finish these exams. FORWARD I’m ________________ these exams. 1101. I haven’t got enough money for a car. AFFORD I ________________ buy a car. 1102. Steven is friendlier than David. AS David ________________ Stteven. 1103. I don’t usually see him at the weekend. RARE It ________________ see him at the weekend. 1104. Shall I look after your cats while you’re away on holiday? CARE Would you like ________________ your cats while you’re away on holiday? 1105. You didn’t have to come on this trip. MADE Nobody ________________ on this trip.
1106. You shouldn’t go to bed late tonight – tomorrow’s going to be a busy day. BETTER You ________________ early tonight – tomorrow’s going to be a busy day. 1107. I can’t work because there’s too much noise. ME It’s ________________ work. 1108. They are installing central heating in our flat next week. INSTALLED We ________________ in our flat next week. 1109. You can’t see that film because you’re still too young. ENOUGH You’re ________________ that film yet. 1110. I was so frightened by the film, I had to cover my eyes and ears! SUCH It ________________ that I had to cover my eyes and ears! 1111. I wasn’t very interested in what he was doing. TAKE I ________________ in what he was doing. 1112. It was such a good book, I couldn’t put it down. SO The ________________ I couldn’t put it down. 1113. I started living here I got married. SINCE I ________________ I got married.
1114. I haven’t been to the beach for nine months. LAST It’s nine ________________ to the beach. 1115. I don’t mind cooking food but eating it is better. PREFER I ________________ it. 1116. We’d prefer to go to the cinema rather than the theatre. RATHER We ________________ cinema than the theatre. 1117. Despite our late arrival we managed to catch the plane. WE Although ________________, we managed to catch the plane. 1118. She told him the truth, although I had told her not to. DESPITE She told him the truth ________________ not to. 1119. I think she’s about to end our relationship. POINT I think she’s ________________ up with me. 1120. I’m certain he didn’t use the car because his sister had the keys. USED He ________________ the car because his sister had the keys. 1121. I’ve never seen her before today. TIME
This ________________ I have seen her. 1122. Someone has vandalized all the phone boxes in our street. VANDALIZED All the phone boxes ________________ in our street. 1123. My grandfather gave me this watch. BY I ________________ my grandfather. 1124. They do not think his condition is serious. THOUGHT His condition ________________ serious. 1125. We can only go if you give us a lift. UNLESS We ________________ give us a lift. 1126. It’s a good thing you reminded me about the programme or I would have missed it. IF I would have missed the programme ________________ me about it. 1127. ‘I’m going away next weekend,’ she said. FOLLOWING She said she ________________ weekend. 1128. ‘Have you been smoking again?’ he asked his daughter. HAD He asked his daughter ________________ again. 1129. He has made very little progress this year.
NOT He ________________ progress this year. 1130. Someone is meeting her at the airport. IS She ________________ at the airport. 1131. Kate, please could you tell me how much your new dress cost? MIND Kate, ________________ me how much your new dress cost? 1132. I have been driving for much longer than Simon. NEARLY Simon hasn’t been driving for ________________ I have. 1133. Will you look after the dog while we’re away on holiday? TAKE Will you ________________ the dog while we’re away on holiday? 1134. I really don’t think you should climb on that wall OUGHT I really think you ________________ climb on that wall. 1135. We haven’t been abroad for a holiday since we bought the caravan. TIME The ________________ abroad for a holiday was before we bought the caravan. 1136. What are you going to do when you finish university? ON What are you ________________ when you finish university?
1137. We didn’t go to the beach because it was raining. HAVE If it hadn’t been raining we ________________ to the beach. 1138. ‘Don’t put your feet up on the chair, please, Jack.’ TOLD His father ________________ his feet up on the chair. 1139. The climber was too weak to carry on to the top of the mountain. STRONG The climber ________________ to carry on to the top of the mountain. 1140. Rick is making a slow recovery from his illness. GETTING Rick ________________ his illness. 1141. Why don’t you throw away that old blouse? RID How about ________________ that old blouse? 1142. We usually buy our food from the local market. TEND We ________________ our food from the local market. 1143. He never asks when he borrows my things! ALWAYS He is ________________ asking! 1144. When I was younger we often used to go on holiday abroad. WOULD When I was younger ________________ on holiday abroad.
1145. I’m sure I won’t have any problems sharing a flat after a couple of weeks. GET I’m sure I’ll ________________ a flat after a couple of weeks. 1146. I still find it difficult to work with a computer. USED I still haven’t ________________ with a computer. 1147. I can’t wait to see you again. FORWARD I’m really ________________ you again. 1148. I ought to phone my dad to tell him I’ve arrived safely. BETTER I ________________ my dad to tell him I’ve arrived safely. 1149. How long was your journey from London to Manchester? TAKE How long ________________ get from London to Manchester? 1150. The film wasn’t nearby as good as I thought it would be. FAR The film ________________ I thought it would be. 1151. She’s happier than she used to be. SAD She isn’t ________________ was before. 1152. I’ve never had such a boring time on holiday! ENJOYABLE
This is ________________ holiday I’ve ever had! 1153. If you work harder, you won’t have to do so much later. THE The harder ________________ you’ll have to do later. 1154. Kate has slightly more experience than the others. QUITE The others don’t have ________________ Kate. 1155. We decided to see the film because it got such good reviews. THAT The reviews for the film ________________ we decided to see it. 1156. The weather was so bad that we decided to come home. SUCH It ________________ that we decided to come home. 1157. I got so bored during the film I fell asleep. SUCH It ________________ film I fell asleep. 1158. The party was so crowded we could hardly move. SO There ________________ people at the party we could hardly move. 1159. When the meeting was over, they went out for a drink. HAD As ________________ finished, they went out for a drink. 1160. When we eventually arrived at the party, all the food had been eaten.
GOT By ________________ the party, all the food had been eaten. 1161. Immediately after he went, we started to relax . ONCE We started to relax ________________ gone. 1162. He put everything back in its place before he left. UNTIL He didn’t ________________ everything back in its place. 1163. I liked him the first time I met him. TOOK I ________________ the first time I saw him. 1164. They decided against employing him because of his age. TAKE They decided ________________ because of his age. 1165. She is proud of her achievements. PRIDE She ________________ her achievements. 1166. She isn’t very interested in my work. IN She doesn’t ________________ my work. 1167. His exam mark was such a disappointment. SO He ________________ with his exam mark.
1168. I was so tired after that walk. SUCH It ________________ walk. 1169. When I was young I wasn’t allowed to watch much TV. LET When I was young my parents ________________ much TV. 1170. She had to wash up before she could go out. MADE She ________________ wash up before she could go out. 1171. I’m never allowed to do what I want. CAN I ________________ what I want. 1172. Why can’t we go to the party? ALLOWED Why ________________ go to the party? 1173. In my opinion parents ought not to smack their children. SHOULD I don’t think ________________ their children. 1174. There’s no need for you to hand the report in until next week. NEED You ________________ in the report until next week. 1175. I think you should tell your parents exactly what happened. BETTER I think you ________________ your parents exactly what happened.
1176. Do you know what the homework is? SUPPOSED Do you know what we ________________ for homework? 1177. I couldn’t hear what they were saying because they were speaking so quietly. TOO They were speaking ________________ hear what they were saying. 1178. He couldn’t see over the wall because he was so small. ENOUGH He was ________________ see over the wall. 1179. We’ll need more eggs if we want to make an omelette. ENOUGH There ________________ make an omelette. 1180. I can’t drink this tea because it’s too sweet. SUGAR There ________________ in this tea for me to drink it. 1181. I didn’t go into the bar because it was too crowded. TOO I didn’t go into the bar because ________________ people. 1182. He doesn’t find it hard to make new friends. DIFFICULTY He has ________________ new friends. 1183. My relationship with Jerry is none of your business. NOTHING
My relationship with Jerry ________________ you. 1184. His guitar playing style was strongly influenced by Eric Clapton. A Eric Clapton had ________________ his guitar playing style. 1185. I don’t think I’m strong enough to lift it. THE I don’t think I ________________ to lift it. 1186. We’re getting a friend to repair the roof. HAVING We ________________ by a friend. 1187. They took his tonsils out when he was 11. TAKEN He ________________ when he was 11. 1188. We don’t want a complete stranger to do it. HAVE We don’t want ________________ a complete stranger. 1189. I think we’d prefer to watch rather than take part. RATHER I think we’d ________________ part. 1190. My sister thinks it’s better to buy books than borrow them. TO My sister prefer ________________ them. 1191. I’d rather phone him than send an e-mail.
RATHER I’d prefer ________________ send an e-mail. 1192. I’d prefer to stay in tonight. NOT I’d rather ________________ tonight. 1193. I haven’t spoken to her since she had her baby. LAST The ________________ her was before she had her baby. 1194. I haven’t eaten Greek food before. TIME This is the ________________ Greek food. 1195. My nephew began to play tennis in 1999. SINCE My nephew ________________ 1999. 1196. He hasn’t seen his sister for many years. AGES It’s ________________ his sister. 1197. The last time I went swimming was three months ago. FOR I ________________ three months. 1198. I’ve never seen a supermarket as big as this before. SUPERMARKET This is the ________________ seen.
1199. Although he can speak Russian fluently, he still has problems with listening. ABLE Despite ________________ Russian, he still has problems with listening. 1200. Although there has been an imrovement in his behaviour, his teacher is still concerned. THE Despite ________________ has improved, his teacher is still concerned. 1201. In spite of a good performance, she didn’t win the match. LOST Although ________________ the match. 1202. Although the price of the car had increased, we decided to buy it. INCREASE We decided to buy the car, ________________ in the cost. 1203. Where are you going to spend your holidays this year? PLANNING Where ________________ your holidays this year? 1204. He was about to say something when the phone rang. POINT He was ________________ something when the phone rang. 1205. Unemployment will probably rise in the next few months. LIKELY Unemployment ________________ in the next few months. 1206. She’s unlikely to change her mind about the job. PROBABLY
She ________________ change her mind about the job. 1207. The plants will probably all be dead by the time we get home. HAVE The plants ________________ by the time we get home. 1208. The goalkeeper was injured, so maybe he isn’t playing today. MIGHT The goalkeeper was injured, so he ________________ today. 1209. I expect you were pleased to get home after such a terrible holiday. MUST You ________________ get home after such a terrible holiday. 1210. I’m sure he didn’t phone, because I was at home all day. HAVE He ________________, because I was at home all day. 1211. It’s possible that someone stole your purse when we were in the restaurant. MIGHT Someone ________________ when we were in the restaurant. 1212. Tim hasn’t had a single cigarette today so perhaps he has stopped smoking completely. MAY Tim hasn’t had a single cigarette today so he ________________ up smoking completely. 1213. You can keep a secret, can’t you? GIVE You wouldn’t ________________ you?
1214. If you don’t let me have your essay tomorrow, there’ll be trouble! BETTER You ________________ in your essay tomorrow or there’ll be trouble! 1215. When she spoke to him, he laughed nervously. A He ________________ when she spoke to him. 1216. It is forbidden to take cameras into the courtroom. MUST Cameras ________________ into the courtroom. 1217. It is known that Smith broke into several houses. KNOWN Smith ________________ into several houses. 1218. They do not think he is dangerous. BE He ________________ dangerous. 1219.They’ll make you pay a fine if they catch you smoking. MADE You ________________ pay a fine if they catch you smoking. 1220. I told nobody about our conversation so I’m sure someone tapped my phone. MUST I told nobody about our conversation so my phone ________________ by someone. 1221. The lawyer is still waiting for his client to contact him. CONTACTED
The lawyer ________________ his client yet. 1222. It’s too wet to play tennis today. IF We could play tennis ________________ wet today. 1223. It’s a good thing I spoke to you or I would have forgotten her birthday. IF I would have forgotten her birthday ________________ to you. 1224. I only wrote the letter because my mother made me do it. NOT If my mother hadn’t made me do it, ________________ the letter. 1225. I will help you only if you tidy your room. NOT I will ________________ tidy your room. 1226. I got soaking wet because I forgot to take my umbrella with me. REMEMBERED If ________________ my umbrella with me, I wouldn’t have got soaking wet. 1227. Some people say that giving up smoking causes your weight to increase. YOU Some people say that if you ________________ on weight. 1228. I’ve had enough of the neighbours’ noise. PUT I refuse ________________ the neighbours’ noise any more. 1229. The factory fumes are endangering the health of local residents.
PUT The health of local residents ________________ risk by the factory fumes. 1230. I eat meat, but it has to be well cooked. PROVIDED I eat meat ________________ well cooked. 1231. You can borrow it, but you must give it back next week. LONG You can borrow it ________________ it back next week. 1232. ‘Did you buy a bandage, Ray?’ asked Graham. HE Graham asked ________________ a bandage. 1233. His condition improved so rapidly he went home four days after the operation. SUCH There ________________ in his condition he went home four days after the operation. 1234. ‘I wouldn’t go to that restaurant if I were you, Matt,’ I said. ADVISED I ________________ to that restaurant. 1235. I’m amazed by how much English he knows. OF His ________________ me. 1236. ‘Cany you swim, Sarah?’ asked her teacher. HER Sarah’s teacher asked ________________ to swim.
1237. ‘I’ll drive you to the station, Dawn,’ he said. OFFERED He ________________ a lift to the station. 1238. ‘There’ll be very few people at the party,’ she told Roger. NOT She told Roger there ________________ people at the party. 1239. ‘Let’s eat out tomorrow,’ said Chris. SUGGESTED Chris ________________ day. 1240. Mr Yates said it was Helen who had started the flight. BLAMED Mr Yates ________________ the flight. 1241. ‘I’m sorry I’m late,’ said Adrian. APOLOGIZED Adrian ________________ late. 1242. She warned us not to go out alone after dark. WARNED She ________________ going out alone after dark. 1243. The imigration officials did not let him come into the country. PREVENTED The imigration officials ________________ into the country. 1244. We demanded to see the manager. SEEING We ________________ the manager.
1245. The rescue team was unable to find the missing climbers. SUCCEED The rescue team ________________ the missing climbers. 1246. We got to the theatre after the play started. MANAGE We ________________ to the theatre before the play started. 1247. You really ought to complain to the manager about the service. MAKE You really should ________________ to the manager about the service. 1248. It’s a pity I don’t live nearer the school. WISH I ________________ nearer the school. 1249. I regret telling her about my new boyfriend. WISH I ________________ her about my new boyfriend. 1250. I’d prefer you not to wear those jeans to the wedding. RATHER I’d ________________ those jeans to the wedding. 1251. We really ought to go home now. WENT It’s ________________ home. 1252. I’d really like to go with them, but there’s no room in their car. WISH
I ________________ with them, but there’s no room in their car. 1253. You should have brought your umbrella! BROUGHT If ________________ your umbrella! 1254. I don’t like you speaking to me like that! WISH I ________________ to me like that! 1255. It would be nice to know what my dog was thinking. WISH I ________________ what my dog was thinking. 1256. You should put an extra jumper on so that you don’t get cold. ORDER You should put an extra jumper on ________________ cold. 1257. He left early because he didn’t want to miss the last bus. AS He left early ________________ the last bus. 1258. I’ve kept the receipt for the shirt because it may not fit you. IN I’ve kept the receipt for the shirt ________________ fit you. 1259. She took something to read to avoid getting bored. WOULD She took something to read ________________ get bored. 1260. The workers were offered a three per cent pay increase but they didn’t accept it.
TURNED The workers ________________ of a three per cent pay increase. 1261. What time did Mike eventually get to the party? TURN What time ________________ at the party? 1262. When Leyla left, I started washing the dishes. UNTIL I waited ________________ I started washing the dishes. 1263. Carlos is very intelligent. He is also successful. BOTH Carlos is ________________ . 1264. Emre is very experienced despite being young. ALTHOUGH Emre is very experienced ________________ . 1265. Beside being lazy, she is also very talkative. ADDITION She is lazy ________________ very talkative. 1266. The match was cancelled due to the bad weather. BECAUSE The match was ________________ bad weather. 1267. Aylin had already left the library when I got there. BY Aylin had already left the library ________________ there.
1268. I enjoyed the book even though it was too long. DESPITE I enjoyed the book ________________ was too long. 1269. Alex de Souza is interested in computer games. Roberto Carlos enjoys dancing. WHEREAS Alex de Souza is interested in computer games ________________ . 1270. I can’t move until I’ve solved my house. UNABLE Until I’ve solved my house ________________ move. 1271. After this I won’t give you any more warnings. LAST This is ________________ give you. 1272. The dry weather is killing all the plants in my garden. DYING All the plants in my garden ________________ the dry weather. 1273. He couldn’t stop quickly enough to avoid the accident. TIME He couldn’t ________________ the accident. 1274. I’m hungry enough to eat two lunches. SO I’m ________________ two lunches. 1275. The return fare is double the single fare. TWICE The return fare ________________ the single fare.
1276. He took two hours deciding which seeds to buy. MIND He took two hours ________________ which seeds to buy. 1277. The population of Spain is increasing. PEOPLE The ________________ is increasing. 1278. I didn’t expect to win. THINK I ________________ win. 1279. My house is near to John’s. CLOSE John ________________ each other. 1280. ‘Don’t stay out for too long,’ his father told him. WARNED His father ________________ out for too long. 1281. John drove us home. DRIVEN We ________________ John. 1282. I had no difficulty in passing the test. FIND I did ________________ pass the test. 1283. The manager postponed the meeting until Monday. OFF
The meeting ________________ manager until Monday. 1284. It was wrong of you to lie. OUGHT You ________________ . 1285. Jane accidentaly broke the vase. MEAN Jane ________________ the vase. 1286. ‘You’ve broken my watch!’ said her father. ACCUSED Her father ________________ watch. 1287. John spent ages doing his homework. TOOK It ________________ his homework. 1288. We didn’t go out because it was very cold. PREVENTED The cold ________________. 1289. ‘How tall are you?’ Peter asked me. WHAT Peter asked ________________. 1290. Alex didn’t drive as carefully as Mary did. THAN Mary ________________ Alex did. 1291. The river was so deep I couldn’t see the bottom.
SUCH It was ________________ I couldn’t see the bottom. 1292. She did not reply immediately. HESITATED She ________________.
1. . not nearly as old as 2. apart from 3. aren’t so widely read 4. much better swimmer than 5. turned it down 6. much less popular than 7. is more difficult to study 8. always borrowing my things without 9. been good at 10. a little more slowly 11. a small number of 12. as soon as he 13. has been living here 14. was not much interest 15. quite a nice 16. used to play 17. was a lack 18. great deal of work 19. people like 20. doesn’t belong to me 21. to be fewer 22. how to speak 23. cleaned the house by herself 24. put off handing 25. on my own 26. no point in Tania 27. love each other 28. wasn’t until she left 29. painted this room myself 30. don’t know who to 31. gave most pleasure 32. couldn’t carry on working 33. know how to use a 34. you’ve done what I 35. where to find 36. know who to / who I should 37. must have been pleased 38. wish I could go to 39. it can’t be Kate 40. must be tired 41. haven’t eaten for 42. must have just been on 43. too unfit to 44. may have been in the 45. as long as you 46. can’t have left
47. on behalf of 48. are taken on 49. a sharp increase in 50. get away with cheating 51. in case we want to 52. got down to some 53. is unlikely (that) there will 54. had to be called off 55. didn’t succed in persuading 56. had trouble writing 57. get the truth out of 58. still haven’t been to 59. haven’t seen Jenny for 60. has never forgotten 61. has been working 62. has just phoned 63. haven’t met for 64. you got a computer at 65. on the train to 66. to be a bus driver 67. he play the piano 68. about Scotland on television 69. we go to the cinema 70. is telling the truth 71. have a reputation 72. snowed hard 73. have increased steadily 74. quite a big 75. a bit of an 76. hardly any 77. was absolutely amazed by 78. a direct flight 79. got extremely angry 80. (really) can’t stand travelling 81. was my decision 82. couldn’t afford to go 83. spent ages getting 84. help smiling when I 85. can hear people laughing 86. threatened to go to 87. looking forward to visiting 88. was worth going to 89. keen on the idea of 90. had already started by 91. when they heared 92. had just taken
93. had not expected them to 94. as soon as I opened 95. was midday when we set 96. anything until he had read 97. while I was 98. she had never been to 99. had been trawelling for 100. a great deal of 101. by very few 102. much interest in 103. lots of money 104. no sports facilities at 105. a small amount of 106. you enjoy yourself at 107. you hurt yourself 108. repaired my bicycle on my 109. know how to use 110. have forgotten what Mike 111. sure who to ask 112. went by myself 113. know what to say 114. been talking to each 115. you draw this yourself 116. has risen to 117. gave an exceptional performance 118. stands out as 119. feel homesick 120. by the popularity 121. turned down 122. lacks patience 123. set off from 124. been a very ambitious 125. has no intention of leaving 126. is not interested in 127. is capable of becoming 128. is no connection between 129. is responsible for choosing 130. a quick solution to 131. good at remembering 132. is no comparison between 133. a sudden increase in 134. difficulty in understanding 135. were disappointed to miss/about missing/that you missed 136. didn’t have to 137. are not allowed to smoke 138. had better wear
must not forget don’t have to accept shouldn’t have gone had to book mustn’t go promised not to tell anyone insisted on buying whether he could have why he hadn’t arrived accused Simon of breakin his/having broken his warned Paul not to invited David to admitted that they hadn’t apologised for making/having made suggested going to (see) I could not go you be able to take is not capable of swimming know how to play could sing better be able to fix did you manage to make succeeded in passing wasn’t able to take managed to put up would have sent her (some) wouldn’t be very/so rich as long as you obey harder you would get if you don’t listen wouldn’t speak German so provided that you don’t earlier you wouldn’t feel even if you work unless you get there’s no need / there isn’t any need it was unusual for Jack did it take (you) to it doesn’t metter is there nothing on there is a problem with there is too much fog it lovely seeing / to see there be a (long/big) queue there was a storm I were you, I would see
regrets not learning to drive was not very interested in was such a cold day I took it back to longest book I have ever used to play haven’t been abroad for you accusing me of breaking in order not to make see the point of is thought to own to put off buying is too cold in case I am not made him tidy in spite of the fact does that fur coat belong was brought up by does not feel like cooking had better not eat is a great deal older warned her sister not to wish I had brought must be delighted told me off is really good at playing are rarely seen out great pleasure in reading you rather live twice as many people insisted on us getting have never seen difficulty in making put him off driving had my room painted by during our flight were you I would go is unusual for Mario to as long as you pay are supposed to check out apologised for forgetting can’t stand people smoking if I had seen broke down in is not worth visiting should not have gone
is being met by not seen Jane since last as good as Ann will usually fall asleep turned him down one of the tallest people want you to say anything is far less expensive than has been boxing for belong until John has whose nose has broken have difficulty in believing to get used to driving I wonder if you could what he did was with my own much hope of us needn’t have gone to father told her to stop got off to a good must have been very had better not go to denied hitting the man’s managed to escape by diving can’t have been staying put off the wedding no point in asking you phone came up against looked up to set off/set out for/on unless you hurry put up with living made no attempt to sun will shine told me he hadn’t don’t we go if she had booked will we leave tomorrow I can dress myself whether they were meeting David was given by the in addition to going flat was looked after by was not passed was accused of cheating by
used to make been promised to to have my computer repaired advised us to take last spoke to me on must bring back can’t win unless wins even the most allowed to play tennis takes pleasure in buying / gets pleasure from buying gave me advice on the exact sum/amount of money item of clothing am about to go to / am about to leave for will have been waiting for although/even though/but he hardly ever isn’t/aren’t often allowed the accident could not be apart from Lucy is about to of the baby’s illness to avoid making if she would be was going to have mind our borrowing/if we borrow/lending us not to be is not as/so good as will/can only of you to lend/give wished he had not asked since I owned should have warned runs more/a greater risk of despite knowing/the fact to be/make friends with put money/something aside for/against are moving in with found it surprising (that) I shall (have to) miss, to miss is no point (in/to) carrying in single file up to all sorts of if I could was not until he was twice as hard as is expected to rise
is not always easy to put him made it impossible for Scotsman will (ever) tip a would rather not get do their best to be more likely you are to it was a mistake/ I made since she had done so has been there for a that/because she did not pass are not as numerous as / are less numerous than in for a lot of brought the list up to it had not been for owed his health to was not his to came as no got into difficulties steering had not been for had we arrived than did he do is no truth in so busy she did not was no point in hard-working man I have (ever) is little likelyhood had difficulty hearing would rather stay at all on my speak up for since he went into a pity he was not did their best found to her surprise is permitted only in apologised for being had (received) confirmation from due to the fact succeed in getting far as I’m concerned was such a nice sent him off (the field) your brother look like to get my/the car repaired / to have my/the car repaired are not supposed to bring
am interested in going if/whether she had been so tired that / so exhausted that a waste of time not return to work unless must have been insisted on/upon seeing have any objection to suggested coming (over) / suggested that she came (over) put up with is not as good as in spite of no excuse for being am not accustomed to driving wish I hadn’t taken are being interviewed carry out the teacher’s is no point to put an advert/advertisement for if he doesn’t arrange would like to learn let the children go until she had finished/completed in order to be / in order to get was better than Jo / turned out better than Jo there is a mark on if she knew where pays (any) attention to is a month since called off the lecture if I had been to was hardly moving even though he had are very few people alive if it had not been were warned not to better hotels than this must pay all course fees I went to Oxford was is the same age as no point learning French have lived here is older than suggested going I had studied harder has been killed
not warm enough to go you don’t study harder two weeks to get over had been paying attention take up are you going to do last time I visited advised me to study law keeps complaining subject did you enjoy most won’t let her come to not used to speaking several years before I could remember the correct answers until must have failed had difficulty learning who the fingerprints belonged is supposed to be in case it rains not changed since was not necessary accused me of taking if English bored was taught to read music wish I could speak French do you want to take if/whether he/she had seen so excited that she could been out of work / been out of a job not complete the work unless you must have seen insisted on/upon staying have no objection to / haven’t any objection to / make no objection to was written during her / was written during a turned down the offer / turned down an offer insisted on paying must not take don’t have to feed must not take pets don’t need to change mustn’t/can not leave the dormitory don’t have to wear play the violin as well was more difficult than am not afraid of can’t stand having
where you stayed is getting better often used to walk was not used to making has borrowed Emma’s car has just started is your favourite type to take part in have been working here for have not seen her since have run out of have known Jonathan since as long as I get confused by haven’t worked out in search of take any risk was the most frightening rather ski than do one of the highest it embarrassing not old enough is more interested in take part in look back on is the weather like look down on feel like going thinks very highly ever find out was still working at more slowly are looking into not much space can always rely on will have been here has been cooking since stone to build were only a few keep in touch with may be allergic to in spite of the fact got a discount on if he could borrow apologised for being is as helpful as
refused to tell me had been very upset by claimed that it was not to open his present visiting Africa appeals to might not be able to was totally absorbed by have a quick word with was dealt with quickly in time to catch she may be telling us can’t have been it possible for me to give a presentation on your opinion of had enough money, I would making fun of you do for a it rains, the game will unless you try was founded by if there was a you would have caught only I had not bought keeps interrupting me wish I could speak high time you got can always depend on wish I hadn’t lost rather you came to took place last as if you’re tired was such good food did not have enough have never seen such a / have never seen a more was not as cool as are better at maths than / can do maths better than was more difficult than is too dangerous to isn’t as hard as has gone up I used to live got used to getting up Maria’s wardrobe which contained he would cycle to tidy up
according to where they do you like most have changed my mind about catches on to shouldn’t have told aren’t allowed to smoke have to join the club not supposed to do to pick up there’s any point stop doing these exercises no charge for soon ran out, although as long as they even though it was could organise events better than was able to drive only I knew how to take Nick long to seem to break down have to pay for broke into the house was given the information by accused Andy of having taken is thought to be living to get these reports checked sentenced the man to without being noticed by longer to get over is said to be enjoy is being so much snowed under with I am patient enough such a strong wind too technical for me to is that they find a solution to has a lot more friends not wise to eat advised me not to go were brought up remember to take care are recommended to leave blew up unexpectedly in addition to leaving
enjoyed travelling, unlike left home as soon as invited us to had no difficulty giving up is someone whose suggestions gave a detailed description we could have seen Athens were told about the exhibits was so difficult had his car repaired by not helped me I would are said to have has been put off not mean to crash not have copied might be difficult had his operation done by have no doubt not visited London for would get home by was set up by took Chiara years to pass have known Peter for last saw a film time I saw buy a DVD player until have never been to when I started the first time I have it is very embarrassing more irritating feels insulted were so thrilled by was soothing are frightened by haven’t heard from looking round to look through heard about look back on see through look out would hardly hurt highly unlikely (that) allow you to move get into that museum (for)
try harder behaved in a very silly went straight an arm and a leg giving me a hand with got my finger in a shoulder to cry on have only had eyes for put a foot if I wanted know where I bought if he could borrow that she had to get wouldn’t be there that they were going she had never been know who we had seen if he had been living advised me to get recommended that I (should) eat invited me denied being explained that she wouldn’t refused to let him congratulated them on winning threatened to call warned us not to walk unless I have if there is if I had had unless we buy unless it was / if it was not wish I had seen only I hadn’t invited wish she wouldn’t do only I had revised I were able regrets leaving / regrets having left time you went rather you gave suppose someone saw look up to looking up gone up the wrong way up to you
up and about are permitted to bring it is necessary for are not allowed to use would be possible to was obliged to are not supposed to wear was forced to admit let me go out made to study provided that no one else unless it is even though I was frightened on condition that in case you lose as long as they have he was given loves being taken to be chosen to was made to feel was known to be dislikes being patted about being told would be allowed to is said to be must have/get our house had their television stolen has her nails painted had my car checked by get broken by had his head cut am snowed under with as right as rain floods of tears a cloud in the sky a storm of protest get on never gave up come up face up to deal with came across talk through is not cool enough to first time I have know where Sue worked
stay/keep in touch if it was/were not only I had bought was called off love to be able to up to you whether you looking after was brought has grown get on well with told us off takes after looked up to getting up to has been out of order the best player works as a social worker had left when I arrived that she had stolen the piano as well as is like tennis invited us to stay 2.5 seconds faster than to tell him accusing me of promised to send (us/them/her etc.) you mind helping me refused to speak denied (ever) having seen agreed that we should considered getting offered to look after avoid giving admitted he had been going / admitted (to) going expect to pass are afraid of hardly ever go to as much work as far fewer people than looks like to take up accused me of stealing I ought to go have lived here since gave out get used to
is not old enough to have known each other since did my best don’t agree with time on his hands get used to driving work out not to tell putting me through used to live mind sharing shouldn’t have set can’t have gone might have scratched must have been shouldn’t have bought could have phoned can’t have taken must have gone must write needn’t have had to do can’t/cannot take photographs needn’t have are not supposed to ‘ve got to didn’t need would never have stayed if I had taken would not have been sent you had tried harder unless it rains you speak English fluently boils if you if I won / if I were to win might have lent her would have got love to be able to only I had not told time you children were rather you didn’t regret not learning suppose someone saw you wish you wouldn’t tap has her hair washed had their car stolen
must have/got our house would not let me stay to get over wish I hadn’t said can’t have been need to post have been getting up to had the tyres checked time you went make not rather you didn’t tell could fall the exam unless who has won / who’s won I can’t find / I’m unable to find have nearly all died have just been talking have been working here for has never been haven’t seen him for haven’t found (out) has run out of has just given birth to have forgotten is as exciting the most amazing show a lot braver than a bit less far easier playing/to play of the largest cities rather go sightseeing than lye looking into looking forward to going look it up looked up to look out for looks down on I came across a waste of time no sign of going on found out under her way had never been/gone was brought up by going to India appeals to if he would like to
had been very confused by was made up of not made many appearance on luck as well asked Mary who had borrowed carry out my very few copies have much to eat doesn’t swim as well haven’t discovered the cause blamed me for (having caused) haven’t worked together for promised to come with me/us/them would rather watch football than have a word with give a presentation reach/come to/arrive at a compromise done enough preparation having a chat with have a discussion about was so intensively advertised was quickly dealt with by must have been seen carried on with is possible that can’t have been forget to bring let us take interested in buying get on well wishes he had written to it’s time you went not being able to kept in touch high time you bought which starred I used to walk looks like / looks as though wasn’t as easy as warned Eddie not to touch haven’t been surfing for didn’t deserve to be the most interesting ‘if only I had not aren’t allowed to needn’t have
aren’t supposed to park should have built must carry shouldn’t have let him carry out my to give up is capable of succeeding (really) wish I could been a rise in you must have passed don’t need to am getting used to it / am getting to like it was worn by could swim better than you will be able to could have helped me I could speak didn’t succeed in getting could be was able to drive manage to catch was made to feel is said to have have this tooth taken is expected that having my hair cut weren’t allowed to to get this suit cleaned discovery occurred was built on large/huge sums for so frightened that he could such a strong wind were too complicated for me never seen such an was not well enough such a lot of money me it was advisable unwise/not wise to drink not attempt to climb was advised not to stay are reminded (that) they not miss seeing ought to visit the cathedral are recommended to leave should have been warned about
to get my hair cut to avoid paying was responsible for taking come up with were you I would take make him out had not been snowing take-off was delayed by get used to have just been informed three years since I saw paid as much as men have given up reports of serious flooding was advised to go such an interesting book gave him a job was taken over by is responsible for deciding look like my needn’t have brought in school uniforms had his plane landed than are allowed to leave school has been unemployed for when he had peeled/finished peeling not seen Sandra since last leave until she had locked is/has been ages since I enjoyed feeling excited on arrival surprisingly easy to couldn’t wait to get took Georgina a long time from feeling tired can’t stand people interrupting arriving in time no good at remembering / not (very) good at remembering have arranged to meet John couldn’t afford to go unless I am doing will be given instructions are having our car serviced all over the not worth worrying about were out of order took five minutes to
came across warned us not to swim advised Pete against buying / advised Pete not to buy told Claire to take asked John if/whether he could offered to pick Tracy up said he would see a ban on cars makes a contribution towards don’t sympathise with to make an investment in be incapable of changing result in a saving of have a negative effect on is anger at is not safe to swim search for clues was done despite being ninety his fascination with great deal of could afford to go wish you would clean he had remembered to send had gone to bed earlier she was/were as tall as only I had not told had known it was you if I had known because she did not have have been late if if I had not forgotten we would have come was arrested for vandalising he owed his success to to let his mother hit was interested in helping must have heard might not have wanted that the elderly keep / for the elderly to keep was such a successful concert I would often spend Giving up smoking is the hardest worker is always complaining are likely to get we were asked to
object to paying spend less (money) prevented me (from) hearing went on working did not mean to insult not mind if Paul comes be hard to predict cannot/can’t afford to buy is looking forward to going am getting used to getting is good at adding up wish you had told would rather you didn’t is not allowed to don’t regret choosing have been several complaints am having my house painted made up your mind took off on time despite not dry enough to sit were interviewed by first time (that) we have where I had bought my in spite of the heavy to have/get my computer repaired ought to have been had better think was not used to walking was no need for pay (any) attention to must have seen wouldn’t have known if/whether I thought we would the fastest (that) Paula has ever is used to making we have run out of never used to take keeps (on) asking get Helen to help get paid telling me when you were (really) looking forward to finishing can’t afford to is not as/so friendly as is rare for me to me to take care of
made you come had better go to bed too noisy for me to are having central heating installed not old enough to see was/is such a frightening film didn’t take much interest book was so good (that) have lived/have been living here since months since I last went prefer eating food to cooking would rather go to the we arrived late despite me/my telling her on the point of spliting/breaking couldn’t/can’t/won’t have used is the first time have been vandalized was given this watch by is not thought to be can’t/cannot go unless you if you hadn’t reminded was going away the following if/whether she had been smoking has not made (very) much is being met would you mind telling nearly as long as take care of ought not to last time we went planning on doing would have gone told Jack not to put wasn’t strong enough is slowly getting over getting rid of tend to buy always borrowing my things without we would often go get used to sharing got used to working looking forward to seeing ‘d/had better phone did it take you to was far worse than
as sad as she the last enjoyable you work now, the less quite as much experience as were so good (that) was such bad weather was such a boring were so many soon as the meeting had the time we got to once he had/was leave until he (had) put took to him not to take him on takes pride in take much interest in was so disappointed was such a tiring wouldn’t/didn’t let me watch was made to can never do aren’t we allowed to parents should smack don’t need to hand had better tell are supposed to do too quietly for me not tall enough to are not enough eggs to is too much sugar there were too many no difficulty (in) making has nothing to do with a strong influence on have (got) the strength are having the roof repaired had his tonsils taken out to have it done by rather watch than take buying books to borrowing to phone him rather than not go out last time I spoke to first time I have eaten has been playing tennis since ages since he (last) saw/has seen
haven’t been swimming for biggest supermarket I have (ever) being able to speak fluent the fact (that) his behaviour she performed well, she lost in spite of/despite the/an increase are you planning to spend/planning on spending on the point of saying is likely to rise probably won’t/will not will probably (all) have died/may well (all) have died might not be playing must have been pleased to can’t/couldn’t have stolen your purse might have stolen your purse may have given give away a secret, would / give a secret away, would had better give/had gave a nervous laugh must not be taken is known to have broken is not thought to be will be made to must have been tapped has not been contacted by if it wasn’t/weren’t so/too if I hadn’t spoken I would not have written not help you unless you I had remembered to take give up smoking you put to put up with is being put at provided it is as long as you give ray if he had bought was such a rapid improvement advised Mett not to go knowledge of English amazes her if she was able offered to give Dawn would not be (very) many suggested eating out the next/following blamed Helen for starting/having started apologized for being warned us against/about
prevented him (from) coming insisted on seeing didn’t succeed in finding didn’t manage to get make a complaint wish I lived wish I hadn’t told rather you didn’t wear time we went wish I could go only you had brought wish you wouldn’t speak wish I knew/could know in order not to get so as not to miss in case it doesn’t so that she would not turned down an/the offer did Mike (eventually) turn up until Leyla left before both intelligent and successful although he is very young in addition to being cancelled because of bad weather by the time I got despite the fact that it whereas Carlos enjoys dancing I am unable to / I’ll be unable to / I shall be unable the last warning I are dying because of/due to stop in time to avoid so hungry I could eat is twice as much as making up his minf / making his mind up number of people in Spain didn’t think I would and I live close to warned him not to stay were driven home by not find it difficult to was put off by the ought not to have lied did not mean to break accused her of breaking his took John ages to do prevented us from going out
1289. 1290. 1291. 1292.
what my height was drove more carefully than such a deep river that hesitated before replying